Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to buy Diamond bezel for datejust

Hi need recommendation , Thanks

Ya .. Chinatown has quite a number of goldsmiths selling customized gold bezels but quality and price are critical.
    Just another small small small small watch user ....

Comment

noted , thanks .

Comment

Help, advice needed for new Rolex owner

Hi all, I just got my first Rolex. Have limited knowledge about this brand. Like to seek advice from all experienced owners out there:
        1) Is it advisable to change into the diamond bezel purchased from goldsmith within watch warranty period?
        2) I heard 2 versions: a) RSC will not service a watch with diamond bezel that is not from Rolex and so, need to change back to original bezel when bringing back for servicing. b) No need to change back to original bezel, just have to show them the original bezel will do. Which is correct?
        3) Would the removal of original bezel leave mark on the watch?
        4) Would removal of original bezel demage part of the watch or affect the water resistant of the watch?

Thanks in advance to all. 😊

Comment

It's ok to change your bezel even if it's within warranty period as you can swop the bezel back to the normal bezel .

Yes RSC will not service watches with aftermkt parts, ie diamond bezels not made by them.you have to swop it back to the original bezel before bringing it in. They will not service even if u show them the original bezel. It has to be mounted on the watch itself.

Leave a mark, well generally no, unless the person put it back was careless.water proofing also won't be affected generally unless the person did a very bad job.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
            It's ok to change your bezel even if it's within warranty period as you can swop the bezel back to the normal bezel .

Yes RSC will not service watches with aftermkt parts, ie diamond bezels not made by them.you have to swop it back to the original bezel before bringing it in. They will not service even if u show them the original bezel. It has to be mounted on the watch itself.

Leave a mark, well generally no, unless the person put it back was careless.water proofing also won't be affected generally unless the person did a very bad job.

Opos, I missed out this reply as I was unable to put through my post with a message that the post will only appear after the moderator approve the post. Then I cannot remember which thread that I posted this question previously so I posted under a new thread again today before I chance upon this thread again (hope I don't get comment from other fellow member, asking why I repeat my post). I did not receive any notification that this post was already "approved" and appeared on the thread.

Thank you for sharing, Darkangel. Now I am more confident to go ahead with the change. Just couldn't convince myself to pay extra 6k for the same watch with original diamond bezel. I know that Rolex uses one of the top quality diamonds (though it does not come with cert like eg Tag Heuer F1), but I was not looking for top blink diamond. In fact, I hope to get something that is slightly less eye-catching, so I decided not to pay additional 6k for the better quality diamonds one from Rolex.

I went to People's Park to check out the prices. It seems that both goldsmith and second hand watch dealer are selling the bezel at the same price (consider similar diamond size and quality seen from naked eyes). Would you recommend to purchase from goldsmith or second hand watch dealer? Problem is, I trust the quality of the bezel from goldsmith more (being that this is their bread and butter for their trade) but I trust the skill to do the installation by the second hand watch dealer.

Reason why I ask: after visiting so many goldsmith and second hand watch dealer there, I was told only by last 2 shops that Rolex has made it more difficult to change the bezel for newer models. The person doing the change of bezel has to add something to the bottom part of the bezel (unlike the past whereby change of bezel for older model is easier). Hence, it does seems like some of the goldsmith may not be aware of this new thingy. Do you also happen to hear or know about it?

My intial thought was that water resistance should not be affected as they do not "open" up the watch when they remove the original bezel and install the aftermarket one. But when I went to that few shops, I keep hearing people telling me that the diamond bezel will be water proof. I was thinking to myself, "of course diamond bezel will be water proof, how can the diamond bezel itself be not waterproof and why are these people keep emphasising the part about water proof?" Until I asked if they meant waterproof / water resistance of the watch as a whole. But somehow, they are not able to give a clear explanation what they meant by water proof / water resistance (if they mean it will affect water resistance, then it's contrary to what I heard. In fact, what you told me about water resistence is in line with what I heard too). So now I got even more confused after talking to those people. Not sure if this is because of the change by Rolex, which they claimed to be for newer models.

Really appreciate your time in sharing, thanks.

PS: sorry for my so many questions as I am not a watch person, as in I did not read up on mechanics of watches so I do not quite understand how the mechanics of watches work (to that extent that it does seems a waste for people like to me buy a Rolex).

Comment

Ok that's quite a long post. Let me tackle it one by one...

Between a Goldsmith and a watch dealer, I agree the goldsmith knows what he's selling but that doesn't mean you are getting something better I wouldn't trust that quality of the bezel goldsmiths are selling are any better than the shops, cos the source is more or less the same ( I stand corrected as there are more than 1 makers)

I would place my budget at the price I am comfortable and get it from the watch dealer instead. Get something that smiles at you.

Yes I do agree that I heard of the new models having some complications as I wasn't able to fit my M series datejust with the aftermarket bezel as they are actually made for the previous model which is the 16233,16234,69174 those era one.

Comment

Ya. I agree with DA. Get the diamond bezel from the watch dealer who knows more about the installation. Of course, the cost of the bezel needs to be comfortable to you. Enjoy the bling bling.
                Just another small small small small watch user ....

Comment

Thank you both for sharing. My initial only worry is, those sold by second hand watch dealers may be not be real diamond (eg, crystals) as the size of the diamonds used in bezel are quite small (not as easy to spot, unlike those larger ones like solitaire).
                  But after hearing from both of you, I think I can safely trust those dealers. I'll pay the one I have short listed a visit (I have short listed one watch dealer and one goldsmith) and get it fixed by next week.
                  Like what you both mentioned, just choose the blink level I like and within my budget.
                  And keeping my fingers crossed that I have no problem getting the newer model fixed and hope my watch doesn't require servicing within my first 2 yrs, then I won't need to go back swop to original bezel.

Comment

Originally posted by NewRollieBB View Post
                    Thank you both for sharing. My initial only worry is, those sold by second hand watch dealers may be not be real diamond (eg, crystals) as the size of the diamonds used in bezel are quite small (not as easy to spot, unlike those larger ones like solitaire).
                    But after hearing from both of you, I think I can safely trust those dealers. I'll pay the one I have short listed a visit (I have short listed one watch dealer and one goldsmith) and get it fixed by next week.
                    Like what you both mentioned, just choose the blink level I like and within my budget.
                    And keeping my fingers crossed that I have no problem getting the newer model fixed and hope my watch doesn't require servicing within my first 2 yrs, then I won't need to go back swop to original bezel.
                    No lah, they won't use crystals. Base on my experience, I worry more about overpaying for low quality diamonds than being sold crystals.

What is the model of your watch btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                      No lah, they won't use crystals. Base on my experience, I worry more about overpaying for low quality diamonds than being sold crystals.

What is the model of your watch btw?
                      Mine's 179174 with diamond dial. Rolex first caught my attention at Changi Airport when I spotted the one with crystal dial (can't rem the model but it's one of the latest design, 26mm size). Then my fren encouraged to to get second hand so I went around scouting. That's how I chanced upon this model and I decided to go for this lower priced model instead. Initially wanted to buy from Peng Kwee but was quoted a 2007 piece for $8k lowest price after discounting. As it was only 2k+ cheaper than retail, I decided to buy from AD instead.

Comment

Quality of diamond wise, I have to rely on luck as I am no expert in that. But I think the safest way is to look at blink level. As long as I get real diamonds n not paying price of diamond buy get crystals, I am ok. As long as the blink level commensurate with the price (that, I'll have to compare around to get a better idea).
                        So far, I only spotted difference in the way the diamonds are set as well as the width at the 2 edges of the diamond bezel between different shops.

Comment

Originally posted by NewRollieBB View Post
                          Mine's 179174 with diamond dial. Rolex first caught my attention at Changi Airport when I spotted the one with crystal dial (can't rem the model but it's one of the latest design, 26mm size). Then my fren encouraged to to get second hand so I went around scouting. That's how I chanced upon this model and I decided to go for this lower priced model instead. Initially wanted to buy from Peng Kwee but was quoted a 2007 piece for $8k lowest price after discounting. As it was only 2k+ cheaper than retail, I decided to buy from AD instead.
                          Correction: diamond marker, not diamond dial.

Comment

Originally posted by Throttle
                            the most practical way is to look at the fire or sparkle of the diamonds on the bezel.
                            secondly, inspect the craftsmanship for symmetry and quality.
                            cheap bezels have dull diamonds that do not sparkle and are set unevenly.

something like crooked teeth on a twelve yr old.
                            thanks! so far, I have yet to see those set unevenly but sparkle wise, I do see diff. Saw some diamonds of bigger size than the original ones, looks as thou the bezel is a bit over sized for the watch.

Comment

Nice! Thanks for sharing, think that's 179174 rite? Believe the diamond bezel is aftermarket / or done by RSC after purchasing the watch as I heard Rolex only started the diamond bezel for this model on recent 1-2 years? Where did you purchase the bezel from?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X