• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Good

Comment

• Originally posted by makapook View Post
        I don't know which European country offers the best deals but this is what I gathered from my own travels.

1. Holland. Good VAT refunds but the prices are pretty inflexible. Was in boutique but couldn't squeeze one euro out from them. Was in Amsterdam in 2014 but I didn't buy anything.

2. UK. Although the VAT is 20% (flat tax system), after exorbitant charges essentially u get back only about 12% refunds. Bought two Cartiers there in 2012.

3. Spain. Taxes as high as 21% but u receive (it's tiered system) up to 19% refund (after fees) at top tier. I basically bought 4 pieces. 2 for my own consumption. 2 more to bump up the refunds bracket to the max and resell on this forum. Got a nice bulk discount as well. My buyers can get it cheap and I got mine cheap too! Win-win.

4. Italy. Tiered system as well. 14% tax refunded to you. Very good boutique discounts. Not sure how but some dealers move the pieces across the EU and back and avoided tax totally. I got the best discounts while I was in Venice. Again I did the same thing I did in Spain. Buying extra pieces to max out my tax refunds and negotiate with dealer a bulk discount.

5. Switzerland. Flat tax system. Discounts are decent. I bought a Patek there on the back of weak Swiss Francs during 2013.

There are a few factors to watch out for:

1. Currency exchange. Big difference when Euros dipped from 1.7 to 1.5 which is 10% gained already.

2. Pool resources and do bulk purchase in countries that have tier system of vat refunds. I.e higher quantum higher refunds.

3. Credit Card limitations and average 3% fees on cards. Some cards have good rebates on overseas spend which negates the fees. The miles u accumulate might also offset your flight tickets.

4. Luggage space and robbery risk in Europe is real. Be careful!

Cheers
        NIce information. Thanks.

Comment

• Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing

Comment

• thanks for sharing the impt information!!

Comment

• Congrats! My next watch most likely, but may end up going for YM TT

Comment

• Originally posted by makapook View Post
                I don't know which European country offers the best deals but this is what I gathered from my own travels.

1. Holland. Good VAT refunds but the prices are pretty inflexible. Was in boutique but couldn't squeeze one euro out from them. Was in Amsterdam in 2014 but I didn't buy anything.

2. UK. Although the VAT is 20% (flat tax system), after exorbitant charges essentially u get back only about 12% refunds. Bought two Cartiers there in 2012.

3. Spain. Taxes as high as 21% but u receive (it's tiered system) up to 19% refund (after fees) at top tier. I basically bought 4 pieces. 2 for my own consumption. 2 more to bump up the refunds bracket to the max and resell on this forum. Got a nice bulk discount as well. My buyers can get it cheap and I got mine cheap too! Win-win.

4. Italy. Tiered system as well. 14% tax refunded to you. Very good boutique discounts. Not sure how but some dealers move the pieces across the EU and back and avoided tax totally. I got the best discounts while I was in Venice. Again I did the same thing I did in Spain. Buying extra pieces to max out my tax refunds and negotiate with dealer a bulk discount.

5. Switzerland. Flat tax system. Discounts are decent. I bought a Patek there on the back of weak Swiss Francs during 2013.

There are a few factors to watch out for:

1. Currency exchange. Big difference when Euros dipped from 1.7 to 1.5 which is 10% gained already.

2. Pool resources and do bulk purchase in countries that have tier system of vat refunds. I.e higher quantum higher refunds.

3. Credit Card limitations and average 3% fees on cards. Some cards have good rebates on overseas spend which negates the fees. The miles u accumulate might also offset your flight tickets.

4. Luggage space and robbery risk in Europe is real. Be careful!

Cheers
                Very helpful. Agree te admin charges for UK VAT returns are silly high.
                1942 Rolex Bubbleback - 1958 Rolex date just - 1969 Heuer Autavia - 1970 Heuer Autavia - 1971 Heuer Montreal - 1972 Heuer Silverstone - 1972 Heuer Monaco - 1975 Heuer Bund - 1977 Rolex 1680 sub - 2004 Rolex no date sub - 2006 Tag Heuer Carrera - 2007 Brietling Emergency - 2007 Tag Heuer Monaco - 2007 Hublot Big Bang

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X