My vintage 6694 Oysterdate Precision w Mercedes hour hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My vintage 6694 Oysterdate Precision w Mercedes hour hand

This was the very first expensive watch I bought with savings from the first two paychecks of my working life ... now after so many years of slogging, my paychecks are still used to fund this deadly addictive watch-collecting hobby. Sometimes I dunno whether to laugh or cry ...

Okay, I really need the opinion and expert views of the bros here in SGROC. Just glancing at the dial of this 6694, has Rolex ever made a dial like this coupled with the hands on this watch?

My knowledge of the history of Rolex is virtually non-existent which is why I joined this wonderful forum.

Everytime I look at my watch, I always feel uncomfortable with the coronet. It seems too "bulging" and "fat" to be an original. I'm just wondering if the shop I bought it from put on an aftermarket custom-made coronet.

Or has anyone seen a similar looking coronet on a stock dial? My option is probably to take it into RSC to have it serviced and verified at the same time. Any idea how much servicing on a manual wind 6694 will cost?

Really look forward to your comments. Thanks in advance!

Comment

*imo* something doesnt sit right, and its not just the hands.
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
        *imo* something doesnt sit right, and its not just the hands.
        That's what I thought so the more I look at it. Hence the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by jonolau View Post
          This was the very first expensive watch I bought with savings from the first two paychecks of my working life ... now after so many years of slogging, my paychecks are still used to fund this deadly addictive watch-collecting hobby. Sometimes I dunno whether to laugh or cry ...

IMO, The 6694 doesn't seems quite right...

1st thing is definately the hands... If it is a vintage 6694, doesn't think it comes with this kinda "thick" mercedes hands... somemore after so many years still "glowing strong". The second hands also doesn't comes in blue hands if I'm not wrong...

2nd thing is the dial... Roman wordings on original 6694?? Seems like an aftermarket dial to me...

3rd thing is the bracelet clasp... doesn't seems right with the 357 bracelet... (Can't really tell as can't see the wordings on the inside of the clasp). This kinda clasp seems to be on older bracelet... more to the riveted type I guess...

These are juz my observations.... any experts here pls feel free to correct me hor

Regards

Comment

technically, the glowing part is abit suspicious. this is because my explorer II hands and lume markers have faded after that years. the glow is very bright unless they used some special material i dont know. the bracelet from what i can make out seems to be the folded bracelet type aka thin bracelet which was 'issued' together with the 6694 series. the number on the bracelet i cant see clearly, so cannot comment.
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Sounds like aftermarket hands..

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

LOL, the prognosis seems to be getting bleaker by the minute and going downhill ...

I've always suspected that it's a rojak watch, but so far mechanism is working well. I guess I'll still keep it as a sentimental reminder of my early ages of watch collecting!

Comment

mayb can try asking RSC ^^($75)^^
                  I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Polishing of watch

Hi,

I am new here. what do i use to polish rolex watches? Kindly advised.

Comment

your money!! go to rsc when service they will polish. otherwise you can always go to third party and ask for polishing services.

if you are a DIY type of person, you can try and polish yourself using polishing wheel and bench grinder.
                      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                      Blue 6694
                      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Welcome here. Some use cape cod polishing cloth for the shiny surfaces. I'm not too sure about other products.
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Definitely the dial is aftermarket or more likely has been refinished.

6694's only had plain dials and never had hands like that.

100% sure!!

Comment

Bro Jonathan, I had never came across a 6694 with dial & hands like those ... but if the watch is working well, I would just keep it for sentimental value ...
                            运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Thanks and good point. I'm going to keep this watch for sentimental reasons regardless of whether it's aftermarket or not.

Will remind me of how far I'm come in watch collecting and my life!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X