Basel 2012: first teaser - SkyDweller? WG Daytona confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basel 2012: first teaser - SkyDweller? WG Daytona confirmed

which model will rolex fine tune for basel 2012?

i am not sure, but i will be putting money on the 14060M. why?

explorer I has undergone a case size upgrade which make me prefer the 14270.

explorer II has undergone a transformation of GMT color hand from red to orange

submariner date has undergone a case size upgrade with bezel

milgauss was 're-issued' with a green sapphire glass crystal

GMT II has gone through a similar change with submariner date

sea dweller has gone deeper with DSSD

there is also an introduction with YMII

daytona has gone subtle changes with bracelet and bezel.

what is left in the sports model that is still pretty intact all these years? the 14060M.

it is the only left without any changes while those in the sports models have changes here and there. i would rather this model stays at it is. a clean dial without date is the preference for some of the rolex collectors. nothing fancy, a beauty in its own right.

however, i doubt rolex will keep it untouched? why? rolex can only increase its price and lowering its discount given to a certain extent. anymore price increase with reduced discount may discourage buyers. as cost of watch may not equal the brand image. over a ten year period, we have seen the list price close to double.

given that the company has to answer to its shareholders who are always looking at more profit annually. how else can rolex increase its price without incurring the wrath of buyers? cosmetics changes and movement changes. movement changes have been few as most of it movements are pretty robust. my 6694 which is close to 20 years old is still keeping good time.

cosmetics changes seems to be the way to go, looking at what has been done to explorer II, sub date, milgauss, etc. what changes will they do to this watch? it is anyone guess. however i got a feeling it go a little vintage way. look @ what JLC did? tribute to polaris. look @ what IWC did? look @ what rolex did with the explorer II?

will they give the 14060M a tad of vintage look? if yes, i would like the white gold surround on the markers to go. that would be enough
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

I think the Daytona would be next on the list to undergo a makeover, the usual trends are showing.

1) Solid gold model having new look. Next year, 2 tone, the year after is SS.
    2) From what I notice, the price of the watch that goes through a makeover will soften before it gets discontinued, then shoot sky high.

Take for example the GMT II, shot up 1k within a day after GMT IIc was released and GMT II became officially discontinued. Crazy!

Daytona's pricing has gone to one of the most reasonable levels of all times besides crisis period in 2008-2009 period. This is the time to buy, if you ask me. But damn...I got no stock

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

I thought the Daytona has a new model out in Basel 2011? The rose-gold or something? And yes, the Submariner 14060M seems to be the safest bet at current situation. In any way if ROLEX will come up with a new 14060M, it will be cost effective since they can use the 116610 case, right? But I do hope they can be a little more daring in their design such that the new 14060M comes with 'bubble' sapphire crystal glass and take away the metal ring on the indexes
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

If I were Rolex I would introduce the 42mm case on the SS version since the mould has already been made for this years' rose gold/ceramic version. The existing SS Daytona design has been there for quite a while and imo starts to look tired. Time to update the size and hopefully the dial. Another arguement is that most of the other sport models have got enhancement in both the design and price, and so the price gap between Daytona (supposedly the grail) and other sport models is no longer as big as it used to be. Hence there is a reason for Rolex to give Dayton SS models a facelift and maintain its clear status at the top of the portfolio price wise.

I will not be able to resist a 42mm SS Daytona with Paul Newman dial - not likely though since Rolex always use the nice dial on WG/YG version. I just hope they keep the bezel SS and not make it ceramic.
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Making Matt luminova index for their new watches has 1 stumbling block...rolex is producing luminova index service dials used to replace tritium Matt dials send in for service. There is luminova 1655 matt service dials, 1680, 1675, 5513, etc currently already.

Rolex could also not change anything for 2012. I guess subtle changes and movement changes to YM. Ha

Comment

if rolex decides to fiddle with the daytona, i hope they don't make it ceramic. the black outer bezel doesn't look right *imo*
            [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
            Blue 6694
            Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
            [U]"My collection"[/U]:
            [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
              if rolex decides to fiddle with the daytona, i hope they don't make it ceramic. the black outer bezel doesn't look right *imo*
              Unfortuately they already did!

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
              I thought the Daytona has a new model out in Basel 2011? The rose-gold or something? And yes, the Submariner 14060M seems to be the safest bet at current situation. In any way if ROLEX will come up with a new 14060M, it will be cost effective since they can use the 116610 case, right? But I do hope they can be a little more daring in their design such that the new 14060M comes with 'bubble' sapphire crystal glass and take away the metal ring on the indexes
              Yeah I mentioned that solid gold daytona has new look already.

But it won't reach the SS version till 2-3 years later.

Comment

I hope they will retain the 14060 look and size.

It's a model that is classic to its roots.
                Better to leave it intact.

Yes removing the white gold ring will be interesting.
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                  Unfortuately they already did!

Yeah I mentioned that solid gold daytona has new look already.

But it won't reach the SS version till 2-3 years later.
                  Lets hope they only fiddle with the RG daytona only! Leave the SS/WG bezels alone.
                  [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                  Blue 6694
                  Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                    Lets hope they only fiddle with the RG daytona only! Leave the SS/WG bezels alone.
                    You continue wishing Hehehe

Comment

But like what triton is speculating, ROLEX is likely to modify (not too drastically) its remaining models and the 14060M happens to be a 'potential candidate'. Economically speaking, the chances of it using the same mould of the 116610 seems rather high too. The only issue is the wishful thinking on our part that we hope the change/modification can be more 'adventurous'.
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

now i am thinking of getting a either 14060 or 14060M
                        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                          now i am thinking of getting a either 14060 or 14060M
                          Go for 5513 lah...the classic ND.

Comment

wait for your b&p. hehe

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                            Go for 5513 lah...the classic ND.

kindly email with
                            2. your nick

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                              wait for your b&p. hehe
                              Sorry. Mine all the lao kok kok type. Don't have B&P top quality type. Ha

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X