Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex future resale value due to change in serial numbers

Dear all

I wish to hear your opinions of the resale of rolex watches in the future, apparently they will change the way they number their rolex, making it impossible for collectors to know which year the watch is made. Only rolex have the information. BTW i am a new rolex owner so i am just wondering how it will impact previous models that have the old numbering system. In the future there is no way to know the age of the rolex unless we email the details to rolex switzerland, but i dont think they have the time to entertain the numerous daily requests.

I got this from here

http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

an abstract at the end

The system started with the letter "R", whcih was then subsequently followed by L-E-X. Thus spelling out the word "ROLEX" with the "O" being omitted, to help avert any possible confusion with the number "0". This sequence continued through November 1991, when a new numbering system was introduced utilizing the letters N, C and S, which took them through 1993. In 1994, Rolex started yet another sequence with the letters: W, T and U, then A, P, and K in subsequent years, followed by Y, F, D, Z, M, V and then G in 2010.

Please note, during the 1990s and 2000s, it is estimated that Rolex produced around around 1 million watches per year. Coincidentally, the numbering sequence of any particular Letter from this system (e.g. V000001 to V999999), would in fact also be 1 million serial numbers, and worked well with this system. It is worth mentioning that Rolex would not cease a letter prefix run at the end of a given calendar year, but would continue a letter run until all numbers were used before changing the prefix code. Therefore, letter prefixes could end at random times of the year, and did not start or stop at the beginning or end of a calendar year.

Then, later in 2010, they scrapped the entire system and implemented a brand new "Random" numbering system, in which each watch is issued a (unique) 7-digit "Random" number consisting of numbers and letters. An example of this number would be something like "169L7F4". This offers them a seemingly endless numbering system by which they could continue indefinitely. Figuring 7 digits with a possible 36 characters (26 letters and 10 numbers) per digit, gives them over 78 Billion (78,364,164,096 to be exact) possible serial numbers.

This also offers Rolex an opportunity to keep the exact year of manufacture for any particular watch a secret. Something that has come back to haunt them for some time now. Therefore, only Rolex knows exactly when any particular watch was made and they aren't talking.

i dont think the serial number is going to have any impact on price in the preowned market *imo*; those that care will want certificate/invoice/service receipt/etc. on the other hand there is also alot of people who dont give two hoots about age when buying a watch. they see, price ok, they will buy.
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

i beg to differ. say a D series GMT II vs a M series GMT II, there will be price difference.

i think price has to match the condition of watch and also the availability of box and papers, servicing done, etc.

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
      i dont think the serial number is going to have any impact on price in the preowned market *imo*; those that care will want certificate/invoice/service receipt/etc. on the other hand there is also alot of people who dont give two hoots about age when buying a watch. they see, price ok, they will buy.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

it may affect only those without certification/receipt. because without certification/receipt, there is no 100% foolproof way to tell when the watch was produced unless it is being brought to RSC. (currently as no one outside Rolex can decipher the code)

so if i were to buy a preown rolex watch(alphanumeric) in future, i will look for one with certification. this has always been my principle in buying preown watch, certification is a must.

however, to others it may not matter. but this may give rise to sellers raising the price of preown alphanumeric series. say a owner has a alphanumeric series rolex bought in 2011 @ price X. and alphanumeric series is in place for the next 5 years. rolex keeps increasing price till it reaches X+500. owner decides to sell it in the 4th year.

puts up for sale after polish for a price of X+200. claims that the watch is under 1 year old. managed to sell it to a unsuspecting buyer because sold without certification or receipt.

hope someone managed to decipher the code soon.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Nowadays, most people keep the box and papers. So whatever system also no issue. So, if I buy a random number piece, I will insist on paper which is not difficult at all.

Comment

yes it is launched short time. what i put forth is in future.

Originally posted by larry88
            i thought alphanumeric series was launched for a very short time only, in between V and G? ie, around 2010/2011?

kindly email with
            2. your nick

Comment

Another reason, why Rolex might be doing this is for stocking purposes.I.e. a watch can be in the shop for a few years, and without the alphanumeric or series code, no one will be able to date how long the watch has been in the shop.

So as to how it will affect the 2nd hand price, is that without the date of purchase, the buyer will always take it that the watch was from the earlier production date.

In a way it will affect grey dealers, cos if i see an undated cert or a cert dated(but no AD chop) I would think the seller could have any how whack a newer date.

Comment

with series aka V series, G series, one can tell the period of production. however with alphanumberic series, currently only Rolex knows, so i will take extra care when purchasing a watch with alphanumeric series with no date stamped on it.

i have mentioned that before without date on warranty card, a seller can potentially indicate that the watch was produced more recently than it really is. so i wont buy the watch with a undated card.

i will never buy a watch with a warranty card with no AD stamp on it. why? because i dont know where the watch is from. it can be stolen. however, if i got no choice i will definitely go to RSC to verify the watch before purchase.

Originally posted by TheKing View Post
                a watch can be in the shop for a few years, and without the alphanumeric or series code, no one will be able to date how long the watch has been in the shop.

So as to how it will affect the 2nd hand price, is that without the date of purchase, the buyer will always take it that the watch was from the earlier production date.

In a way it will affect grey dealers, cos if i see an undated cert or a cert dated(but no AD chop) I would think the seller could have any how whack a newer date.

kindly email with
                2. your nick

Comment

so if u have a alpha numeric rolex without cert, it may be hard to resell in future

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X