Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really a bad idea to buy steel/YG and YG Rolex like Sub and GMT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Rolex sports watches, SS holds their value better than TT. Dress watches like DJ TT depreciate the most.

Comment

I dont think so

Comment

The SS holds the value more because more people can afford it and therefore the value is higher.

FULL gold watches are not easily pull off...not many people look good with full gold or half gold..

Comment

I agree that SS will command a better price, simply because the market for it is bigger. But I am like you I have a weakness for some TT models. I find that full YG is too much, but the TT GMT II is especially beautiful. I just need to wait for one day when I can afford that one, $14k to $17k it is.

Value-wise, if you're looking to sell on then yeah maybe the SS is a better proposition. But a Rolex is for life and if you want to keep it for life (or a long time) then just go with your heart's greatest desire (as long as you can afford)!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

I guess it's really subjective, cos if u really like a watch like most of us here, it doesn't matter if it's SS/TT/WG/YG, etc. One shld not buy/judge/speculate a watch simply based on the material it's made of, but to appreciate it's as a whole package (i.e. brand, model, functions, etc.)

Rolex owner since 2010
            Previously owned:
            Explorer II(216570) black dial AN serial
            GMT-Master II(116710LN) AN serial
            Current collection:
            Datejust 36(116234) V serial
            GMT-Master II(116713LN) AN serial
            Upcoming/Wishlist:
            "Hulk" green sub(116610LV)

Comment

Depends on the model really, for example I had a SS/YG 116713 GMTIIC and managed to sell it about a year later and made a bit extra. It also depends on how you wear your watches - if its still about 95-98% after about a year or two later, then you can recover most - if not all - of your initial cost.

Personally, I buy watches that I really like and want to wear and in my collection. That said, I'd agree that SS sports models would be the 'option' to pick if you tend to change your watches quite frequently.

Comment

I don't think it's a bad idea to buy a two-tone GMT or Sub, especially if you inclined towards wearing gold items like ring, bracelet and chain. The two-tone watches add to the bling, quite subtlely as compared to a Rolex gold day-date. Of course there are certain downsides: one which comes quickly to mind are the scratches on the gold polished surface of an oyster bracelet.- these can be obvious and ugly to some, while for others it adds character to the item you are wearing. So go for it,bro!!

Comment

its not a good idea to buy rolex for investment or value retention. Buy gold bars will be a better option. But then again, enjoy your money whichever way pleases yourself

Comment

I think ss or TT doesn't really matter, as long as you yourself like it most. And wear a gold watch or TT version won't make you feel old at all. Cause I am only 25 and I am wearing a blue sub TT now. Hope you decide properly. Cheers!
                    Timepieces that I owned:
                    Rolex Submariner 16613LB
                    Rolex Datejust 68273
                    Panerai 104
                    Tissot T-Race Nicky Hayden 2013 Limited Edition

Comment

hey b.a. i just bought the gold and s.s. submariner 2 day's ago. i'm loving it. it's my second rolex, i got the gmt master plus a 70's tudor sub. btw, like your ink!!

Comment

Just get something you like. In my humble opinion, rolex watches will still keep its value well... regardless of the material... but remember to get a good price

personal opinion, i always buy pre-owned for rolex

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X