Got my hands on a really good condition Rail dial...BUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monstaR View Post
    Looks good mate. Trust that you should enjoy it more as you wear it more often!
    That's the idea. I think I will be wearing it on a regualr basis. I purchased this for e to enjoy, if I get "battle wounds on it" my son will inherit them
    I totally understand why some collectors would like to keep the watch in mint condition. I feel I am not doing the watch justice if I dont wear it!

Comment

Watches are for wearing. I wear my straight second hand 1655 at least once a month to keep everything moving. In modern day use, you can keep the watch in fairly good condition even if you wear it. We don't wear it to explore caves!

Comment

Is it okay to keep vintage watches on a watch winder? I have one that winds/turns every 3 hours...

Comment

Nice pic! I oso buy watches to wear!
          I'm in bad company........

Comment

Originally posted by singapore_nomad View Post
            Is it okay to keep vintage watches on a watch winder? I have one that winds/turns every 3 hours...
            No point. Watches are better served on the wrist. Just wear it at least once a month will do. I have discarded my winder.

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
              No point. Watches are better served on the wrist. Just wear it at least once a month will do. I have discarded my winder.
              I'm thinkig about keeping the watch on the winder more so I dont have to wind the watch to the correct date and time when I want to wear it.
              I just spent 30 mins winding the watch from the "1"st to "26" and have also taken a couple of layers off my finger tips in the process
              So if I keep it on a winder atleast the date and time is kept in sync...

Comment

Originally posted by singapore_nomad View Post
                I'm thinkig about keeping the watch on the winder more so I dont have to wind the watch to the correct date and time when I want to wear it.
                I just spent 30 mins winding the watch from the "1"st to "26" and have also taken a couple of layers off my finger tips in the process
                So if I keep it on a winder atleast the date and time is kept in sync...
                Put on winder and run your watch all the time means you need to service your watch more frequently due to more wear and tear of the moving parts.

My method.....I have about 7 watches. So I will pick up the piece that is closest to current date and adjust to wear. I rotate to the next watch when the date of any other piece arrange.

Comment

A good idea is to mark out in your outlook diary one month and a day after your last 'run' so that you will not have to wind it as much.

I am gonna try that myself

Comment

Originally posted by nim
                    not comfortable with idea of putting mechanical watch under constant stress
                    The winder does about 1 rpm every 40 seconds. So I think its a subtle rotation. We do alot more sudden jerking actions when the watch is on our wrists.

Ive used this watch winder for 2 years now for my AP and Piaget Upstream - both I wear regulalry. When Im not wearing one the other is "doing the turns". Both are keeping time...

Im poping into RSC tomorrow will ask them what them think and get back to you.

Ow if you are curious the watch winder was from ebay for $20 and works as well as the grossly expensive winders you find on the market

Comment

I have a watch winder new in box from wolf design given as a gift... never got to using it as I am not comfortable with them.

Comment

A good idea is to mark out in your outlook diary one month and a day after your last 'run' so that you will not have to wind it as much.

I am gonna try that myself
                        In this case, I think better to have more than 30 watches, so more likely finding a death watch of the same date you want to wear.

Comment

I have a watch winder new in box from wolf design given as a gift... never got to using it as I am not comfortable with them.
                          I would quite happily accept it as a present and use it

Comment

[QUOTE=KuchingKu;539098]Put on winder and run your watch all the time means you need to service your watch more frequently due to more wear and tear of the moving parts.

Bro, Glad to hear this, I thought my watches lying in the safe box in air tight compartments not good for their health. I do intend to have them serviced once every 5 years plus.
                            My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
                            1) WG DIA 18239
                            2) YG DIA 18238
                            3) WG 18239
                            4) YG 18238
                            5) YG 18248G Bark
                            6) WG DIA 18039
                            7) WG 18039
                            8) YG 18038
                            9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                            10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                            11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)