Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will changing dials affect RSC verfification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will changing dials affect RSC verfification?

Dear all, have an enquiry on rolex dials from a newbie that I hope the experts here can help. Recently bought an E series? (serial no starts with E) datejust for the missus and had it authenticated at RSC. Was told that the dial is fading and was suggested to change the diamond dial in addition with servicing as the watch's "oil dry". The quote for a new gold coloured diamond dial alone was $2k after "trading in" the old one.

Was quite taken aback by that quote. Is there anywhere that I could purchase an original dial (1st or 2nd hand) or recon the current dial and still have it pass RSC verfication in the future?

Worried that if I have it changed or reconned at a pre-owned shop like JW/Chuan/top hour..etc and try to sell it in the future, the potential buyer may insist on RSC's verification only.

Many thanks, tried to search the forum first but did not find any answers.

If I'm not mistaken, you have to officially go to RSC to update the details of the watch changes so that they can update your warranty card ( i think it costs $150). However, I am almost 100% sure that the changes will have to be done by them and not from any outsiders.

Comment

Hi nim,

Thanks for the advice.

Actually was quoted a few hundred dollars for a pre-owned one if I trade in the current dial as compared to $2k at RSC.

I agree that a brand new one is the best option but if I wish to add another $2k, I would rather trade in and get a "newer" Rolex watch.

Anyone else to advise?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Kenliuliu,

Thanks for your advice, watch no longer under warranty.

$2k quite alot though, could actually trade in and get another watch instead.

Was told a different story by the pre-owned shop. Was told that as long it is an original dial it should be okay. Unless its aftermarket or recon they will verify as "dial re-conditioned" or "aftermarket dial".

Comment

the most important thing when you change your dial especially for datejust model is that the dial must 'fit' into the any of configuration dial that is listed by rolex. this means that the dial and/or diammond/roman/numeric markers must be one of the configuration listed by rsc.

secondly, if you decide to change to a dial outside RSC, make sure you keep your original (not so good condition dial). why? so that if buyer wants to go RSC to authenticate, at least you can put back the original dial for authentication purpose.

Originally posted by gremlin_loh View Post
          Dear all, have an enquiry on rolex dials from a newbie that I hope the experts here can help. Recently bought an E series? (serial no starts with E) datejust for the missus and had it authenticated at RSC. Was told that the dial is fading and was suggested to change the diamond dial in addition with servicing as the watch's "oil dry". The quote for a new gold coloured diamond dial alone was $2k after "trading in" the old one.

Was quite taken aback by that quote. Is there anywhere that I could purchase an original dial (1st or 2nd hand) or recon the current dial and still have it pass RSC verfication in the future?

Worried that if I have it changed or reconned at a pre-owned shop like JW/Chuan/top hour..etc and try to sell it in the future, the potential buyer may insist on RSC's verification only.

Many thanks, tried to search the forum first but did not find any answers.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

there is no need to officially 'inform' them

Originally posted by kenlinliu1419 View Post
            If I'm not mistaken, you have to officially go to RSC to update the details of the watch changes so that they can update your warranty card ( i think it costs $150). However, I am almost 100% sure that the changes will have to be done by them and not from any outsiders.
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
            2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Thanks Triton,

Keeping the old dial is a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                there is no need to officially 'inform' them
                True. What I meant to say was that if you want Rolex to officially keep track of the details of your watch (and as long as the warranty is still valid), you should inform them (for a $150 fee). They will update your warranty card as well as their database. This will help any potential buyer in the future should they decide to verify the watch at RSC.

Comment

That's true. Bought a 2nd hand watch from reputable shop, they changed the dial for me. I was originally shocked that they can do this, but they mentioned that the model number does not indicate the color of the dial thus no danger. I went ahead and authenticate at RSC with the new dial and it was authenticated as genuine even when the dial was changed from original.

I didn't keep the old dial though as the swap is free and its one for one exchange. Newer models have specific color letters behind the serial number. Eg LN and LV, making it more difficult to swap for different dials.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by triton View Post
                  the most important thing when you change your dial especially for datejust model is that the dial must 'fit' into the any of configuration dial that is listed by rolex. this means that the dial and/or diammond/roman/numeric markers must be one of the configuration listed by rsc.

secondly, if you decide to change to a dial outside RSC, make sure you keep your original (not so good condition dial). why? so that if buyer wants to go RSC to authenticate, at least you can put back the original dial for authentication purpose.

Comment

I think "LN"/"LV" refers only to the bezel color

But you are correct that certain models do not have specific indication of colors on the same model. Two (models) in particular I've checked are 16710 (GMT II) and 16570 (Explorer II). For the former, you can interchange the black, "coke"/"pepsi" bezel and for the latter, you can interchange the black/white dial 'legally' with the ROLEX Service Centre (RSC).
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

its ok to swap dials as long as the new dial you are putting in is ORIGINAL and Matches the model of your watch, in short the watch and dial must be from the same era and made for the same model.

RSC will confirm watch as authentic.
                      My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
                      1) WG DIA 18239
                      2) YG DIA 18238
                      3) WG 18239
                      4) YG 18238
                      5) YG 18248G Bark
                      6) WG DIA 18039
                      7) WG 18039
                      8) YG 18038
                      9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                      10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                      11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
                      12) WG 1803
                      13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
                      1)GMT II 116718 18K
                      2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
                      1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                      2)D15037 14k
                      3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

update warranty card = ??

Originally posted by kenlinliu1419 View Post
                        True. What I meant to say was that if you want Rolex to officially keep track of the details of your watch (and as long as the warranty is still valid), you should inform them (for a $150 fee). They will update your warranty card as well as their database. This will help any potential buyer in the future should they decide to verify the watch at RSC.

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

Comment

Yup same here. For me, it's totally nonsense to pay just to pen down a genuine replacement. Rolex should review about charging for every piece of service

Originally posted by nim
                          I find sgd150 too much to 'update'

Comment

Yup. Rolex wants to keep tabs on all their pieces by using this updating through the warranty procedure.

Comment

Thanks for the advice dear experts!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X