20+ yrs SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20+ yrs SD

Im looking at a 20+ yr old SD, as Im new with Rolex watches (or any other brands for that matter), how much shd I be looking at? What shd i be looking our for? It does not come with a box, a cert, nothing but the watch itself. Will an RSC authentication determine the condition of the watch too or whether it had been maintain well? Sorry for these noob qns.

Be prepared to spent a tidy sum servicing it .

Comment

as someone new to watches, why would you want a 20yr+ rolex?

Originally posted by ner000 View Post
      Im looking at a 20+ yr old SD, as Im new with Rolex watches (or any other brands for that matter), how much shd I be looking at? What shd i be looking our for? It does not come with a box, a cert, nothing but the watch itself. Will an RSC authentication determine the condition of the watch too or whether it had been maintain well? Sorry for these noob qns.

Comment

A 20+ yr old SD back in Sep 1992 would have a RRP of USD2750 & it's a discontinued model now, so RSC may not even have the spare parts to replace/maintain it. Perhaps a current DSSD or other sports model would be a better deal???

Rolex owner since 2010
        Previously owned:
        Explorer II(216570) black dial AN serial
        GMT-Master II(116710LN) AN serial
        Current collection:
        Datejust 36(116234) V serial
        GMT-Master II(116713LN) AN serial
        Upcoming/Wishlist:
        "Hulk" green sub(116610LV)

Comment

20years SD 16600(not to be confused with its predecessor "666") would be a tritium dial/ handset and lugs hole case. 3135 movement is the same as current model so you have no problem with parts. Price wise not very ex as compared to current model. B&p is nice to have but not very impt IMO. Good choice there for your first Rollie. Good luck.

Comment

I cannot tell apart the 1990 SD im eyeing and a 2007 one. My thinking is that the 1990 one being about 5k+, should hold its value better than newer ones, i duno. Let me know if im wrong but i want the watch to retain as much value as possible. Feel free to share ur thoughts!

Will RSC authentication reveal any fault with the watch too?

Comment

I cannot tell apart the 1990 SD im eyeing and a 2007 one. My thinking is that the 1990 one being about 5k+, should hold its value better than newer ones, i duno. Let me know if im wrong but i want the watch to retain as much value as possible. My first real watch is a Franck Muller Conquistador Cortez bought new (dun laugh!). Feel free to share ur thoughts!

Will RSC authentication reveal any fault or wear and tear with the watch too? I am thinking of getting a men's DJ for my wife if i can "save" on the SD.

Comment

The seadweller is a fantastic watch which typically holds its value very well. I am not so certain I would be so comfortable buying a watch with no box and papers though. These things aren't as rare as some people suggest, keep your eyes open for a newer model with B&P - you won't be disappointed

Comment

I cannot tell apart the 1990 SD im eyeing and a 2007 one. My thinking is that the 1990 one being about 5k+, should hold its value better than newer ones, i duno. Let me know if im wrong but i want the watch to retain as much value as possible. My first real watch is a Franck Muller Conquistador Cortez bought new (dun laugh!). Feel free to share ur thoughts!

Will RSC authentication reveal any fault or wear and tear with the watch too? I am thinking of getting a men's DJ for my wife if i can "save" on the SD.
                  Agree with fellow forumer that B&P is secondary. If they allow you to verify watch at RSC, by all means go for it if you are happy with the condition (preferably, thick case, unpolished, tight links). Prices for pieces that old have stabilized a fair bit.
                  WISHLIST
                  Yachtmaster2 116688
                  Sky Dweller
                  AP ROO Black Theme
                  WG Submariner

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder007 View Post
                    Agree with fellow forumer that B&P is secondary. If they allow you to verify watch at RSC, by all means go for it if you are happy with the condition (preferably, thick case, unpolished, tight links). Prices for pieces that old have stabilized a fair bit.
                    Thick case? aren't they standard size?

Comment

i believe he's referring comparsion between sub and SD.

SD case is thicker that sub.
                      累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

I think referring to not overly polished case

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X