Local AD and oversea AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local AD and oversea AD

What is the different between getting a Rolex from local AD and oversea AD?

How come local AD will command a higher resale value?

The most common thing that comes to ones mind will be a local ad watch is a BMW from performance motor/or a Merc from Cycle & Carriage... Where as oversea AD is like BMW n Merc from PI dealer.

Having said tat, in cars, there are different options to choose with for the same model, where as watch is totally the same pcs u get from either local or oversea ad. Guess I will not go into details of it for cars.

Next, will be pricing. OS AD is with tax rebate where as Local ad u gotta pay 7% GST. Tat is to say, local AD watch in most case are more expensive than OS AD.

So, natuarally if one will to buy from local ad, chances tat they will want to selling higher than those from OS AD.

Comment

Both originate from Rolex!
      Every attribute of the watch is the same!, less the serial no.

Comment

Originally posted by 3131T View Post
        The most common thing that comes to ones mind will be a local ad watch is a BMW from performance motor/or a Merc from Cycle & Carriage... Where as oversea AD is like BMW n Merc from PI dealer.

Having said tat, in cars, there are different options to choose with for the same model, where as watch is totally the same pcs u get from either local or oversea ad. Guess I will not go into details of it for cars.

Next, will be pricing. OS AD is with tax rebate where as Local ad u gotta pay 7% GST. Tat is to say, local AD watch in most case are more expensive than OS AD.

So, natuarally if one will to buy from local ad, chances tat they will want to selling higher than those from OS AD.
        Perhaps I will not draw analogy to the BMW PI because the warranty and after sales service offered by most watch service centers are the same regardless of whether u buy from local and overseas AD.

I'm not really sure if local AD sets necessarily commanding higher price. The advertised price may be higher cos the seller has bought it at a much higher price than the overseas sets and thus don't want to lose too much,but that doesn't mean the final sales was concluded at that price.
        elusive

Comment

Originally posted by benade View Post
          What is the different between getting a Rolex from local AD and oversea AD?

How come local AD will command a higher resale value?
          U referring to you buying a used local set vs a used overseas set? Or u buying brand new local set from local AD vs u traveling to Europe or elsewhere to buy a new set from the AD there?

A local set in Singapore is regarded as an overseas set by someone else overseas. And vice versa. So really there's no difference.
          elusive

Comment

Originally posted by satch View Post
            Perhaps I will not draw analogy to the BMW PI because the warranty and after sales service offered by most watch service centers are the same regardless of whether u buy from local and overseas AD.

I'm not really sure if local AD sets necessarily commanding higher price. The advertised price may be higher cos the seller has bought it at a much higher price than the overseas sets and thus don't want to lose too much,but that doesn't mean the final sales was concluded at that price.
            Ok if its not appropriate to bring car into discussion here...

As for necessarily commanding higher price or not... Y is TS started a thread like this...

As for concluded at that price. Only seller will know...

Comment

Originally posted by satch View Post
              U referring to you buying a used local set vs a used overseas set? Or u buying brand new local set from local AD vs u traveling to Europe or elsewhere to buy a new set from the AD there?

A local set in Singapore is regarded as an overseas set by someone else overseas. And vice versa. So really there's no difference.
              I tot TS was asking on resale value? I guess it should be used set he is asking about.

As for the vice versa thing, I agree tat there is no difference in the watch phsically...

But there is difference in terms of price... we buy overseas set cheaper due to tax rebate. And same thing, some tourist buy in sgp as there is tax rebate for them too n it might be cheaper then their country tats y they buy in sgp...

Comment

Originally posted by maxxam
                Demand.
                A small portion of the collectors are still interested in getting local sets only and due to the initial higher price, sellers will priced local AD resale watches higher.
                There is nothing to be with the quality of the watch.
                Why are these collectors interested in getting local sets only? This is something which I still cannot understand..

Comment

Originally posted by sty13
                  i dont think there are many of such collectors - should be the very minority type
                  most of us do not collect watches base on location of AD, right?

Iam even surprised there are such collectors around even if they are the minority. The watch is the same, the quality is the same. Value also the same. Why the preference over them versus overseas AD sets?

Comment

Thanks for all the valuable advise.

Comment

As long as price is right and genuine ....who cares
                      My Current Collection :
                      Rolex Submariner 116610LN
                      Rolex Submariner 116610LV aka Hulk
                      Rolex Airking 14000
                      Panerai Submersible Special Edition 364
                      Panerai Luminor 112
                      Omega speed master moonwatch 3570.50
                      Tissot Visodate

Sold and regretted since then
                      Rolex Submariner 16610
                      Rolex GMT 116710LN
                      Rolex Explorer 16570 ( Polar)
                      Tudor heritage Black Bay
                      Omega speed master moonwatch 3873.50
                      Omega speed master pre-moon C321
                      Panerai Submersible 24

Comment

Why are there new watches in (SGROC) Rolex Garage selling so cheap? Even cheaper than HK.

Can anyone advise?

Comment

Above post X2

Comment

Nice example on the 10700 with different senerio...

Originally posted by larry88
                            It's from the ignorant and for the gullible.

(eg, I bought my daytona SS from Europe at list price, which none of the SG ADs would sell you at).
                            Wow... wow... I feel its a bit harsh on the ignorant n gullible... Everybody starts learning from the day u were born n still learning to the day u die...

As for SS Daytona, u will be surprise that now u can get a black face at list price n some discount for the white face from SG ADs...

Read a comment by bro Oceanklassik... Thumbs up....

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                            There are many reasons as to why some people still prefer to buy a local set. Some maybe ignorant, but in most cases that I have seen, ignorance seemed to be the least encountered.

Other reasons include ease of payment, ie instalment scheme, where most local ADs provide at interest-free. Another is the ease of purchase and availability of aftersales service. On top of these, there's also the relationship built up over years between customers and their ADs.

There is no hard-and-fast-rule whether one should purchase from a grey dealer vs AD. If you have the cash in hand, you tend to save more if you buy from a grey dealer. As long as there is a way to authenticate the watch and you do not mind the hassle, I'd say, go for it!

To add to your curiosity, there's also people who buy not from the grey dealers; not even the ADs, but from the brand boutique. So is this the even more 'ignorant' lot? Ponder, ponder..
                            And Ive this fren told me he dun mind paying the few hundreds to a thousand more sitting in a local AD, serve with hot tea, try as many model as he wants, having in mind the watch he already decided b4 he walks in...

So, is he ignorant, gullible, or stupid? This I really cannot answer... To each his own...

Comment

owners who bought their sets locally probably paid a higher price than those who bought overseas or from grey sellers, and therefore when selling they also hope to not lose that much, and therefore may try to advertise at higher prices than overseas sets. however, the final selling price is still a question, whether were they transacted at asking price, similar price as similar overseas sets, or even lower than similar overseas sets, that is really something we do not know. to me, it is just a perception that local sets are 'valued' higher than overseas sets just because some sellers list theirs to ask for higher prices.

i think forumers here would have done their necessary homework before deciding to shop for watches on sg-roc.
                              elusive

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X