No announcement yet.

What is a daily beater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it depends i feel, if u have plenty of watches. u can always change watch daily. But if u only have 1 or 2 watches like me then i suppose Monday this and tuesday that and wednesday this again and thursday that again. u know stuff like that? so work hard and earn more money so u can have plenty of watches and EVERYDAY u can wear something diff.

Comment

Originally posted by portisfish View Post
      have narrowed down to 5513, 14060/M, 16800, 16610.

I wonder which model is the least over priced now? Thanks.
      if you can live without a date (and that's easy with cell phones and what not)...

locally the least overpriced (IMO) is the 14060M, followed by the 16610.

personally, i wore a DR 1665 almost daily in NZ for a few years in a hospital setting. not a problem.

prior to that, i wore a 5513 in US; also for a few years, and in a super busy teaching hospital... again no problems.

sure, i scratched and banged them around on any and everything... but these watches were designed to take the licks.

whichever watch you wear, just make sure it's one that you will smile at on a daily basis (it IS gonna be your beater, right?)...

thinking back, my most peaceful moments in a lousy and screwed up busy work day were from looking at my watch through super duper tired eyes... : ))))) absolutely uplifting.

now that i work in singapore, i'm using a low-key sapphire tudor sub, but i think i would much prefer the acrylic version of it so i'm keeping my eyes peeled for one...

thus if you're not a sapphire crystal lover, you might want to fork out a little bit more to avoid the 14060/M or 16610.

finally, make sure you factor in the cost of a full RSC service (and perhaps a matching bracelet) and you're good to go for a long time...
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by portisfish View Post
        due to the manual or hands-on work requirement at my work, a cheaper series (probably newer series) for daily wear or beater certainly sound logical.

was also thinking… since I want one, maybe get one which will attract a few looks from fellow rolex enthusiasts with maybe a 1670 or 5513.
        i forgot to give you a reply on this earlier... some "hands-on work" won't scratch a watch. others would.

i now have to repeat to you: sapphire crystals are not scratch proof (but you knew that). i've scratched many sapphire crystals on rolex watches in the course of my indoor work.

so acrylic might work out better (?) in your case as most marks can be buffed out/reduced while watching TV - at least that's what i do!

also, in my experience (and that's not a long stint i've had here) there's no such thing as an eagle-eyed singaporean/asian not knowing you wear a rolex...

if you don't want people to know you're not wearing a rolex, don't wear a rolex. it can be seen and sniffed out from far away!!!

someone WILL call out your watch, and expect it to be at the most inappropriate moment.

in my line of work, it has given enough people the wrong impression about me that i've resorted to NOT wearing a watch with a rolex dial while working.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Before the internet,there wasn't the term beater watch.You bought a watch
          to wear.Maybe think about it that way.I bought a submariner in 1978 and still wear it every day.It looks pretty rough but the marks tells the story of my
          submariner.Its survived.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X