Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Needed: how to go about acquiring a vintage pepsi gmt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed: how to go about acquiring a vintage pepsi gmt?

Have and explorer II so thinking about getting a vintage rolex.

Looking at the 16710 gmt, any ideas how to start given that its not exactly easily available in Singapore?

way too expensive in singapore.

fly to HK if you're not comfortable buying off TRF or VRM.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

saw quite a few forumers trying to sell 16710 b/w 5.1k and 7k..... depending on conditions n whether full set or not.

Comment

5.1k? if that includes bracelet, you should very quickly run to the seller for a viewing (with cash in hand).
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by blackie1788 View Post
          saw quite a few forumers trying to sell 16710 b/w 5.1k and 7k..... depending on conditions n whether full set or not.
          premium for original hands, dial and bezel worth it?

Comment

not sure what u mean by original hands, dial n bezel? Basically if it is not original at all, dont buy it..

Comment

if i am not mistaken, it is referring to hands/dial/bezel has not been changed.

Originally posted by metalgear View Post
              Originally posted by blackie1788 View Post
              not sure what u mean by original hands, dial n bezel? Basically if it is not original at all, dont buy it..
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

honestly how can one tell if it is the original parts? how old is the watch? one can only take the seller's word for it. then again is the seller the first owner or the Nth owner?

it is a slippery road with many pot holes for vintages if one is not careful.

as it is a vintage, it means it is likely to be discontinued. so it is how much you want to own the watch. is the watch for keeps or is it a flipping exercise. these are some of the questions you need to ask yourself before you decide if you want to pay a premium.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

bro Taxico, pls clear mailbox. U've got PM

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                    way too expensive in singapore.

fly to HK if you're not comfortable buying off TRF or VRM.
                    ok need help here ... whats TRF or VRM ...PM me if not OK to discuss here

Comment

rolexforums.com

vintagerolexmarket.com

if in violation, please delete. there are reputable full time dealers that sell on those two forums.

naturally, you need the pre-requisite experience to know what questions to ask in emails and things to look out for in the photos.

but as long as the return policy is to your satisfaction, you should be able to authenticate it somewhere (let them know this is happening) before deciding if you want it returned.

a good dealer won't bother hiding any defects to begin with as they don't want to deal with a returned watch but make sure you ask all your questions before wiring money.

etc etc. search around for more advice that's on this forum.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I went with the lowest cost option and eventually got my GMT Master II Coke K Series from a seller in this forum. No bracelet - which lowered the costs even further - but this suits me well as I intend to wear the watch on a leather Nato.

Service paper shows matching serial number, with service done about 5 years ago, but the watch is running strong and accurate - should I send it in for an "inspection" or just let it be?

Also is it easy to acquire a Pepsi bezel and is it a DIY job to pry out and replace the insert?

Comment

I went with the lowest cost option and eventually got my GMT Master II Coke K Series from a seller in this forum...

Service paper shows matching serial number, with service done about 5 years ago, but the watch is running strong and accurate - should I send it in for an "inspection" or just let it be?

Also is it easy to acquire a Pepsi bezel and is it a DIY job to pry out and replace the insert?
                          if the watch moevment does what it should (hourly jumps, fast date jumps, etc), then i would just let it be. you can easily learn how to tell a genuine insert using the internet as your reference.

bezel insert replacement methods are also on youtube.

how do you know watch is running strong and accurate? the only thing you can tell is accuracy and PR. everything else needs a timegraph which, most times, will tell you more than you want to know. most watch techs will let you borrow one at no cost... if they are free.

the internet will teach you how to read one.

Comment

can anyone tell me buying pepsi bezel on ebay are they safe? or are there many fakes? thanks

Comment

I thought and I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere in this forum that one is able to purchase a GMT bezel insert from RSC? Am I wrong?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X