my views on some sports models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my views on some sports models

i have received several enquires on GMT Master II so i thought i would just share my views on them.

1) is it worth it to get those with 3186 movement

the GMT Master II 16710 has been discontinued already from jun 2007. between jun 2007 to jun 2008. there were people looking to purchase this model irregardless of bezel color. prices were commanding a premium with those 3186 movement were commanding @ a much higher premium.

the last done list was about 7444. prior to discontinuation, you can get it for like 6450 in jun 2007 and even lower before that. this is to give you a rough guide what the pricing was back then.

now the main issue. worth to get or not. depends on you. to me, no one is able to tell if it is a 3185 or 3186 by JUST looking @ it. several ways to prove it is open case back or perform the wiggle test. most people along the street wont even know what kind of movement it has. most people along the street wont even bother to know.

it is only enthusiats or collectors who MAY or MAY NOT bother when purchasing such a piece. likewise, i used to be so interested in getting a zenith movement rolex. but after 4 years, i decided to give up. why? because the commanding prices is drum up by sellers who say it is a unique movement on the daytona series.

2) premium price for rare ll font aka also known as stick font

now that it has been discontinued, the ll font could be an error by manufacturer that was not detected. so it is individual taste. your choice.

3) i also received enquires on the 3186 on explorer II.

is it worth it to get one with 3186. initially, everyone was excited about it because it was a new movement on a explorer II. there were people trying to lay hands on them, this might have push up the prices. however, looking @ this. i wont be surprise that the explorer II house the 3186 movement. unless rolex decided to stop putting the 3186 in the watch then it would be another story.

bottom line, buy what you like. it is your money. how you spend it is your choice. do not buy it because u intend to sell it @ a higher price. u buy it because you like it. if it commands a premium price in future, then it is a bonus.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

nice article... can't speak for others.. but defintely helpful for me...bottomline is buy if you like the watch... be it 3185 or 3186 movement... personal point of view on the value gaining portion is that it probably would not gain alot of value in the future, considering the number of pieces available... and it ain't exactly a limited edition.. but only discountinued now... so unless you got a brand new piece (or a near to brand new piece) and you intend to keep it for a good 20 to 30 years... then why think so much.... if you like it... and your pockets permits (and wife permits .. for alot of us I think)... and of course it's a good and worth purchase ... then buy it and enjoy it... have a smile whenever u put it on.. or take it out of your watch box / winder for a look ...

Then again.. what do I know.. just a amaetur in this watch passion ... anyway, just my thoughts on watch purchase... hehe... no offence to anyone though...

P.S. Triton - thanks a lot for your opinion all the time.. will probably still have to trouble you in future... me not too knowledgeable yet...

Comment

Well done Triton... I believe this article will be damn useful for those still unable to make up their mind on which should buy.

Comment

no worries. i just post it cause quite a number of pm. then i got tired typing all over again. so might as well post it. then link it...easier for me and those who want to ask. as mentioned, it is all personal opinion. some will agree, some will disagree.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by cedric View Post
          nice article... can't speak for others.. but defintely helpful for me...bottomline is buy if you like the watch... be it 3185 or 3186 movement... personal point of view on the value gaining portion is that it probably would not gain alot of value in the future, considering the number of pieces available... and it ain't exactly a limited edition.. but only discountinued now... so unless you got a brand new piece (or a near to brand new piece) and you intend to keep it for a good 20 to 30 years... then why think so much.... if you like it... and your pockets permits (and wife permits .. for alot of us I think)... and of course it's a good and worth purchase ... then buy it and enjoy it... have a smile whenever u put it on.. or take it out of your watch box / winder for a look ...

Then again.. what do I know.. just a amaetur in this watch passion ... anyway, just my thoughts on watch purchase... hehe... no offence to anyone though...

P.S. Triton - thanks a lot for your opinion all the time.. will probably still have to trouble you in future... me not too knowledgeable yet...
          The more you buy, the more knowledgeable you'll get
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Correcto!

Investment should always be a secondary concern, the main thing should always be - Buy what speaks to you. Watches, besides telling time is to be an enjoyment. So enjoy your peices!

For me, in regards to the issue with the 3186 and 3185, I tend to agree with Triton, unless the physical representative is significantly different I don't see why the hype. In the case of the Zenith Daytona at least you can tell the diff by looking at the dial.

But in the end, Buy what you like and what you can afford and live well

Comment

just to add a little, read from rolexforum.com that our favourite has already successfully filed for a patent for pepsi ceramic bezel but when will our "fave beverage" be served is anyone's guess.
              Remnants of my irresponsibility:
              "Foreign affections"
              1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
              2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
              3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
              4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
              What's NEXT?

Comment

nicely said triton!

the mov't inside is not going to make/kill the watch. and *imo* the prices asked for watches with the newer mov't is just abit over the top.
                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                Blue 6694
                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
                  just to add a little, read from rolexforum.com that our favourite has already successfully filed for a patent for pepsi ceramic bezel but when will our "fave beverage" be served is anyone's guess.
                  Sorry OT abit ... Bro... where is the article... cannot find in rolexforum.com leh...

Comment

Great insights bro triton. Thks for sharing
                    运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Zenith daytona is different, you can differentiate it easily by looking at the dial especially the white dial with three black sub dial ring. Zenith movement is no longer made while 3186 is still in production. You seldom find Rolex that house another manufacturer movement. Give it another 10 years it will become vintage and desirable.

I do agree on the GMT2 3186 movement, you can hardly see the different.
                      Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                      Rolex LV submariner
                      Rolex TT black submariner
                      Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                      Rolex Non date submariner
                      Rolex Explorer2
                      More...

Comment

To certain extent, some of us are really gullible enough to be caught into speculation. each time when news of a model is abt to be retired, the prices start shooting up.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X