No announcement yet.

Cleaning your watch..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ultrasound cleaning is used in the watch industry to clean watch case and bracelet especially after polishing to remove polishing wax that otherwise cannot be removed. those good things we read are true but they fail to mention that it is NOT a complete watch that they put in. rather, it is the midpart or casing without movement.

the freqency used for ultrasound is usually 25-45hz which is too harsh for delicate watch movement. i has seen pallet jewel come loose, hairspring foul, jewels dislodged from bridges and main-plate. endshake are also affected during such cleaning as friction-fitted jewels shift during cleaning. our robust rolex is design to handle shocks but not high frequency vibration over any period of time.

the video above does show a clever way of cleaning which does not immerse the head in the fluid so it is not affect by the ultrasonic vibration.

Comment

everyday after reached home, i will wash my hands and at the same time wash my rolex or tudor with dishwashing liquid.

Comment

Originally posted by SamGMT View Post
        everyday after reached home, i will wash my hands and at the same time wash my rolex or tudor with dishwashing liquid.
        Hehe, me too. Wash it after everytime after wearing, but with normal soup. Scare dishwashing liquid too strong...
        Current:
        No More Liao...

Comment

I tried capecod today. Got it from homefix. It's really amazing to remove hairline.
          - 16613LN Sub

Men talk of killing time, while time quietly kills them. ~Dion Boucicault

Comment

Originally posted by newbie09 View Post
            Hehe, me too. Wash it after everytime after wearing, but with normal soup. Scare dishwashing liquid too strong...
            Have been using dishwashing liquid for many years....Rolex still looks great....i think no problems

Comment

I think the whole watch is in the water from what I view from the video...

Originally posted by Bergeon View Post
              ultrasound cleaning is used in the watch industry to clean watch case and bracelet especially after polishing to remove polishing wax that otherwise cannot be removed. those good things we read are true but they fail to mention that it is NOT a complete watch that they put in. rather, it is the midpart or casing without movement.

the freqency used for ultrasound is usually 25-45hz which is too harsh for delicate watch movement. i has seen pallet jewel come loose, hairspring foul, jewels dislodged from bridges and main-plate. endshake are also affected during such cleaning as friction-fitted jewels shift during cleaning. our robust rolex is design to handle shocks but not high frequency vibration over any period of time.

the video above does show a clever way of cleaning which does not immerse the head in the fluid so it is not affect by the ultrasonic vibration.
              Present:
              Rolex Explorer I , 114270
              Rolex Explorer II , 16570
              Rolex Submariner 16110 LV
              Tudor Glamour DayDate, 56003
              Tag Heur Classic 2000
              Orient Diver CEM75001B

Comment

Personally, I would just clean my water resistant watches (on bracelet, rubber strap, etc.) under cold running tap water after getting home each day ...
                运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

It is important to note that oiling is essential, oiling lubricates the watch. Friction kills the watch as metals rub against metals, without oiling worn out can and will affect the watch. Dipping the watch in ultrasonic as a whole watch is generally not recommended though and as it cleans and remove the lubrications the newly cleaned watch does not have any lubrications at all. If everything is that easy, why pay so much to have a watch serviced ?

Comment

Originally posted by psee View Post
                    Personally, I would just clean my water resistant watches (on bracelet, rubber strap, etc.) under cold running tap water after getting home each day ...
                    yup water resistant watches do not stay resistant forever . as the gasket worn out, water will eventually slip in. that is why generally water resistant guarantees for less than a year in most service center in the state.

Comment

The only thing thats needed to keep any Rolex oyster clean is plain soap and water.No need for any fancy special cloths or soaps just wash rinse in plain clean water twice a week.But more if working in dirty dusty places or spending a lot of time underwater in sea.And then with just normal service times Rolex Oyster watches will last for decades. Mine are all fine after well over 30 years around Rolex plus other watches.Rolex watches are made from some of the strongest materials on the planet and don't need any sort of pampering just a wash is plain old soap and water.As for the seals etc if watches are not used underwater regularly then the seal will be fine until normal service.If using watch regular underwater I would recommend a pressure check minium annually.

Comment

Originally posted by daytona 6263 View Post
                        The only thing thats needed to keep any Rolex oyster clean is plain soap and water.No need for any fancy special cloths or soaps just wash rinse in plain clean water twice a week.But more if working in dirty dusty places or spending a lot of time underwater in sea.And then with just normal service times Rolex Oyster watches will last for decades. Mine are all fine after well over 30 years around Rolex plus other watches.Rolex watches are made from some of the strongest materials on the planet and don't need any sort of pampering just a wash is plain old soap and water.As for the seals etc if watches are not used underwater regularly then the seal will be fine until normal service.If using watch regular underwater I would recommend a pressure check minium annually.
                        I second that....

Comment

thanks for sharing~

Comment

I went to check with a scientist who worked in Singapore who is an expert in ultrasonic cleaner and etc, this is the exact thing he mentioned.

"You cannot put the entire watch into the ultrasonic cleaner if the watch is not waterproof because the water will damage the watch head's internal extreme small parts."
                            Present:
                            Rolex Explorer I , 114270
                            Rolex Explorer II , 16570
                            Rolex Submariner 16110 LV
                            Tudor Glamour DayDate, 56003
                            Tag Heur Classic 2000
                            Orient Diver CEM75001B

Comment

Originally posted by prince7 View Post
                              I went to check with a scientist who worked in Singapore who is an expert in ultrasonic cleaner and etc, this is the exact thing he mentioned.

"You cannot put the entire watch into the ultrasonic cleaner if the watch is not waterproof because the water will damage the watch head's internal extreme small parts."
                              Well that would be just common sense no watch if not waterproof or water
                              resistant to a min of 100m should be fully submerged in water.Ultrasonics are fine for cleaning case bracelet and empty watch heads and full stripped down movement parts.But a complete fulling working movement in watch head should not be put in any ultrasonic cleaner.

Comment

even RSC do NOT clean watches with movement in ultrasonic, only case and bracelet.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X