1st vintage to get...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st vintage to get...

Several people have in the past....as well as recently,asked me what would be the best vintage to get as their first piece.

To this question, its has been, and still will be , the iconic non-date sub 5513.This is one of the longest production ref. model made by ROLEX, thus it is still relatively eazy to get your hands on.

This is still a relatively affordable vintage piece, as compared with the 1665 sea dweller and the 1655 orange hand explorer 2.It won't burn a hole in your pocket.

Also, its a good 'Learner' watch, as you learn how to maintain and take care of a PLASTIC crystal watch.Its less painful to scratch a $5000++ watch than a $20000++ watch.....right??

Another point to note, other than the no crown guard subs, collectively known as the JAMES BOND subs,This is the only guarded sub that has made it to a JAMES BOND movie.That movie was LIVE AND LET DIE, starring ROGER MOORE.That 5513 was equipped with the famous buzz saw bezel,.....I bought that DVD just for that scene alone.....

So to all who has the interest, or wants to start a vintage collection,I strongly reccomend this humble yet iconic sub.

Just my humble opinion to all.Cheers.Peter.

hi Peter, if it's not too much trouble, can u PM me where i might find this? And how much i should be looking to fork out for it?

Thanks!
    There is no true love, just a finely tuned jealousy

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
      hi Peter, if it's not too much trouble, can u PM me where i might find this? And how much i should be looking to fork out for it?

Thanks!
      Have shot you a PM.Good luck in yr hunt....

Comment

Wow...wise words from the vintage pro himself =D

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Hi, can someone please tell me what is a reasonable price to pay for a 1985 5513 sub with no box or papers? Is $6000 worth it?

Comment

NO!
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by profjohn View Post
              Hi, can someone please tell me what is a reasonable price to pay for a 1985 5513 sub with no box or papers? Is $6000 worth it?
              Hi problmchylde - Rolex Admirer , may I ask what would be the best ideal price range for a good condition 5513 with original box and full papers.

As it is a vintage Rolex, the tritium coat on the dial will not be able to glow anymore. Is there anyway that RSC can relume a old vintage dial???
              the Trails and the Ocean !

Comment

Originally posted by kermit e froggy View Post
                As it is a vintage Rolex, the tritium coat on the dial will not be able to glow anymore. Is there anyway that RSC can relume a old vintage dial???
                my guess is cannot.....can confirm?
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Hi problmchylde - Rolex Admirer , may I ask what would be the best ideal price range for a good condition 5513 with original box and full papers.

If I am not wrong. RSC singapore will only replace the dial to the new type gloss dial.They dun relume.As for 5513 wif box and paper.....very hard to say.Its supply and demand.he who has a complete set nowadays can ask just about any price as he deems fit....as a complete set is quite rare.Even I am looking out for a full set.

Comment

Not even a vintage yet, but my T series 14060 tritium coat already not glowing.
                    If you found someone who can relume, pls let me know too. thanks
                    Submariner 14060
                    Breitling Colt Auto II
                    Chopard Mille Miglia GMT
                    Bell & Ross BR03-92
                    MM20

Comment

Originally posted by bEnd1ck View Post
                      If yours is a 14060 wif tritium coating.......don't relume or replace the dial.Original Tritium dials are more collectable in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by bEnd1ck View Post
                        IMO, it really wonderful to own a historical piece. However, one has to bear the imperfections which the timpiece has gone through. Till now, has anyone whom you guys know, who has the facility to relume a tritium dial cos Tritium is Radioactive and harmful if one is not careful. Handling with Tritium has to have a licence if I am not wrong.

Does anyone has any idea if JW can do tritium dial relume ?

Some overseas reference~
                        http://www.everestwatchworks.com/index.html

http://www.newatchworks.com/

http://www.bobthayerjr.com/
                        the Trails and the Ocean !

Comment

Originally posted by problmchylde View Post
                          If yours is a 14060 wif tritium coating.......don't relume or replace the dial.Original Tritium dials are more collectable in the future.
                          OK, will heed your advice. . dont relume...
                          I'm not planning the change the dial ... I'm keeping the "swiss-t<25" dial
                          Submariner 14060
                          Breitling Colt Auto II
                          Chopard Mille Miglia GMT
                          Bell & Ross BR03-92
                          MM20

Comment

if Tritium is that bad, most of us who had to do NS and use the tritium sights on the M16 all kena already...

tritium is not that bad.
                            It's Radium , which was used before tritium , that is very toxic.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X