Oct 2018 Rolex AD in Iceland & UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oct 2018 Rolex AD in Iceland & UK

I was travelling from 2nd October to 12 October 2018 in Iceland and UK.

The AD in Reykjavik, Iceland is Michelsen Watchmakers. As I was in Reykjavik only in evening for one night, I search and found them on Facebook and did a quick message to them around 1545 hours. I was not expecting any response until the following day. Hence, I was surprise with their quick response within 10 minutes of sending the message where I indicated the models I was interested in. They replied politely that stock level was low for Rolex stainless steel sports model and there is a wait list for the models I was looking for. They inform me that there is an explorer I in stock and that the value after tax rebate. I politely decline the offer as the price was not right for the fact that the price was higher than Singapore list price. As I was aware that UK has increased their price earlier this month, I was not sure if their list price was increased as well.

I am pleasantly surprised by 2 things about Michelsen Watchmakers was quick in their response quick and polite. This reminded me of a conversation I had about 2 years ago with a local preowned watch shop in People’s Park Centre. I asked them why they did not engage in social media like most other preowned watch shop. Their response was if they go online, they would be expected to reply to emails, what’s app messages, messages in Facebook, etc. even after their shop is closed for business. It then made me realized that another preowned watch shop who used to be the forum advertiser in golden landmark is busy replying to what’s app messages even after their operating hours.

Most AD in Singapore are engaged in social media to engage with customers (existing and potential) via email or their sales staff’s what’s app messages or its equivalent. I have seen their stacks of email on Rolex enquires. There is also other AD who publicly inform its customers not to send them email, messages, etc. The staff of this AD also stop replying to my what’s app messages which has been read (indicated by 2 blue ticks). This is not professional or is it that as customers we are expecting too much. The AD probably got too overwhelmed by the number of enquires and rather than taking time to respond, this AD chose to close down its channel of communications via emails/ what’s app messages.

We are moving towards a digital era where communications such as emails, what’s app messaging (and its equivalent) will be one of the many ways’ customers will be using. Most customers are not likely going to visit store to store to ask if this Rolex model is available or not. They will likely be emailing to the shops asking if stock is available as most rather not to make wasted trips.

The current situation with Rolex sports models especially stainless steel are not readily available. if customers are going to send email or use what’s app messages to seek stock availability, the most likely answer is unavailable. Hence a note to potential customers is get off your electronic means of communicating and start to walking to AD to seek for your watch. You may be in luck as I have heard of potential owners walking in and getting the model they want. To those AD who engaging in social media, I appreciate your time and effort in replying all customers’ queries despite your busy work load. A hint will be setting up a auto responder with a message so that the person who sends you the email know that the email is being looked into.

Next stop – London. A day before arrival, I googled for all the AD in London. I mark out a sector with the most AD in that region. Thanks to one Facebook member who gave me a head up where to go. I also emailed to Bucherer and their response was swift and indicated no stock.

The day started around 0930 where I made my way to the sector. I went to visit the various AD and asking them about the availability of stainless-steel sports model. Most shops did not have a single sports model on displayed and most replied no stock which was not surprising. Finally, in the evening I went into one AD and they had a milgauss blue dial and two-tone GMT (yellow gold and steel) on display. I asked to have a look at the milgauss and made known that I would like to purchase a stainless steel Rolex sports model. The SA then indicated that there were 3 stainless steel sports model in store, all reserved by an existing customer who has yet pick up those watches. They were a two tone, a not so sought-after stainless steel and a highly sought-after stainless-steel Rolex sports model. I asked for the option to purchase the latter 2 which my offer was politely rejected. However, the two tone was possible and the SA called the potential customer who did not answer. The SA told me that by noon tomorrow, I would be informed of the watch availability. I thank the SA and got an email address which during dinner, I dropped an email to make sure the SA did not get my email address wrong. The following day, I received an email indicating the stock availability of the two tone. I then check with someone (handed me cash prior to my departure from Singapore) who has expressed interests in the watch to confirm the purchase. It was a good to go and I proceed to inform the SA that I will be there shortly.

Later that evening, I went to Harrods and was surprised to see the stock availability of at least 4 Rolex stainless sports models being displayed. I spotted one which another close friend asked me to look out for. I contacted my close friend and he said good to go and say he will immediately transfer to said amount into my bank account. I then told one of the staffs that I was interested in that model. Within 5 mins, received a message indicating money transferred and I checked and it was there. Proceed with purchase in a private room away from public view. I would say Harrod has excellent customer service where customers will be led to private room for purchase. This area I find very lacking by the various Singapore AD Rolex boutique (those with private room when available) where most of us are sitting in full view of other customers looking at what is purchased. As a first-time customer with Harrods, this gesture will make me want to go back to them in future as I feel that they value me as a customer. If I were to be a repeated customer, I will feel more valued as their customer knowing that the AD appreciated me as a returing loyal customer.

In conclusion, as a first timer buying watch in London under these trying circumstances to get a Rolex watch is not easy which is similar in Singapore. It seems that most AD in London will give priority to their long-time customers aka the VIP or those who have spend at least a certain amount in their shop. I do understand that from a business perspective because the AD will need to keep these customers happy. The flippers are a bane to most buyers who like to own a Rolex to marked their achievement or occasion because now the AD won’t just sell it easily based on the current situation. Couple of the AD are now selling to first time buyers by do some pre-audit checks to ensure that they are not potential flippers before selling them the watch.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Wonderful shopping spree you had

So I guess the (stock availability) situation is just as bad as in Singapore

Any chance you'd share what ROLEX models you had bought for your friends, or yourself? Maybe I should also try those places you had been to.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

not really. at least at Harrods there are quite a number of pieces on display to let customer see

here in sg. nothing to display or ........

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      Wonderful shopping spree you had

So I guess the (stock availability) situation is just as bad as in Singapore

Any chance you'd share what ROLEX models you had bought for your friends, or yourself? Maybe I should also try those places you had been to.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Didn't get any Tudor from Harrods, Triton? That's another popular model
        I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
        A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
        Audemars Piguet ROO
        Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
        De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
        Habring2 Pilot Time Date
        Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
        Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
        IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
        Panerai 270
        Patek Philippe 5711/1a
        Rolex 116610LV
        Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
          not really. at least at Harrods there are quite a number of pieces on display to let customer see

here in sg. nothing to display or ........

Singapore's dislay cabinet looks like just after a robery.

Comment

Originally posted by WatchAdmirer View Post

Singapore's dislay cabinet looks like just after a robery.
            That's really hilarious .. but I agree
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

uk VAT tax refund = cheaper than Spore?

Comment

Originally posted by mopikoz View Post
                uk VAT tax refund = cheaper than Spore?
                Definitely. There are some watch shops in UK that provide full refund of 20% minus 10 pounds for admin charges. Those shops bypass refund agents like PremiereTaxFree or GlobalBlue.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X