Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love the Rolex importers? Cheaper means better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love the Rolex importers? Cheaper means better?

Rolex buyers rejoice!

I'm glad to have found this forum while shopping for my first Rolex. Didn't know there are so many grey dealers around in Singapore bringing Rolex and also other brands like Panerai, AP, Patek etc. Have looked around and its mainly these 4 that are imported (maybe bigger profit margins? easier to flip these brands?)

I was trying to think of the pros and cons of having such dealers around, and the effects of buying my Rolex through such a dealer. This is that I have observed:

Pros:
    - Bypass long waiting lists in ADs. Even artificial waiting lists like Rolex Daytona which
    we all know dealers stockpile in their safe.
    - Huge savings compared to buying from ADs
    - Dun need to bargain and haggle, straightaway best price is transparent
    - No issue about warranty as long as the watch comes from a Authorised Dealer overseas.
    - Much easier to get limited editions these days as dealers will bring in much more then allocated to the local ADs

Cons:
    - Cannot use credit card to earn points or pay via instalments
    - Eventually if the current rate of imports continue, this will create an oversupply situation of Rolexes, Panerais, APs and Pateks
    - This in turn will drive down the resale value of everybody's watch
    - Harder to sell in trading corner now since there are so many. Have counted about 6-7 daytonas currently on sale now!
    - Grey dealers may not pass on savings to buyers. For example, I know of a friend who brought back a Deepsea from Europe at 10.5K Nett for his own use. Now I assume dealers are also getting at this price, or even cheaper. Many of the deepseas I see on trading corner are asking for 12k+, just undercutting the ADs by a bit. Not a lot, few hundred, but just enough to make the buyer choose a grey import over the AD watch.

So after all this observations, I have decided against buying a grey import. I am either going to wait till I go for my Europe holiday next month or have that experience of buying a Rolex from an AD.

What are your thoughts people? If price really the only consideration when you're shopping for your Rolex or other luxury brand watch?

there is no difference in the watch
    all rolex come from the same factory
    the only difference buying from gray dealers is you miss out on the service and personal touch that you get from local ADs
    then again, nothing is for free, you actually pay a premium to get those attention

Comment

Let's put it this way : The can of coke you drink in a restaurant & the coke you buy at the mama shop any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by franciz View Post
        Let's put it this way : The can of coke you drink in a restaurant & the coke you buy at the mama shop any difference?
        hahah my answer is one is expensive becos came from a restaurant.
        another is cheap becos came from mama shop, but the taste, can size , quantity and they way they manufactured is the same cos came from same factory.

Comment

Since TS ask for thoughts....here is mine.

TS posted too much information to be a newbie trying to buy a watch. What's the real purpose of this post?

I remember when I was buying my first watch, I Just went to the AD and bought it.

Comment

There are always pros and cons to both sides of the coin.
            For me.....if I can determine that the source is reliable and the watch is genuine, I would go for it
            as long as I can save some money.
            No brainer right?
            If you want to use CC/Installments, then that is a different situation all together.
            So I am pretty flexible in terms of buying watches...sometimes grey dealers, sometimes ADs.
            Keep the option open bro...

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post

TS posted too much information to be a newbie trying to buy a watch. What's the real purpose of this post?

I remember when I was buying my first watch, I Just went to the AD and bought it.
              When I was a newbie, I didn't even know there were grey dealers haha I even had doubts with them. Today...things changed alittle haha.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

My thoughts exactly....
                ROLEX.

Comment

Originally posted by RolekNewbie View Post
                  Rolex buyers rejoice!

I'm glad to have found this forum while shopping for my first Rolex. Didn't know there are so many grey dealers around in Singapore bringing Rolex and also other brands like Panerai, AP, Patek etc. Have looked around and its mainly these 4 that are imported (maybe bigger profit margins? easier to flip these brands?)

I was trying to think of the pros and cons of having such dealers around, and the effects of buying my Rolex through such a dealer. This is that I have observed:

Pros:
                  - Bypass long waiting lists in ADs. Even artificial waiting lists like Rolex Daytona which
                  we all know dealers stockpile in their safe.
                  - Huge savings compared to buying from ADs
                  - Dun need to bargain and haggle, straightaway best price is transparent
                  - No issue about warranty as long as the watch comes from a Authorised Dealer overseas.
                  - Much easier to get limited editions these days as dealers will bring in much more then allocated to the local ADs

Cons:
                  - Cannot use credit card to earn points or pay via instalments
                  - Eventually if the current rate of imports continue, this will create an oversupply situation of Rolexes, Panerais, APs and Pateks
                  - This in turn will drive down the resale value of everybody's watch
                  - Harder to sell in trading corner now since there are so many. Have counted about 6-7 daytonas currently on sale now!
                  - Grey dealers may not pass on savings to buyers. For example, I know of a friend who brought back a Deepsea from Europe at 10.5K Nett for his own use. Now I assume dealers are also getting at this price, or even cheaper. Many of the deepseas I see on trading corner are asking for 12k+, just undercutting the ADs by a bit. Not a lot, few hundred, but just enough to make the buyer choose a grey import over the AD watch.

So after all this observations, I have decided against buying a grey import. I am either going to wait till I go for my Europe holiday next month or have that experience of buying a Rolex from an AD.

What are your thoughts people? If price really the only consideration when you're shopping for your Rolex or other luxury brand watch?
                  Errr ok... Local AD list is 15,750....
                  ROLEX.

Comment

Grey importers wants to sell ASAP to make a small profit therefore the price is better than the AD however the grey importers won't stock all models. They will bring only the popular ones.

The advantage of buying from grey importers could be price but they may not provide the same quality of service of AD since the grey ones sell several popular models.

Comment

Call me kiasu but i prefer to get my rollies from ADs not so much for the service but just wanna be safe rather than sorry in terms of reliability? Not forgetting the lemon law now that one should take note of too!

Rolex owner since 2010
                      Previously owned:
                      Explorer II(216570) black dial AN serial
                      GMT-Master II(116710LN) AN serial
                      Current collection:
                      Datejust 36(116234) V serial
                      GMT-Master II(116713LN) AN serial
                      Upcoming/Wishlist:
                      "Hulk" green sub(116610LV)

Comment

A very interesting post to read...I think its all on individual perspect...As long as u think u get wad u deserved for the price u paid for,then its definitely WORTH IT...Juz certified that its a genuine product u r paying fr will do ya!

Comment

thread title says it all?

What's the real purpose of this post?
                          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                          1. subject heading indicating your issue
                          2. your nick
                          3. your corresponding email address
                          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

No AD will risk their dealership for selling non original watches.

also ROC verify real safe as in ROC refers to this forum? also verify real safe is verify from where? RSC?

Originally posted by xiaoli
                            AD safe or ROC verify real safe???
                            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                            1. subject heading indicating your issue
                            2. your nick
                            3. your corresponding email address
                            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Buying my first Rolex or any other luxury watch is a big big commitment, so I am really doing due diligence on the various sources of Rolex into Singapore by studying this forum, as well as my options to sell should I need to liquidate my Rolex.

I am not calling into question the watch itself, many are correct to state that it is simply the same identical twin from the factory, 100% original Rolex down to the case protective stickers. I am just thinking through the journey of the watch from the factory to my hands.

I know in the past decade, people from US and Europe actually come to Asia to buy their high end watches. Now with their currency in tatters, it's become the other way round, with the exception of HK and Seoul where it's still relatively cheaper (as their currencies are pegged to the dollar).

This means now there is a net inflow of high end watches into Singapore. With much increased supply, the price appreciation curve for Rolex watches in our collection will be much lesser now compared to the last decade, even with (guaranteed) price increases every year.

This has an impact on my buying decision..should I buy from and in turn support grey importers who are eroding the future value of my Rolex, or play the devil's advocate and buy 1 from the AD. In the end, I have decided that my own pending purchase is insignificant in the scheme of things, and that one should never buck the trend just to prove a point. $$$ is still the main concern, and I have decided to join the grey herd.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X