Need Advise On Rolex Oysterquartz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advise On Rolex Oysterquartz

Hi fellow Rolex owners and watch collectors, I need advice on how much I should pay for a Rolex Datejust Oysterquartz 17014 Black Dial Stainless Steel Bracelet.

Someone offered to sell to me but did not name a price and I don't want to offer too far off the market value.

Assuming the links are not complete (his wrist is quite small), no box or cert. Condition 7/10 with the usual scratches which can be polished.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Daytona67 View Post
    ...Assuming the links are not complete (his wrist is quite small), no box or cert. Condition 7/10 with the usual scratches which can be polished.
    just because it ticks and keeps time doesn't mean it's a good one.

please check that the movement is clean and, visually in good working condition. a replacement movement is expensive (if stocks are available) if a total replacement is needed.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
      just because it ticks and keeps time doesn't mean it's a good one.

please check that the movement is clean and, visually in good working condition. a replacement movement is expensive (if stocks are available) if a total replacement is needed.

Hi, thanks for the advice.... I remember reading somewhere in the forum that it can cost up to $2k to service at RSC. I was also told by the seller that it'll cost more than $1k just for battery change and normal maintenance checks. He then mentioned that he knows an ex-RSC employee who can change the batt for around $300.

Comment

NOS oysterquartz movements come up for sale from time to time - if you are an OQ lover, i recommend buying one as a spare because buying it whole as opposed to sourcing for individual parts is much cheaper and convenient.

rolex quartz watches get a free battery change in USA RSCs and includes a brand new case back o ring. there isn't much to service unlike mechanical movements... nor with quite the same regularity. you can go back every year and they don't mind.

$300 for a batt change is just a waste of money. i'd rather save the money for airfare to the US and change it there...!
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I agreed, $300 for a battery change is just too expansive, did you have a look at the movement ?
          You should if you want to buy, cause like what taxico said: if it's not working or stop working after you purchase it, than changing/replacing the movement becomes your added cost to the watch.
          Ask for a service status of the watch if you can

Comment

Battery change is free of charge at RSC but I do not recommend you change it there. Go to Top Hour for battery change at only $25 which reminds me it is time to change mine soon.

Servicing alone will cost you more than $1K and if the movement is damaged, you will need to fork out another $3.5K inclusive of servicing and changing of the parts. Hope this help!

Comment

Originally posted by 65wang View Post
              I agreed, $300 for a battery change is just too expansive, did you have a look at the movement ?
              You should if you want to buy, cause like what taxico said: if it's not working or stop working after you purchase it, than changing/replacing the movement becomes your added cost to the watch.
              Ask for a service status of the watch if you can
              Ok, will try to find out more about the watch e.g service records etc

Originally posted by koshiru View Post
              Battery change is free of charge at RSC but I do not recommend you change it there. Go to Top Hour for battery change at only $25 which reminds me it is time to change mine soon.

Servicing alone will cost you more than $1K and if the movement is damaged, you will need to fork out another $3.5K inclusive of servicing and changing of the parts. Hope this help!
              $3.5K to repair?!! I think it's too expensive to keep an OysterQuartz in good working condition... Might not buy it unless he's letting it go really cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                NOS oysterquartz movements come up for sale from time to time - if you are an OQ lover, i recommend buying one as a spare because buying it whole as opposed to sourcing for individual parts is much cheaper and convenient.
                Good idea! but I probably won't have the patience to source for a spare movement just to keep for future use. Still undecided on the watch.

Comment

Good idea! but I probably won't have the patience to source for a spare movement just to keep for future use. Still undecided on the watch.
                  listing from a few weeks ago just as a reference (this one has been sold):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...artz+cal+5035-

Comment

Ok, will try to find out more about the watch e.g service records etc

$3.5K to repair?!! I think it's too expensive to keep an OysterQuartz in good working condition... Might not buy it unless he's letting it go really cheap.
                    the repair costs really depend on how many items need to be replaced. if you buy right and always keep the battery new or removed, the running costs are minimal.

there is no need to go back to RSC for a service - service it outside and bring it back for a battery change as they will change the back gasket and pressure test for you also.

a quartz service is not more complicated than a mechanical one - probably much simpler as there is less to clean and oil - probably way easier to adjust also.

Comment

Need Advice On Rolex OysterQuartz

After all the above considerations, I'll probably give this a miss and save my cash for a Rolex Explorer II 42mm White dial Ref:216570 which has been on my wishlist for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by koshiru View Post

Sorry my bad, 3.5K is if your OQ motor/circuit component is damaged and need to be replaced, including servicing, checking and replacement of the motor/circut component. So keep just change your battery every year or max 1.5 years and keep it running always! I seen that you bought one on the other posting!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X