Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex Daydate case thread problem

Hi Expert,

Recently bought a Rolex daydate in this forum for my dad and send to RSC for verification.

The case cannot be close after RSC opened and mentioned that the thread is damaged.

How to repair and is there any expert in Singapore that can repair gold case thread?

RSC will replace case and case back....that will cost like buying a new watch. Please help.

The seller dun pik up phone and reply after. Sad as i wouldnt know and not equip to open case when inspecting during trade.
    My Rolexes and Tudor...

can pm me the seller?

Comment

Such an irresponsible seller! Should at least pick up. Whose fault etc is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by subgmt View Post
        ...Recently bought a Rolex daydate in this forum for my dad and send to RSC for verification.

The case cannot be close after RSC opened and mentioned that the thread is damaged.

How to repair and is there any expert in Singapore that can repair gold case thread?

RSC will replace case and case back....that will cost like buying a new watch. Please help...
        okay. i don't know much about gold or the properties of gold... but how did rolex open the case back if it is "damaged"?

if it was damaged (ie, difficulty with opening it) prior to opening, shouldn't they leave it alone because gold is quite a soft metal?

the seller may also have cause to say that the case back was NOT damaged when he sold it to you.

i'm not putting the blame on anyone specifically, but just putting a different light on a situation: can you be 101% sure RSC is not responsible?

while i'm sure there are a few good gold smiths in singapore, i'm unsure how anyone can "repair" a case back without knowing what it should be like when it is 100% water tight. and if the case is not water tight... what's the point?

if you can take pictures of the case back (front, back and as many sides as possible) as well as the thread of the mid case, perhaps someone knowledgeable about day dates (ian!) can help.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I am not here to blame and dont want to name the seller as it is a difficult thing to inspect. The no reply states that money received and not his problem.

I saw lots of scratch marks done by RSC which means they had a hard time opening it. I saw that the case is not close properly by RSC after verification and i brought to another independant maker in China town. He had a hard time opening it and after opening, he cannot close it too. This reputable vintage repair man told me that the thread is bad thus RSC may have a hard time opening it thus have all the scratched mark behind the case. He finally close but told me that if open again, may not close it next time. There is this big gap between the caseback and case now. Really sian....I am not sure if RSC will admit that its their problem.

I dont know how to open thus better not. I can only take picture of the case back closed with the big gap.

Originally posted by taxico View Post
          okay. i don't know much about gold or the properties of gold... but how did rolex open the case back if it is "damaged"?

if it was damaged (ie, difficulty with opening it) prior to opening, shouldn't they leave it alone because gold is quite a soft metal?

the seller may also have cause to say that the case back was NOT damaged when he sold it to you.

i'm not putting the blame on anyone specifically, but just putting a different light on a situation: can you be 101% sure RSC is not responsible?

while i'm sure there are a few good gold smiths in singapore, i'm unsure how anyone can "repair" a case back without knowing what it should be like when it is 100% water tight. and if the case is not water tight... what's the point?

if you can take pictures of the case back (front, back and as many sides as possible) as well as the thread of the mid case, perhaps someone knowledgeable about day dates (ian!) can help.
          My Rolexes and Tudor...

Comment

if i were you, i would go back to RSC and kick a big fuss. if you have a wife, this is the time to use it.

it's not fair on RSC if the damage was not caused by them, but there is no way of proving they did not cause it.

especially if you had sent your watch, which was closed properly and unmarked, into RSC with good faith. i will say one thing for sure - if the threads are the problem then it would not have been easy or possible to screw the gold case back on tight WITHOUT f**king up the "teeth" and case back.

so... was the case back beautiful when you first bought the watch? and do you have proof of it? if so... bring your wife, your mom and your ah-ma and go to RSC.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Have you won kicking a big fuss at RSC?

It's like opening up a can of worms and you know after opening and can't close back.RSC will tell you that it's like this before....what can we do....

Is there a Michael young equivalent in Sngapore who can restore worn case or touch up?

if i were you, i would go back to RSC and kick a big fuss. if you have a wife, this is the time to use it.

it's not fair on RSC if the damage was not caused by them, but there is no way of proving they did not cause it.

especially if you had sent your watch, which was closed properly and unmarked, into RSC with good faith. i will say one thing for sure - if the threads are the problem then it would not have been easy or possible to screw the gold case back on tight WITHOUT f**king up the "teeth" and case back.

so... was the case back beautiful when you first bought the watch? and do you have proof of it? if so... bring your wife, your mom and your ah-ma and go to RSC.
              My Rolexes and Tudor...

Comment

Originally posted by subgmt View Post
                Have you won kicking a big fuss at RSC?
                i'll be honest and say i haven't... but my wife has, on many occasions. she has even managed to get them to give her parts for free and serviced/repalced parts returned. i'm NOT kidding.

whenever i can't manage it, she will come in. the reality is - the "loser" is the one who gives in first provided you don't go overboard.

my wife doesn't give in easily, if ever. so long as you're not doing anything criminal, RSC cannot kick you out by saying they're not liable.

if it indeed was a case of them damaging your item, they should be liable. but you have not actually determined whether or not the case back showed any signs of damage at point of purchase. that is important, as are photos.

Comment

Our watch community has the culture of bringing disputes to the forum to seek advice. Disputes between seller & buyer, or disputes with shops or service centres. And there are always people who are eager to give advice base on one side of the story.

The way I see it, the chance that the thread was already damaged at the point you bought it, is much much higher than it being damaged by RSC , and you know it. How to settle such a situation? I say, you are a man, you decide how you want to deal with it. Some people feel good at taking advantage of other to cover their loss, especially when this "other" is a corporate. Some people sleep better by taking the responsibility upon themselves in such a situation.

I realize the watch might have cost you a lot of money, but I can only feel sorry for the situation you are in. Take care.
                  Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

There is one thing we always like to receive, but find it difficult to give. It's call "benefit of the doubt".

Comment

I am sorry to hear that but i am surprise that you did not verify anything before closing the deal? Not even looking at the movement? That's very brave of you to trust someone you know only from the cyber world.
                      Anyway, Michael Young seems to be the only choice you have now but I know his charges is not cheap also.
                      Hope you will solve your problem soon, and hope your dad enjoy the watch thereafter.
                      Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for your determine advice. I manage to get our Chinatown vintage repair man to seal with all his might and now no gap but he told me to leave it sealed forever....

That's life experience. Give and take. Just wear till t stop ticking then open the gold coffin again hopefully in the next 20 years.

I think going back to RSC will make it worst as the novice there will strip the thread totally off and have to change case. What an experience. Bought many gold before and first encounter with a not loved 18200 series.

i'll be honest and say i haven't... but my wife has, on many occasions. she has even managed to get them to give her parts for free and serviced/repalced parts returned. i'm NOT kidding.

whenever i can't manage it, she will come in. the reality is - the "loser" is the one who gives in first provided you don't go overboard.

my wife doesn't give in easily, if ever. so long as you're not doing anything criminal, RSC cannot kick you out by saying they're not liable.

if it indeed was a case of them damaging your item, they should be liable. but you have not actually determined whether or not the case back showed any signs of damage at point of purchase. that is important, as are photos.
                        My Rolexes and Tudor...

Comment

Sorry, to hear this.

Michael Young in HK can do it, i was just at his shop a few days ago.
                          My guess is, It would take at least two mths as he has a long waiting list for such jobs and you will have to be comfortable shipping the watch back and forth.

Or be like me, hand delivered there and self collect there.....

Good luck all the best

Comment

I apologize for sounding harsh in my earlier post. I was upset with the suggestion to "kick a big fuss" when there is no proof that RSC is responsible for the damage (sorry taxico).

I am glad to hear that you have found a fix (even though it might not be long term) and that your dad can now enjoy wearing the watch.

Just make sure you have such watch authenticated before closing the deal next time. Cheers.

Comment

My experience with RSC when they had difficulty opening the backcase of a Day Date:

Been there many times but only once RSC called me to say they could not open the back case.
                              RSC won't try too hard to open the back case for fear of damaging the case, especially for gold models.
                              I went down with my own opener to open the case for them and they proceeded with verification.
                              No issues after that, in fact the backcase was only slightly tighter than usual to open but they didn't want to take the risk.

My view of possible cause of damage:
                              The back case thread maybe damaged if it was not properly align and a sloppy technician proceeded to use the tools to force close the case causing the threads to wear out / damaged.

How I close the backcase:-
                              I use my fingers to slowly turn and feel whether the threads of the backcase grips the threads on of the watch case , using your fingers you can feel if the threads grip properly. if not align,just turn anti clockwise and try again and gently adjust to ensure the threads grip.
                              only after I close the case firmly with my fingers will i proceed to use my watchtool to tighten the backcase.

The Good News:
                              It can be fixed as bro Trinidad mentioned
                              My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
                              1) WG DIA 18239
                              2) YG DIA 18238
                              3) WG 18239
                              4) YG 18238
                              5) YG 18248G Bark
                              6) WG DIA 18039
                              7) WG 18039
                              8) YG 18038
                              9) Tridor DIA 18039B