• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What watch model to invest in 2013 ?

any suggestion ?

franck muller , cartier

Comment

pls state brand & exact model and current price..

Comment

Well, since emerald green is the 2013 colour, perhaps the rolex green sub (aka the hulk) 116610LV could make the list?heard from AD tat they're gonna sell it at ard SGD14K!

Rolex owner since 2010
        Previously owned:
        Explorer II(216570) black dial AN serial
        GMT-Master II(116710LN) AN serial
        Current collection:
        Datejust 36(116234) V serial
        GMT-Master II(116713LN) AN serial
        Upcoming/Wishlist:
        "Hulk" green sub(116610LV)

Comment

it's definitely got to be the new panerai releases for SIHH 2013.
          elusive

Comment

Originally posted by Matty View Post
            Well, since emerald green is the 2013 colour, perhaps the rolex green sub (aka the hulk) 116610LV could make the list?heard from AD tat they're gonna sell it at ard SGD14K!
            I thought price just went up in Q3 2012?

Comment

I'd say any Patek complication for sure. They've been gaining value easily at about +25% per year so far... thoughts?

Comment

I see the word "invest" . If that is the case, it is perhaps more prudent to put the money into a FD account.

Comment

Buying a watch is like buying a car. It's not a financial investment. The resale value seldom goes higher than the price you initially paid for. But the price of new watches goes up every year. Like a car. The minute you take it out of the shop, you have lost some money. The "investment" is the enjoyment and satisfaction you gained from it. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ymc View Post
                    The "investment" is the enjoyment and satisfaction you gained from it. That's all.
                    Well said Ymc. Yes, I'd also suggest not to purchase a watch purely for investment terms, as R-oyster mentioned FDs and possibly bullion will serve as a better platform if that is your primary reason for purchasing. That said, if you play your cards right, you can retain your initial 'investment' (haha). Consider buying a Patek with a decent complication (at least an annual calendar) and enjoy it for about 5-years - you should easily be able to sell it for whatever you paid buying it.

From what I've seen in the past couple years, AP if purchased from the boutique takes a huge hit. Buy second-hand and you can sell it quite easily as long as it's a popular RO/ROO. Rolex however, especially the steel sports pieces, just seem to perform so well in terms of value.

Sadly, with Rolex RRP pricing reaching that of entry-level AP RO pricing, I have a hard time justifying such a purchase. Instead, I'm saving towards another Patek - my 5146 is getting lonely!

Comment

Originally posted by bsodmike View Post
                      I'd say any Patek complication for sure. They've been gaining value easily at about +25% per year so far... thoughts?
                      Wow..which exact model huh?

Comment

investment value

a) Almost all watches depreciate once it leaves the dealer. Dealers have an advantage, they can leave it in the safe and sell it higher cos the warranty is not dated yet.
                        b) A very small number of watches hold their value and can go up in various degrees. The challenge is to make a calculated decision.
                        c) Even Seikos do hold and go up in value, eg the Samurai and yellow monster divers.
                        d) If you add the service costs, potential increase in resale values is unlikely to generate a profit except in rare cases.
                        e) Resale prices are affected by the condition of the watch. Prices for super mint pcs will always be higher but then what is the point of buying and not using often?
                        f) Time helps a lot and over time super mint pieces that are in high demand will have good resale prices but here again, how long can you keep and wait?

Comment

why every one is saying Daytona is over price ? Still hard to get ?

Comment

IMHO it's a trend thing. From what I noticed, Daytona, Submariner 50th Anniversary, LV and even the regular LN, GMT Pepsi and TT, and to lesser extent the Explorer II black dial are the more highly sought after models here amongst the Rolexes.

Other models, like the Datejust, Day-Date, Explorer I, Milgauss, Sky Dweller and Yachtmaster are quite neglected.

Deep Sea and Sea Dweller appeal to a more niche market.

That's my observation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I am looking forward to buy the 50th Anniversary Daytona this year!

Will make a fine addition to my collection of 50th anniversary models like my 2003 Sub and 2005 GMT.

In addition to the daytona, my pursuit of day dates from 1957 to 1999 (1803 to 18238) will continue.

IMO the day dates are the best value for money gold watches money can buy. the melt value of the gold itself in some models are already almost half the value of the watch!
                              My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
                              1) WG DIA 18239
                              2) YG DIA 18238
                              3) WG 18239
                              4) YG 18238
                              5) YG 18248G Bark
                              6) WG DIA 18039
                              7) WG 18039
                              8) YG 18038
                              9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                              10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                              11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)