Submariner or Sea-Dweller 44mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submariner or Sea-Dweller 44mm?

anyone can tell me the difference? and which one will you go for?

SD no cyclops. Sub Date has cyclops
    SD can go underwater deeper compared to Sub Date

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
      The SD has the HEV no Cyclops over date on crystal,dial is slightly smaller than sub,SD is slightly thicker and weighs in 23 grams heavier.And SD has a much greater pressure rating but doubt if you will be needing that.The bracelet on the SD has polished sides and has a extra quarter link plus the divers extension link.Both watch use the same cal 3135 and the SD cost a bit more than the 16610 sub.
      Originally posted by triton View Post
      SD no cyclops. Sub Date has cyclops
      SD can go underwater deeper compared to Sub Date
      Yes the SD can stand more pressure,but most recreational divers today would limit there dives to a maximum of around 45m.Believe it or not more men have gone to the moon,than to go over 300m underwater just wearing scuba gear.A guy called Nuno Gomes holds the record just over 318m it took him around 30 minutes to go down and just over 12 hours to get back to surface without the need for any de-compression.These types of dive are not possible without a huge backup and very very careful planning.

Comment

first of all, as a diver, i wont go down with my SD/sub. i would just go with my dive computer and another citizen/seiko digital dive watch. why? i rather be safe with my dive depth and time.

as with all dives, there is a need for safety stop.

i wouldn't want to risk losing a few thousand dollars watch to the deep blue sea.

Originally posted by daytona 6263 View Post
        Yes the SD can stand more pressure,but most recreational divers today would limit there dives to a maximum of around 45m.Believe it or not more men have gone to the moon,than to go over 300m underwater just wearing scuba gear.A guy called Nuno Gomes holds the record just over 318m it took him around 30 minutes to go down and just over 12 hours to get back to surface without the need for any de-compression.These types of dive are not possible without a huge backup and very very careful planning.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Guys I think we need to be careful which sub date we are comparing to. The new 116610LN is larger than the old sub, has all the niceties we used to like about the SD (solid end links etc) and a far better clasp, plus made in a better steel.
          J

Comment

Originally posted by BigJ9999 View Post
            Guys I think we need to be careful which sub date we are comparing to. The new 116610LN is larger than the old sub, has all the niceties we used to like about the SD (solid end links etc) and a far better clasp, plus made in a better steel.
            J
            Not true the 16610 Subs have had the SEL bracelets since around 2000 and even then the case ring was made from the same 904L S.steel.That in reality its only very slightly different to what the other 99.998% of the whole watch industry uses 316L S.steel.The main difference between 316L over 904L it has slightly more Molybdenum(Mo)approx 2% more, approx 1-2% more Crome(Cr), 1% more copper(Cu) and approx 10% more nickel and thats it. And the block case might look bigger but its still 40mm just like the 16610.While the clasp might prove to be better there have been a few reports of broken welds on the new clasps.While the older fliplock has been well proved in well over 40 years on millions upon millions of Rolex watches world wide newer is not always better even with Rolex .

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
              first of all, as a diver, i wont go down with my SD/sub. i would just go with my dive computer and another citizen/seiko digital dive watch. why? i rather be safe with my dive depth and time.

as with all dives, there is a need for safety stop.

i wouldn't want to risk losing a few thousand dollars watch to the deep blue sea.
              Myself was a diving instructor PADI and BSAC retired now I once lost a SD in the Red Sea but that was replaced with my dive insurance.Yes today most divers would use a computer and most a back up watch.Myself used quite a lot a Citizen Aqualand 11 well over 500 dives that watch gave me far more diving related information than a simple time lapse bezel.But today would doubt if 90% of all dive type watches bought ever see any water except for perhaps a shower or dip in the pool.

Comment

Originally posted by daytona 6263 View Post
                Myself was a diving instructor PADI and BSAC retired now I once lost a SD in the Red Sea but that was replaced with my dive insurance.Yes today most divers would use a computer and most a back up watch.Myself used quite a lot a Citizen Aqualand 11 well over 500 dives that watch gave me far more diving related information than a simple time lapse bezel.But today would doubt if 90% of all dive type watches bought ever see any water except for perhaps a shower or dip in the pool.
                Nice to see a dive master in the forum!!!

Heard that the Red Sea is one of the most beautiful places to dive.

And I fully agree most luxury dive watches are for show than truly used for serious diving, I for one is guilty of using the Sub as a fashion watch!
                Current
                ------------
                SS Rolex Submariner (Black)
                SS Rolex Daytona (Black)
                SS Rolex Explorer II 42mm (Black)

Comment

Originally posted by hyper social View Post

Heard that the Red Sea is one of the most beautiful places to dive.

And I fully agree most luxury dive watches are for show than truly used for serious diving, I for one is guilty of using the Sub as a fashion watch!
                  Yes I have dived world wide except Australia and many visits to Singapore as stop overs while working around Indonesia.But the Red Sea has some of the finest reefs in the world very clear waters and can be dived all year round my all time favourite place to dive.

Comment

Originally posted by hypersocial View Post
                    for what it's worth: a DM is not a DI.

i'm a (lapsed) NAUI instructor - i don't work in that industry and just took the certification as a relative was a Course Director and my courses were heavily discounted.

however i had to spend time assisting/instructing as a DM/ADI/DI. i also went on many leisure dive trips.

depending on the type of trip the operator promotes, i still see a fair share of branded dive watches on divers' wrists, especially on luxury liveaboards/resorts. some even dive with their gmt2s...!

however with the local younger crowd (i'm not that old myself as i'm only 30 years young!), who usually go for cheaper weekend trips, i don't notice this trend. logically, if they're young and on a budget, they wouldn't want to risk damaging a watch that had cost them a few months' pay...

i personally wear 2 dive computers when instructing, or 1 personal dive computer + rolex 1665 during other dives. my vintage sea-dweller still works great on all my dive trips! when i was undergoing tri-mix and rebreather training in florida some years back, i saw many rolexes too!
                    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

double post. but i'll do a quick reply to get the topic back on track...

i would go for the sub as it's more suitable for (my) small asian wrist than a DSSD.

if you have big wrists, go for whichever you prefer.
                      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                        for what it's worth: a DM is not a DI.

...my vintage sea-dweller still works great on all my dive trips! when i was undergoing tri-mix and rebreather training in florida some years back, i saw many rolexes too!
                        Thanks for the clarifications, reason I presume he is a dive master as he has more than 500 dives under his belt, he dives worldwide and at the red sea.

I respect you for using a vintage sea-dweller to go diving!!! Think one day when I get my diving license, I may wanna try diving with my Sub too!!!
                        Current
                        ------------
                        SS Rolex Submariner (Black)
                        SS Rolex Daytona (Black)
                        SS Rolex Explorer II 42mm (Black)

Comment

my wrist is big so SD 44m is very suitable..thanks guys..

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X