Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Smartyjones,

Congrats! You have an awesome collection of 1803 and 1803 dials

The gold and white dials you posted look original to me from the photos, although to 100% confirm I would usually need to use my loop and examine the dial, wordings close up, sideways, markers and back to look for imperfections.

Original and nice 1803 dials are really hard to find these days as most are re-conditioned.
    My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
    1) WG DIA 18239
    2) YG DIA 18238
    3) WG 18239
    4) YG 18238
    5) YG 18248G Bark
    6) WG DIA 18039
    7) WG 18039
    8) YG 18038
    9) Tridor DIA 18039B
    10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
    11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
    12) WG 1803
    13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
    1)GMT II 116718 18K
    2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
    1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
    2)D15037 14k
    3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

• Originally posted by cqrp View Post
      SmartyJ your dials are all very crips n' clean.

How often do you change them ?
      Have you mastered the changing of dials by your ownself yet, aka DIY?
      I will only change to the dial I like most and it should remain there as long as possible maybe till the next service. I wish I had mastered the art of changing dials, maybe Ian is able to do it.

Comment

• Not that difficult but you need the tools.
        Open case back, remove stem, pop out movement, remove hands, remove dial.
        Replace dial, replace hands, pop in movement, secure stem and finally screw in case back.

Comment

• Originally posted by smartyjones18 View Post
          I will only change to the dial I like most and it should remain there as long as possible maybe till the next service. I wish I had mastered the art of changing dials, maybe Ian is able to do it.
          So, SmartyJ, how often do you get your DDs serviced?
          Do you get it done at Rolex or outside. What's the bill like?

Tks

Comment

• Originally posted by Distinguido View Post
            Not that difficult but you need the tools.
            Open case back, remove stem, pop out movement, remove hands, remove dial.
            Replace dial, replace hands, pop in movement, secure stem and finally screw in case back.
            Distinguido, thanks.
            Thats sounds correct. How do you ensure that the case has been tightened enough? i.e. is now waterproof upto 100m?
            A very steady set of hands and very nimble fingers are a given for any such watch work. And yes the right set of tools are a must have.

Comment

Distinguido, thanks.
              Thats sounds correct. How do you ensure that the case has been tightened enough? i.e. is now waterproof upto 100m?
              A very steady set of hands and very nimble fingers are a given for any such watch work. And yes the right set of tools are a must have.
              As long as you have properly positioned the caseback into the threads and tightened it with normal adult man's strength, it will be good enough. The rubber gasket is the important part which seals the movement airtight. If your rubber gasket has been compromised, it wont help even if you screw it very tight.

Moreover, I dont think anyone of us here goes deeper than even 25m.
              So i'm not anal about it

Comment

So, SmartyJ, how often do you get your DDs serviced?
                Do you get it done at Rolex or outside. What's the bill like?

Tks
                5-10 years for servicing a rolex is norm and I get retired rolex technician to service, its cheaper and same kind of service, moreover I'm very comfortable with him. I normally pay between $400-$500 including small parts replacement and occasional polishing..

Comment

Distinguido, thanks.
                  DD watertight to 100M??? uncles with pot belly and YG dd cant dive/sink lah... maybe 100MM for a vintage DD in a washing basin dive...you bent the bezel, crack the crystal, chip the dial or the tritium bits and you will get bigger headaches than the cost saving from DIY.
                  Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
                  Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
                  GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
                  GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
                  DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
                  DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
                  , 18238 malachite
                  DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
                  AP 15300 Black
                  Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
                  GP 18k RG
                  IWC Port 3714 Chrono
                  Chronoswiss Skeleton
                  Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

• Originally posted by minimerc View Post
                    DD watertight to 100M??? uncles with pot belly and YG dd cant dive/sink lah... maybe 100MM for a vintage DD in a washing basin dive...you bent the bezel, crack the crystal, chip the dial or the tritium bits and you will get bigger headaches than the cost saving from DIY.
                    Yup need to be competent if DIY.
                    Being really hands on and working on cheaper wathes is a good way to learn.
                    For me , it's not so much about cost savings, but about deeper understanding of the watch and self fulfilment.
                    *big smile*

Comment

• Originally posted by Distinguido View Post
                      Yup need to be competent if DIY.
                      Being really hands on and working on cheaper wathes is a good way to learn.
                      For me , it's not so much about cost savings, but about deeper understanding of the watch and self fulfilment.
                      *big smile*
                      Finally you say the catch..... you got to be competent to DIY..... then it can be said to be easy.....

For me, I not at all competent, so rather pay someone who knows how to do it....
                      I'm in bad company........

Comment

• Seen some of the Rolex repair videos on YT. Its not for the faint of heart.

But having said that I am sure some of the folks here would certainly have changed watch cells / batteries on their own or perhaps tried doing so in the days gone by.

Just different facets of a hobby.

Cheers.

Comment

• these are my dials, quickset and non quickset
                          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Originally posted by smartyjones18 View Post
                            these are my dials, quickset and non quickset
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            That;s quite a collection.
                            And all very good lookign one's there.
                            Been collecting for along while is it?

Comment

• And how do you differentiate between the quickset and the non-quickset types?
                              Are the mounting lugs different or somothing else on them?

Comment

And how do you differentiate between the quickset and the non-quickset types?
                                Are the mounting lugs different or somothing else on them?
                                Pie pan dials are non quickset for 1803 and no mountings behind. quickset dial has 2 and is flat.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X