Need advice on the next acquisition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on the next acquisition

Senior Bros, i have been given the opportunity to buy this 26yrs young baby. The offer is abt 3k(neg). I used to really abhor the sight of "ah pek" rollie but after wearing it for a couple of days, it's starting to grow on me.

Whole set is complete though the watch has seen better days. If I am to buy it, think I will spend at least 1 more K on the servicing cos this watch has NEVER been serviced and after 26yrs, it's still running great. The rollie technician will prob ask me to overhaul this baby which I am pretty reluctant to do. After so many years, this watch certainly has seen almost the whole world. The owner is a retired commercial pilot and after so many years of donning a rolex, he still feels that timex fits him best. WTF?

Any advice?
    Remnants of my irresponsibility:
    "Foreign affections"
    1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
    2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
    3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
    4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
    What's NEXT?

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post

Senior Bros, i have been given the opportunity to buy this 26yrs young baby. The offer is abt 3k(neg). I used to really abhor the sight of "ah pek" rollie but after wearing it for a couple of days, it's starting to grow on me.

Whole set is complete though the watch has seen better days. If I am to buy it, think I will spend at least 1 more K on the servicing cos this watch has NEVER been serviced and after 26yrs, it's still running great. The rollie technician will prob ask me to overhaul this baby which I am pretty reluctant to do. After so many years, this watch certainly has seen almost the whole world. The owner is a retired commercial pilot and after so many years of donning a rolex, he still feels that timex fits him best. WTF?

Any advice?
    Wah he let you wear a few days and try try ah? Hahaha...

My personal advice is...don't go for it. Cost of maintaining a vintage is high,unless it has sentimental value like in my case, my SS DJ. I won't take it.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
      Wah he let you wear a few days and try try ah? Hahaha...

My personal advice is...don't go for it. Cost of maintaining a vintage is high,unless it has sentimental value like in my case, my SS DJ. I won't take it.
      well, he's my uncle. no reason why he won't let me wear for a couple of days. anyway, it's the high cost tat I am concerned abt. for 3k, i can save up for my next polar expII liao.
      "Foreign affections"
      1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
      What's NEXT?

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
        well, he's my uncle. no reason why he won't let me wear for a couple of days. anyway, it's the high cost tat I am concerned abt. for 3k, i can save up for my next polar expII liao.
        NO wonder la...hahaha. Yes save for the Exp II better

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

agree.. unless this is watch will fetch you a couple of folds like for investment, I would think you won't really wear it as often.

To me, this design won't probably be used by u for a dressed-up occassion as well.. I rather you spend your $$ on the EXP II.

Since yr Uncle is so nice to let you wear it for awhile, you can probably come out with the real sentiment of owning one by having it for a week more??

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
          - GMT II
          - GMT IIc TT
          - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
          - Master Eight Days (1608420)
          - U1
          - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

personally for a half gold date just. nothing really to shout about.

like what previous 2 brothers has commented, unless there is a sentimental value - then keep it.

not service for 26 years and running does not mean the parts inside are not worn out. be prepared for a overhaul of at least 1k.
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
              personally for a half gold date just. nothing really to shout about.

like what previous 2 brothers has commented, unless there is a sentimental value - then keep it.

not service for 26 years and running does not mean the parts inside are not worn out. be prepared for a overhaul of at least 1k.
              i totally agree agree with you on that. i did not call the RSC cos i can roughly estimate the monetary damage of an overhaul.

Ok, think I will send it to JW for polishing then return it to my uncle and ask him to keep lah.

Thanks very much for all the inputs, Bros!
              "Foreign affections"
              1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
              What's NEXT?

Comment

Hmm.... I know it's a matter of personal preference, but if you're going for a datejust, maybe a S/S with fluted whitegold bezel model is more suitable? My 2 cents.
                "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
                --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X