Price of Collecting Rolex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of Collecting Rolex

I have recently started collecting Rolex watches & in the past two years my collection has grown to 8 pieces, I suddenly realise that in another 2 years time it is going to cost me total SD3.2k (assuming it is still SD400/- a piece) just to send in all my Rolexes for just normal servicing in RSC, Phwee.....can't imagine. I still think of adding a couple more but the thought of the above give me cold sweat.
    Any solution from fellow members here.

Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
    I have recently started collecting Rolex watches & in the past two years my collection has grown to 8 pieces, I suddenly realise that in another 2 years time it is going to cost me total SD3.2k (assuming it is still SD400/- a piece) just to send in all my Rolexes for just normal servicing in RSC, Phwee.....can't imagine. I still think of adding a couple more but the thought of the above give me cold sweat.
    Any solution from fellow members here.

erm...sell a few watches off and lessen your servicing needs....

maybe like some guys here they have personal watchmakers that service their watches at a lesser fee than rsc
    SRC is bad dealer !

Comment

if with 8 pieces u feeling the pinch, then i wonder how our bro-psee will feel having at least 34 watches.

RSC recommends rolex owner to service their rolex about 3-4 years once. so if the cost is spread out is spread out over 4 years, it is 100 annually. this equates to about 9 packs of malboro. it is too high a cost?

if you feel that it is too costly, then start reducing your watch collection.

alternatively, u can choose not to service your rolex at all until it breaks down completely. just like my dad's rolex. he service once every decade, which cost about 1k.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I know some shop do 'full servicing" for SD200/ pcs but they are also second hand dealers which mean our watches will be completely at their mercy once they strip it down to bits what I worry most is will the same parts be fitted back during assembly of the watch? maybe I am overly kiasu.

Thanks for you response, it is nice to share.

Comment

check if they have Rolex parts account, if so, not so bad, if no, beware as they may have to bring in parts from o'seas or use OEM
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

most important is that you trust the individual shops, i know some of our forum members use these independent watch makers. look @ the FAQ section where there is a thread discussing about pre-own shops. you may want to ask horologyfantic who is a member here. maybe u can pm him and ask. alternatively, there is also a couple of them @ golden landmark hotel. you may also want to try places like Top Hour @ lucky plaza or JW Watch @ Great Eastern Building.

should u want to engage these independent watch repairs, you do @ your own risk.

Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
            I know some shop do 'full servicing" for SD200/ pcs but they are also second hand dealers which mean our watches will be completely at their mercy once they strip it down to bits what I worry most is will the same parts be fitted back during assembly of the watch? maybe I am overly kiasu.

Thanks for you response, it is nice to share.
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
            2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Guess that's part of the price to pay for watch collecting (a little like petrol, car insurance, ERP, parking, maintenance, etc. for cars?)

IMHO, the service charges by Rolex is already fairly reasonable ... For illustration purposes, when my friend sent in his RG AP Jules Audemars Globe (a simple Cal 3120 watch with time, second and date only) for regular servicing recently, the price quoted by AP was S$2+k (for some incomprehensible reasons, AP recommended replacement of all the RG outer case screws and the RG crown even though these seem fine?)

So far, the most I have paid for servicing is the S$1+k for a simple Breguet Type-XX Aero which was since sold. I have been sticking to the authorised service centres so far but may either trim down my collection or start considering independent watch-makers for servicing purposes ...
              Last edited by psee; 12-05-08, 09:12 PM.
              运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

im not sure if the cost of servicing is proportionate to the cost of watch. say a 5k watch with service of 500 is estimated to be about 10% of value of watch. so if base on this theory, is your friend RG AP about 30k?

if it is a simple watch with date, the servicing should not cost that much. however, with additional functions such as chronograph, flyback, rattrapante, perpetual calendar, regulateur, minute repeater, etc. i would not sent to independent watch repairers. i would feel safer if my watch is in the authorised service centre repairers

Originally posted by psee View Post
                Guess that's part of the price to pay for watch collecting (a little like petrol, car insurance, ERP, parking, maintenance, etc. for cars?)

IMHO, the service charges by Rolex is already fairly reasonable ... For illustration purposes, when my friend sent in his RG AP Jules Audemars Globe (a simple Cal 3120 watch with time, second and date only) for regular servicing recently, the price quoted by AP was S$3+k (for some incomprehensible reasons, AP recommended replacement of all the RG outer case screws and the RG crown even though these seem fine?)

So far, the most I have paid for servicing is the S$1+k for a simple Breguet Type-XX Aero which was since sold. I have been sticking to the authorised service centres so far but may either trim down my collection or start considering independent watch-makers for servicing purposes ...

kindly email with
                2. your nick

Comment

thanks everyone for your kind replies and I will take it as a parts & puzzle of collecting watches, what I have today, I thinks it is still manageable as far as normal servicing is concern.
                  For all Rolex owners out there, I believe all of us would rather and I would strongly recommend that we send our watches to RSC if there is a need for any servicing just to have a piece of mind.

Cheers & have a good day

Comment

How do you know your watch is oiled and cleaned? The watch servicer may just close the the case without doing anything. They may put the watch one side and go for coffee. When you come to collect weeks later they pick up the same untouch watch and say here you go $200 or $500(RSC). I prefer to service when it spoilt to prove they done their job.
                    Last edited by teo; 12-05-08, 05:14 PM.
                    Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                    Rolex LV submariner
                    Rolex TT black submariner
                    Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                    Rolex Non date submariner
                    Rolex Explorer2
                    More...

Comment

Hahaha...like that also can..

Anyway I too paid quite alot of money for servicing...it's like that 1 la.THose complicated 1s even worse haha

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

wat u say is also true. however, u have to believe that when u send it in, they truly do it.

Originally posted by teo View Post
                        How do you know your watch is oiled and cleaned? The watch servicer may just close the the case without doing anything. They may put the watch one side and go for coffee. When you come to collect weeks later they pick up the same untouch watch and say here you go $200 or $500(RSC). I prefer to service when it spoilt to prove they done their job.

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

Comment

questions:

1. can send for servicing at rsc while watch is still under warranty and do they charge us anything?

2. if we wear watch until dead then we send it in to rsc as compared to send watch for servicing every 3-4 yrs (does servicing buy any form of warranty thereafter?) ..which one more value for money as experienced by lao jiaos?
                          In The Bag
                          Him
                          Tissot PR100 AutoQuartz T14.1.489.11, Longines Dolce Vita L56554736, Rolex SS Submariner 16610, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Glycine Airman SST 06 Ref:3856.186-D8, Seiko Blue Ti Samurai SBDA003, Diver SKX007J, Black Sumo SBDC001, Tuna Can SBBN007, Orange Monster SKX781, Vintage Diver 6309-7040, Vintage Bellmatic 4006-7002
                          Her
                          Tissot PR50 T27.2.281.13, Longines Dolce Vita L51584736

Next Target
                          Damned! My wife's list is not growing...Rolex MOP Datejust for Missus...

Comment

RSC give a one year warranty for watches repaired by them. If you wait till your watch 'mati" then you send in, then I guess the price you going to pay will depend on the fault diagnosed plus the price of the general servicing which include oiling & change of seals etc. can amount to above 1k.
                            some swear by Rolex's recommended servicing schedule, others got away with not servicing their watches at all, I am sure we all heard stories told by them.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                              if with 8 pieces u feeling the pinch, then i wonder how our bro-psee will feel having at least 34 watches.

RSC recommends rolex owner to service their rolex about 3-4 years once. so if the cost is spread out is spread out over 4 years, it is 100 annually. this equates to about 9 packs of malboro. it is too high a cost?

if you feel that it is too costly, then start reducing your watch collection.

alternatively, u can choose not to service your rolex at all until it breaks down completely. just like my dad's rolex. he service once every decade, which cost about 1k.
                              hahaaa...true for psee collection...

one way out...send in yr watch before the warranty expires..usually most swiss brands will extend the warranty by another year...it's a "delay" to pay the servicing fee...i did this for my Corum...but forgotten to do it for the rest of my pieces.

cheers

james
                              I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                              A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                              Audemars Piguet ROO
                              Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                              De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                              Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                              Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                              Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                              IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                              Panerai 270
                              Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                              Rolex 116610LV