Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughness while winding my explorer II

Hi bros who have technical expertise,

1) Anyone encounter roughness while winding your Rolex? Its not as smooth as while I am winding my other watches. Can anyone advise whether there is problem with the movement. It used to be very rough but I went back to the shop I bought to check and they said there was some alignment to be done, it improves but still not as smooth.

2) When your watch comes to a complete stop, do you have to shake the watch to let it start after a few winds?

Thanks,

when was the last time the watch was serviced?

Originally posted by dutyfree View Post

1) Anyone encounter roughness while winding your Rolex? Its not as smooth as while I am winding my other watches. Can anyone advise whether there is problem with the movement. It used to be very rough but I went back to the shop I bought to check and they said there was some alignment to be done, it improves but still not as smooth.

2) When your watch comes to a complete stop, do you have to shake the watch to let it start after a few winds?

Thanks,
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Roughness while winding my explorer II

I bought this used in March 08 at PK.

Comment

1) I am not too sure what do you mean by "roughness". BTW, when you turn the hour hand, is it smooth or "rough"?

2) I don't need to wind my ExpII to start the watch when it comes to a complete stop. Only a few shake, I start the power house!

Thanks,

Comment

I was actually advised against shaking the watch to 'power start' it but to instead give about 20 to 25 full turns to wind the spring.But it was for my Daytona,still,I think it appiles for all watches?
          Rolex SS Daytona 116520 White Dial D-Series
          Rolex GMT ll 16710 D-Series (stick fonts)
          Rolex Explorer 2 16570 White K-Series
          IWC Portuguese Chrono Auto 371417
          Panerai 112L
          Tag Heuer SS 2000 Series Boy Size - Circa 1986
          Vulcain SS Black Roman Dial - Circa 1984
          Favre Leuba SeaKing - Circa *very old*
          Sideras Pocket Watch - Circa *very old*
          My Grandma's Ladies Breitling in Gold Bracelet - Circa 1920

Comment

1) I don't feel roughness while adjusting the hour hand. Its the roughness while winding the watch. It feels like teeth grinding, not as smooth as winding my carrera (just normal smooth tick tick sound, you know chain is being wound up)

2) I mean my watch won't move even after 40 turns. Need to shake a little so start the second hand. My carrera does move after 10 manual wounds.

sfugel: What you said is correct as i read alot of threads in Timezone quoting shaking the watch is not very good. You can slowly turn the rotor but not a hard shake.

Comment

1) winding for EXP 2 should be smooth - no sound

2) No need to shake to make it move. 10 to 20 turns can make it move. After winding 10 to 20 turns, 5 seconds delay though then the second hand sweeps...

Comment

I shake it to jump start it....the watch is still great after 40 years so...for me I will just stick to shaking.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

since you bought it used, there is a chance that the watch was not serviced. as such the 'roughness' you indicated could be

1) lack of lubricant
                  2) damaged crown
                  3) misaligned hands

the best advice is to bring it down to RSC and get them to check. alternatively, you may bring it to any watch technician who does rolex to have a look. you can contact horologyfantic in this forum, alfred png @ golden mile hawker centre, jw watch, etc........
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Thanks everyone. The roughness and the shake start I have brought them to the technician at PK in Peninsular Plaza. He said no problems on the watch. Any comments on his skills?

Cheers

Comment

Think you should get it serviced again from another place.
                      Rolex SS Daytona 116520 White Dial D-Series
                      Rolex GMT ll 16710 D-Series (stick fonts)
                      Rolex Explorer 2 16570 White K-Series
                      IWC Portuguese Chrono Auto 371417
                      Panerai 112L
                      Tag Heuer SS 2000 Series Boy Size - Circa 1986
                      Vulcain SS Black Roman Dial - Circa 1984
                      Favre Leuba SeaKing - Circa *very old*
                      Sideras Pocket Watch - Circa *very old*
                      My Grandma's Ladies Breitling in Gold Bracelet - Circa 1920

Comment

Thanks everyone. The roughness and the shake start I have brought them to the technician at PK in Peninsular Plaza. He said no problems on the watch. Any comments on his skills?

Cheers
                        maybe you can get them to give another piece and you turn the crown to compare. if there is difference, you ask the technician to compare.
                        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                        Blue 6694
                        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I bought this used in March 08 at PK.
                          what is the series of your watch?

RSC recommend service your Rolex every 5 years... you will feel your watch is like brand new

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                          SS GMT II coke, SS GMT IIC, TT GMT IIC,
                          SS Sub Date, TT Sub Date Black,
                          SS SD,
                          SS YM,
                          SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...