Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to inspect when buying AD watch.

Hi guys,
    Looking to get my first Rolex soon. Most prob will be a black Milgauss or DJ2.

Have spent the last month researching online like it's my O-Levels tomorrow. Most info on the net about buying a Rolex is about how to make sure that it is the genuine item (from grey market or non-AD).

How about if you are buying it from a reputable AD like THG/Sincere/Cortina? Since no need to waste time making sure that it is genuine, I would like to learn what do the bros here look at then after they plonk down the $$$?

Specifically are there things that can potentially vary from piece to piece (eg how 'smooth' the seconds hand is), or signs that it is not a 'new virgin' piece, or making sure that such and such protective sticker is on, or things that you will always insist on.....etc.

Apologies if the info is already on the net but I've searched and can't find it esp in the context of buying from a Singaporean AD. Would appreciate if the bros here can share their personal SOPs, or point me to the right direction.

Thank you!

Buy from AD almost nothing to worry. The pieces put on the glass display mostly have been put on by customers who come in and browse. But there is little chance they have others still in the safe that has not been touched.

Just look at the watch to see that there is no small dings. AD most likely no such things. Customers who try on don't drop the watches or knock it against wall or table.

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
      Buy from AD almost nothing to worry. The pieces put on the glass display mostly have been put on by customers who come in and browse. But there is little chance they have others still in the safe that has not been touched.

Just look at the watch to see that there is no small dings. AD most likely no such things. Customers who try on don't drop the watches or knock it against wall or table.
      bro you will be surprised the so call "brand new" at the display could have been polished before to make them looking "brand new" again after kiss knock ding...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
        bro you will be surprised the so call "brand new" at the display could have been polished before to make them looking "brand new" again after kiss knock ding...LOL
        Ha. Like that cannot trust anyone. What if I buy a brand new Rolex from AD and bring to RSC and they say it's been polished before...how?

Think I better stick to pre-owned. At least polished before also nothing to worry.

How about buy from boutique? Safe boh?

Comment

Bought a Daytona from our local AD and found out that there is some discoloring on the bezel when i bring it home the same day !
          Lucky the AD gave me a one to one exchange the next day !
          Focal JM_Labs .
          "The Sprits Of Sounds".

Rolex WG Daytona D series Silver dial 116509
          Rolex RG DD II with pink diamond dial V Series 218235
          Rolex YG President DD with Diamond and Ruby 18038
          Rolex Explorer I Black D series 114270
          Rolex DJ TT Grey Dial 16233
          Rolex Precision 6694 Black Dial
          Rolex Precision 6694 Silver Dial
          Rolex Oyster Perpetual Z series black dial 176200
          Panerai 233K 8 days power reserve
          Cartier Santos 100XL
          Hublot Big Bang Edition 44mm

Comment

I think it is similar to most items you buy new from any retailers, from clothes to jewelleries, household items to electrical appliances, etc. You just need to do some basic checks on the watch and the docs issued.
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Ha. Like that cannot trust anyone. What if I buy a brand new Rolex from AD and bring to RSC and they say it's been polished before...how?

Think I better stick to pre-owned. At least polished before also nothing to worry.

How about buy from boutique? Safe boh?
              haha bro, you one of the gurus in horology...but seriously i have seen this happens, that if you like to hang out at our local workshops. Dun be surprised to see sales staff bringing in watches to them for polishing,esp those from the showcases. If you buying new at the AD,my advise is tell SA "i wanna those from your safe" not from the showcase. If no stock,than i come back again. bro one of my buddies brought a sud "brand new" hor,happily thought bo tai ji " brand new mah frm AD. After a few days looking at the dial...wah say! one of the index lume like not painted properly..

Comment

Rolex should be ok 99% of the time with full set, full stickers intact.
                I will run through to check dinks for new piece.

I have seen Europe ad "new Pam" with scratches and dinks.
                Wonder if returned or they use it for joy wear.
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  I think it is similar to most items you buy new from any retailers, from clothes to jewelleries, household items to electrical appliances, etc. You just need to do some basic checks on the watch and the docs issued.
                  Hi, Just wanna ask how to make sure they really take from the safe and brand new piece and not from other showcase????

Comment

if it is new from safe, usually it is kept in a plastic container with all the stickers on the watch intact. all corresponding tags/label are also there.

Originally posted by nescafe View Post
                    Hi, Just wanna ask how to make sure they really take from the safe and brand new piece and not from other showcase????
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

i would like most other members suggested, ask for a brand new one from safe. this watch is usually kept in a plastic container.

i would then have a quick scan through to look for all stickers that are intact.

i would then ask for a loupe if i forget to bring mine and examine the watch carefully.

i would then match the serial number on the watch case against the paper/card.

i would then check for if there are all the tags present. green and red tags.

i would check that i am given the right model booklet(s).

after all is done, then i hand over payment.
                      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                        i would like most other members suggested, ask for a brand new one from safe. this watch is usually kept in a plastic container.

i would then have a quick scan through to look for all stickers that are intact.

i would then ask for a loupe if i forget to bring mine and examine the watch carefully.

Good steps.
                        Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Ha. Not easy to earn your money. I would usually only go to my familiar SA. She won't pull such trick on me. Very few pieces sealed in safe. Those in safe and sealed are mostly the PP and Lange.

Originally posted by triton View Post

Comment

wow...then i must be really lucky...my subc tt is sealed in the plastic container and the SA broke the seal in front of me...hehehehe....
                            Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

even if i deal with my regular SA i still practise the same. why? because i am wearing the watch & i am paying. it pays to be safe. as you always say, buy the seller. but once money and goods transfer hands, any issues, buyer have to see the seller's face. so i rather play safe.

Ha. Not easy to earn your money. I would usually only go to my familiar SA. She won't pull such trick on me. Very few pieces sealed in safe. Those in safe and sealed are mostly the PP and Lange.

kindly email with
                              2. your nick

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X