Rollie experts needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rollie experts needed.

i have a handed down 70s to 80s Rolex OysterDate from Daddy, sent for servicing before which costed about $800-$900 locally, was asked wanna change the water proofing seal, guess what, was told it will cost me about $3000 with installation ...... i am wondering how much this watch worth today .......

Wah.so ex. Cutthroat

Comment

this looks like a 6694. is the price quoted from rsc?

very much depends on what needs to be done on a vintage like this

if your case back is not rusted then doing a water proof test might be worth considering since it is handed down. water proof test can come in 2 type - wet or dry. the test is usually about 200 may or may not include parts.

if your case back is rusted and/or pitted. then no point doing the water proof test.

Originally posted by jeremy_kokwk View Post
      i have a handed down 70s to 80s Rolex OysterDate from Daddy, sent for servicing before which costed about $800-$900 locally, was asked wanna change the water proofing seal, guess what, was told it will cost me about $3000 with installation ...... i am wondering how much this watch worth today .......

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

That is way expensive. Generally about $300-400 should include a movement service and case refinish. Your watch doesnt look to be badly worn so a service will bring it back to like 'new'. Rolex charges a bit more but their workmanship is second to none.

Regards

Eugene
        navalwatch@blogspot.com

Comment

personally i feel that since it is a hand me down watch from one generation to another, the watch is priceless. i think to put a value to such sentimental watch is unjust.

Originally posted by jeremy_kokwk View Post
          i have a handed down 70s to 80s Rolex OysterDate from Daddy,
          Originally posted by Rolex116613
          I think your watch is worth about $1800
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

ok thx bros for your valuable inputs , guess i will take very good care of this baby and pass down to my kids.................

Comment

Originally posted by Rolex116613
              Yups, agree.
              If I am you, I will spend to service it.
              If this Rolex form part of my memory of my dad, I will do regular service but I will not do the 3000 waterproof sealing.

Comment

RSC recently quoted me 5K+ to service a 16013. I was shocked and told them the quote was ridiculous for such an old watch. They clarified that 5K+ is for the "full package" to restore the watch back to its glory - i.e. servicing, components, dial, croc leather strap, case and case back etc.

Customers can opt for the minimum package of servicing + component, which was $1.3K for my watch. However, the warranty for servicing will not cover waterproofing as the case and case back (rusty) were not changed.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                  personally i feel that since it is a hand me down watch from one generation to another, the watch is priceless. i think to put a value to such sentimental watch is unjust.
                  As it is of sentimental value to you, you should service the watch (at least a overhaul). However, as to water seal the watch for $3000 is for your personal consideration.

Just my 0.02 cents view.
                  Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Wahhhhh...!!! Bro... $3k sounds like a hell of alot to repair than just for water resistant test la... Sounds more like you need a new movement bro... I think just do normal service can already bro... I also had a rolex 1601 from the 70's passed down to me from my uncle... Which i IBS go n sell... But the first and foremost thing i did to that watch was take out the bracelet and used my daughter's old baby toothbrush and used a mild bar soap and brushed the watch to remove all the dirt which accumalted over the many many years my uncle was wearing it and he NEVER took care of that watch and guess wat... I ran it under a tap for a few mins and still no water got in...

So i guess your watch should have no water water problems la... But don't pay $3k to service that watch... Maybe pay ard $1k plus for an overhaul... Cheers n gd luck...
                    HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION
                    ROLEX SUBMARINER 116613LBD 8 POINT DIAMOND DIAL "G" SERIAL
                    Rolex Submariner TT 16613LN "s" series<<<[TRADED]
                    Rolex Datejust 1601 "5 mil" series<<<[SOLD]
                    Breitling Sirius Automatic 18K/SS B10071<<<[SOLD]
                    TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Date CV2010
                    G-Shock mudman g9300 ( daily beater )

HER'S
                    Rolex ladies datejust
                    vintage Cartier tank 18k
                    TAG Heuer Formula 1 ceramic diamonds

Comment

Wow! Must agree with most ppl tat the price is abit steep, but then again it's a vintage/out of production 6694, & more imptly passed down from dad, so i would seriously tink twice if it's worth the $$$ for the complete waterproof/overhaul job or jus do the minimal 2 keep it gg & pass it on 2 ur next gen?

Rolex owner since 2010
                      Previously owned:
                      Explorer II(216570) black dial AN serial
                      GMT-Master II(116710LN) AN serial
                      Current collection:
                      Datejust 36(116234) V serial
                      GMT-Master II(116713LN) AN serial
                      Upcoming/Wishlist:
                      "Hulk" green sub(116610LV)

Comment

S$3k is ridiculous, you could buy almost two 6694's in fair condition with that kind of money. Changing waterproof seals refers to the crystal, crown, tube and caseback gaskets (black rubber rings) and for any cases of pitting/corrosion, laser-welding. A specific hydrophobic gel is also applied between metal-on-metal contacts (crystal retaining ring, bezel, caseback etc) to prevent moisture from 'hiding' in these areas and causing pitting/corrosion.

From your single pic (need pictures of the caseback off and the movement to ascertain further), your watch looks in great condition and i can't tell if there's any issue. Lugs are thick and even, crystal is clear, hands are not corroded, bracelet looks tight. Just take the watch for a simple dry pressure test (3atm) and ask to see the results. It's low pressure enough that if it's not watertight, nothing will be damaged.
                        Live for Greatness

Comment

Change to 3rd party saphire crystal..caseback transparent..ask a renowned watchshop do it plus servicing ..haha..that's I am going to do when ibget a6694

Comment

that's really a killer pricing...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X