Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Size

Hi All

Maybe just being grumpy here but I don't really get it when people complain about how big a watch is.

I see most said ideally the size should be about 39mm to 41mm max.

When jumped to 42 or 43mm, it's like end of the world!
    especially when the difference is only 1mm.

I feel the difference is really minimum (unless comparing 39mm to 43mm for example)

Maybe it's just me .

Anyone have the same feeling??

PS. No offence to anyone who prefer smaller or bigger size watches

Originally posted by ed44 View Post
    Hi All

Maybe just being grumpy here but I don't really get it when people complain about how big a watch is.

I feel the difference is really minimum (unless comparing 39mm to 43mm for example)

Maybe it's just me .

I think watch size is very personal. It is not just simply about the measurement, it is also about the case shape and design. Some designs look big on measurement but because of how the case is designed, it wears small. While some may measure small, but when worn on the wrist, looks big. If you use a 44mm Panerai watch case and a 44mm Rolex watch case to compare, the former definitely wears nicer on the wrist (my personal opinion).

Then, there's also what 'genre' of watches we are comparing as well as what our own wrist sizes are. For me, I will not like my dress/klassik watch to be big (above 40mm). A dress/klassik watch is more tasteful and nicer with a smaller case. Similarly, I will not want my sports watch to be small, otherwise, it looks weird. There's no debate. It's just all personal preference.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post

I think watch size is very personal. It is not just simply about the measurement, it is also about the case shape and design. Some designs look big on measurement but because of how the case is designed, it wears small. While some may measure small, but when worn on the wrist, looks big. If you use a 44mm Panerai watch case and a 44mm Rolex watch case to compare, the former definitely wears nicer on the wrist (my personal opinion).

Then, there's also what 'genre' of watches we are comparing as well as what our own wrist sizes are. For me, I will not like my dress/klassik watch to be big (above 40mm). A dress/klassik watch is more tasteful and nicer with a smaller case. Similarly, I will not want my sports watch to be small, otherwise, it looks weird. There's no debate. It's just all personal preference.
      Agree 100%. Dress watches tend to look nicer if they are not too big and look sleek and flat. As dress watches tend to look simple, having larger dials tend to make them appear too empty and will also lose the elegance appeal IMO. One example of dress watch that I personally like in terms of aesthetics, is the Piaget Altiplano. Sports watches, especially chronographs, on the other hand, tend to contain more information on the dial. A larger dial better enourages legibility and avoids making the watch appear overbusy. Aesthetically it will make the watch look more sporty on the wrist. Panerai is one brand in my opinion that will only look nice on the wrist only if it is huge and will look weird if it appears too small on the wrist, even though their dial designs are mostly simple. Therefore many other factors such as case and lugs design also affects the proportion. The user's wrist shape and size also affects how the watch looks on him/her. Some people has round, smooth and fleshy wrists. Such wrists look good with any type of watches. My wrist is the very veiny type. Therefore many small elegant watches look weird on my wrist.

Many watch lovers are conservative, and feel that a timeless watch should be within a specific size and have a specific look. The lugs should not overhand the wrist. For me, I do not set a definite limit. It depends on what the watch is designed for and many other factors. I have seen many small wrists, especially women wearing men's watches where the lugs overhang their wrists. Yet they looked very nice on them.

Comment

39mm to 41mm for wrist size up to about 8" wrist will look "proportionate" and will look "small" on wrist size from 8.5" and above.

case size, shape and thickness may alter the look. a good example will be the rolex deep sea sea dweller. when put on a wrist size for 8.5" and above it may look proportionate but will look like huge on a wrist size say 7".

color of strap and bracelet will also alter one's perception as well.

dial color and dial design will also make the watch look bigger or smaller on different case size.

humans are visual and hence what we see on pictures of the watch itself or on some model (including celebrity) may not look the same on our own wrist.

Originally posted by ed44 View Post
        Hi All

Maybe it's just me .

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X