A little DIY on Easter Sunday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little DIY on Easter Sunday...

Well, I just picked up a 1675 MK1 from overseas and it arrived on Good Friday evening...

The cyclops was a little deformed, probably due to polishing the plexi crystal. Seller was nice and quick to refund some money.

The date doesn't show very well...I thought "nevermind lah, wear first." But after being on my wrist for only the past 2 days....it was a real sight for sore eyes!

I decided that I would do something about it today...
    "Plastic is cheap, if spoil...still can replace cheaply", and also easier to save...

So I grabbed a hammer and small screwdriver, and started to go to work on the cyclops...didn't work...and things started to look bad, with chips and scratches all over.

Next...I used fine grit sandpaper, and went all out for 5 minutes. I disintegrated the whole cyclops! But full of scratches...

Then went on to using a polishing compound....

Next...metal polish (on and off 3 times + final buffing by hand)

Lastly, finished it off with cape cod polishing cloth.

Sorry, no step by step pictures....as quite busy & kan cheong at the same time.

Here is the final result...I turned a tropic 116 into a tropic 38...hehehe

Total time taken, was less than 30 mins.

Just to share...all comments welcome....

Cheers!
    [FONT="Verdana"][B]The Best Dive Is Always The Next One[/B][/FONT]

Unique look n nice//thanks for sharing!

Comment

Cyclops Removal

errrrr bud, there's afew ways...saw this article on the web some yrs ago. Here you go...

Cyclops Removal
      By J. Peter

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who like a cyclops and those who don’t. I often see people on timezone wanting to know how to remove the cyclops from their watch. And then other people come into my shop and want me to put one on their watch. I have one customer who brings in every new watch he buys and has me install a cyclops.

So, can you do it and how? If your watch has an acrylic (plastic) crystal the answer is no, you are stuck with a cyclops. If it has a glass or sapphire crystal the cyclops is in fact glued on to the crystal after the fact. Usually this is done with a glue that cures under ultra-violet light which has optical properties similar to that of glass. These can come off, occasionally I see a watch where the cyclops came off accidently.

There are several methods for removal. These tend to work better on sapphire than mineral glass and I am not responsible for any scratched or broken crystals, there is risk involved.

The chisel method. — Place a sharp chisel right along the corner of the cyclops and give it a tap. Cyclops pops right off, clean up any glue with acetone.
      Heat - Apply heat (like with a soldering iron) to the cyclops, this will soften the glue, slide it right off.
      Remove the crystal and soak it in acetone until the cyclops comes off (1-2 days). Re-install crystal.
      Install a new xtal without cyclops
      Combination of all 3. Some cyclopses are stubborn, you can’t fool them all as easily as did Odysseus.

Original link below,

http://watchmakingblog.com/2008/04/23/cyclops-removal/

Comment

Looks way better now man! hehehehe

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
          errrrr bud, there's afew ways...saw this article on the web some yrs ago. Here you go...

Cyclops Removal
          By J. Peter

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who like a cyclops and those who don’t. I often see people on timezone wanting to know how to remove the cyclops from their watch. And then other people come into my shop and want me to put one on their watch. I have one customer who brings in every new watch he buys and has me install a cyclops.

So, can you do it and how? If your watch has an acrylic (plastic) crystal the answer is no, you are stuck with a cyclops. If it has a glass or sapphire crystal the cyclops is in fact glued on to the crystal after the fact. Usually this is done with a glue that cures under ultra-violet light which has optical properties similar to that of glass. These can come off, occasionally I see a watch where the cyclops came off accidently.

There are several methods for removal. These tend to work better on sapphire than mineral glass and I am not responsible for any scratched or broken crystals, there is risk involved.

The chisel method. — Place a sharp chisel right along the corner of the cyclops and give it a tap. Cyclops pops right off, clean up any glue with acetone.
          Heat - Apply heat (like with a soldering iron) to the cyclops, this will soften the glue, slide it right off.
          Remove the crystal and soak it in acetone until the cyclops comes off (1-2 days). Re-install crystal.
          Install a new xtal without cyclops
          Combination of all 3. Some cyclopses are stubborn, you can’t fool them all as easily as did Odysseus.

Original link below,

http://watchmakingblog.com/2008/04/23/cyclops-removal/
          Hi Louie, I saw that article....but the part in RED says that it can't be done...

Comment

Originally posted by caeden View Post
            Hi Louie, I saw that article....but the part in RED says that it can't be done...
            oic...gees,missed that part that its not for acrylic crystal. Hopefully you didnt hurt yourself with the tools..

Comment

pro sia, bro.
              Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

very nicely done!
                --------------------
                My Humble Collection:

AP Black Rubberclad
                Pam 351M
                Rolex 216570
                Rolex 16610
                Rolex 6694
                Seiko sbbn007 Tuna
                Sinn U1 Black

Comment

Amazing job! Did you cramp the watch or did with the plexi crystal removed?

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                    Amazing job! Did you cramp the watch or did with the plexi crystal removed?
                    It was all free hand...only removed the bezel.

Comment

Cool

Wow Cool Bro....That was awesome...something so simple that never came into my mind.... Thanks for sharing

Comment

Veri swee...thanks for sharing

Comment

haha. i guess after friday's comment, u could not take it..

anyway, now if u go out with this watch, i wonder how many will say it is not original?
                          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                          1. subject heading indicating your issue
                          2. your nick
                          3. your corresponding email address
                          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Nice n special....
                            Current:
                            No More Liao...

Comment

Just completed a 2 minute finishing job, with one of these...

I tried to catch the light, to show the even surface reflection...

After much scrutinising....it is scratchless & good as new. Not a trace of a cyclops, ever being present.

Cheers!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X