No announcement yet.

Too many local watch forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im aware that when you contributed, you had no intention of the title in mind. in a way, i believe that the title can inspire other members.

i agree that it did not be technical in nature but to share experiences about say authenticating a vintage watch.

feedback on regards to commercialization/monetizing the site is taken into consideration.

Originally posted by taxico View Post
    let me be quick to comment that my past posts were not made with obtaining a title in mind, and that it doesn't matter to me what level or title i am. i'm sure i'm not the only member who feels this way.

rather, to recap, a title can better compel members to contribute by way of quality posts. even new members can participate by pointing out information they have recently learnt or directing even newer members (hey, we all have to start somewhere) to the appropriate posts/links.

i also think it doesn't necessarily have to be technical in nature, as some members have recently tried, perhaps to encourage discussion by coming up with relevant topics.

finally, while i hope this forum continues to prosper, i humbly hope the staff can seek a balance of a "familial" product (built on good ole organic growth with the END USER in mind) than fall prey to excessive commercialization/monetizing of the site.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

So back to the topic of how so many local forums are to co-exist.

I talked about product differentiation. It might be easier said than done when most of the forums take the bao-ga-liao (all-in-one) approach, i.e. regardless if a forum is brand based or theme focused it offers almost everything in the form of sub forums. That makes it more difficult for the brand based or theme focused forums to flourish, especially if it is a late comer, but not impossible.

In an ideal world, the various local forums would avoid overlapping contents and put their best ideas and resources in developing the area(s) they are focusing on. A same user would then have good reason to regularly visit every forums with different but solid products for different experience. However I don't see this happening due to two reasons - human issue and commercial consideration. I hope I am wrong. It is not the nature of businesses to concede but compete.
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

I believe many Seiko lovers have visited Thomas Yeo's Yeoman's Weblog or Yeoman's Watch Review, which focus on Seiko and Orient watches. His contents are quite simple, or even predictable, and yet extremely popular among Seiko/Orient watch lovers both local and overseas due to that they provides the right level and not overwhelming information, clear and crispy pictures, and are very up-to-date with first-hand info such as if the watch being reviewed is available for sales and at where (although it is almost always the same shop ) Thomas is also very interactive on his weblog/site.

This is one example of focusing on one thing and doing it well.

Comment

dont think it is fair to compare a blog and forum. a blog is one-to-many while a forum is many-to-many.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
          I believe many Seiko lovers have visited Thomas Yeo's Yeoman's Weblog or Yeoman's Watch Review, which focus on Seiko and Orient watches. His contents are quite simple, or even predictable, and yet extremely popular among Seiko/Orient watch lovers both local and overseas due to that they provides the right level and not overwhelming information, clear and crispy pictures, and are very up-to-date with first-hand info such as if the watch being reviewed is available for sales and at where (although it is almost always the same shop ) Thomas is also very interactive on his weblog/site.

This is one example of focusing on one thing and doing it well.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
          2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
            dont think it is fair to compare a blog and forum. a blog is one-to-many while a forum is many-to-many.
            No I am not comparing blog to forum but just citing it as an example of doing well in one thing. As a matter of fact there are many watch blogs around, so the fact that Yeoman's stands out is relevant to the subject.

Imagine if you put the Yeoman's into a seiko forum, wouldn't it make the content of the forum more solid and attractive? If one-to-many would work, why not many-to-many?

My ideas may not be the best, so I am hoping others can contribute.

Comment

Many to many can work, but might need a lot more resources in term of moderators. Looking at some of those oversea forums basically they have different moderators to take care different topics and they are all so ready to keep members in check. The moderators are also very knowledgeable and very active in engaging the members in their respective areas.

Comment

yes, the topic of moderators being knowledgeable and keeping members in check are very hard to come by especially in the local scene. this is the very limitation that i have been trying to address over the years managing this forum. i have tried to get some of the members who have worked as moderators before. sadly, these moderators also feel the strain of managing a forum.

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
                Many to many can work, but might need a lot more resources in term of moderators. Looking at some of those oversea forums basically they have different moderators to take care different topics and they are all so ready to keep members in check. The moderators are also very knowledgeable and very active in engaging the members in their respective areas.

kindly email with
                2. your nick

Comment

have you thought about why yeoman blog after all these years still remain the same? there must be a reason. like i said before, managing a blog and forum is different. in an idealistic world, porting content seems easy to do. managing it is different. that is why another member posted that moderators are engaging. the fact still remains getting such quality moderators in singapore is a tough job.

No I am not comparing blog to forum but just citing it as an example of doing well in one thing. As a matter of fact there are many watch blogs around, so the fact that Yeoman's stands out is relevant to the subject.

Imagine if you put the Yeoman's into a seiko forum, wouldn't it make the content of the forum more solid and attractive? If one-to-many would work, why not many-to-many?

My ideas may not be the best, so I am hoping others can contribute.

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

Comment

Maybe you need to find retirees to be moderators
                    yes, the topic of moderators being knowledgeable and keeping members in check are very hard to come by especially in the local scene. this is the very limitation that i have been trying to address over the years managing this forum. i have tried to get some of the members who have worked as moderators before. sadly, these moderators also feel the strain of managing a forum.

Comment

also we need to be objective here as well. you are mentioning about overseas forums. this would not be fair to compare say apples from china against apples from new zealand.

culture is a different as well. as such, i can tell you from the bottom of my heart that i truly appreciate this forum moderators taking time out of their work schedule, family schedule to help out in this forum.

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

Comment

also we need to be objective here as well. you are mentioning about overseas forums. this would not be fair to compare say apples from china against apples from new zealand.

culture is a different as well. as such, i can tell you from the bottom of my heart that i truly appreciate this forum moderators taking time out of their work schedule, family schedule to help out in this forum.
                        I wouldn't say it's unfair to compare. Compare is good for the sake of seeking improvement. Why do we have to be less superior than the guys overseas? I hope you are not suggesting that this is another area where foreign talents are needed

I do appreciate a lot the moderators here as well as in other forums. I believe it's the same with WL and other members. Maybe we shouldn't make this a "how to improve sg rolex club" discussion.

Comment

Yes, I agreed and like you i am very appreciative of you and your team commitment to the task. Keep up the good works!
                          What I stated is just some good examples and I can understand that there are different in the term of years establish. It is going through a learning curve and i'm just seeing if can shorten this curve. No mean to be disrespectful to the team.

Comment

There is nothing wrong to compare. What we have to compare is apple from say Washington and new jersey. This is because culture is different. Different forum setup for different reasons.

I wouldn't say it's unfair to compare. Compare is good for the sake of seeking improvement. Why do we have to be less superior than the guys overseas? I hope you are not suggesting that this is another area where foreign talents are needed

I do appreciate a lot the moderators here as well as in other forums. I believe it's the same with WL and other members. Maybe we shouldn't make this a "how to improve sg rolex club" discussion.

kindly email with
                            2. your nick

Comment

Years of establishment plays a role but it is the culture.

Yes, I agreed and like you i am very appreciative of you and your team commitment to the task. Keep up the good works!
                              What I stated is just some good examples and I can understand that there are different in the term of years establish. It is going through a learning curve and i'm just seeing if can shorten this curve. No mean to be disrespectful to the team.

kindly email with
                              2. your nick

Comment

There is nothing wrong to compare. What we have to compare is apple from say Washington and new jersey. This is because culture is different. Different forum setup for different reasons.
                                I acknowledge your last point. Maybe I wrongly assumed that every watch forums share a few common objectives.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X