Citizens and PRs debate primary 1 registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizens and PRs debate primary 1 registration

"Why are Phase 2C children given an equal chance in Primary 1 registration?"

MR EDUARD TAY: "My child was unsuccessful in balloting for a place in a neighbourhood school, less than 2km from our home. His chances were poor, having to vie with children registered under Phase 1A, 2A1, 2A2, 2B and first-generation permanent residents' (PRs) children under Phase 2C.

I did national service (NS) and so will my son, while first-generation PRs can choose not to do NS when they reach 18 by returning to their own country.

Why are these Phase 2C children given an equal chance in Primary 1 registration at the expense of Singaporeans like my son? While I understand the need to attract foreigners, I hope the Government will not do so at the expense of citizens and give us priority in balloting or in the registration phases, rather than make us compete for places in a neighbourhood school."

"We too have a right to give our children the best education."

MRS SWETA AGARWAL: "This is in response to yesterday's letter by Mr Eduard Tay, "Permanent residents - Why are these Phase 2C children given an equal chance in Primary 1 registration?"

I understand Mr Tay's disappointment that his son did not get a place in his school of choice. As a permanent resident for about six years now with my husband working here, I feel we too have a right to give our children the best education.

Just because we are not citizens does not mean we deserve less. We pay taxes and abide by Singapore's laws and if our children cannot get places in good schools, why would we stay?

Our daughter has a place in our choice of school and we are very happy. I hope I have not offended Mr Tay and I wish him all the best so his son can secure a place in a good school too."

"Not all schools are equal and parents just want the best for their children."

MR TONY LIM: "I refer to yesterday's letter by Mr Eduard Tay. A permanent resident (PR) child was guaranteed a place in the school of our choice because his parents did not have to face balloting as they had bought an apartment within 1km of the school.

We live between 1km and 2km from the school and our child lost out on the balloting. Not all schools are equal and parents just want the best for their children. Many PRs place their children in government-funded schools and not in expensive international schools.

I have given my fair share to Singapore, so did my father, and so too, hopefully, will my son. It is convenient for an eligible foreigner to obtain permanent residence and, as my case illustrates, reap what citizens like me sowed."

"Mrs Agarwal has the option of returning to her country to find a good school for her daughter. Mr Tay's child does not. Should any government not take care of its citizens first?"

MR JIMMY LOKE: "To Mrs Sweta Agarwal who argued that permanent residents (PRs) like her family have an equal right to give their children the best education here, I pose this question: If she has been a PR for a lengthy six years, why has she not taken up citizenship?

She further implied that it was pointless staying here if her daughter could not get into a good school. Therein lies the difference between PRs like her family and Singaporeans like Mr Eduard Tay, whose letter prompted her response.

Mr Tay asked why the children of PRs should have the same chance of a Primary 1 place in their preferred school.

Mrs Agarwal has the option of returning to her country to find a good school for her daughter. Mr Tay's child does not enjoy that luxury.

As a Singaporean, Mr Tay served national service for 21/2 years and spent 13 more years as a reservist. Should any government not take care of its citizens first?

I do not think Mr Tay and I are asking too much. I do not mean to offend Mrs Agarwal by making this point and I hope she and her family will join us as citizens in the near future."

For more The Straits Times stories, click here.

.... funny .. it seemed not long ago when I thought we were wondering why Singaporeans are not willing to have children. HELLO??? Are they dumb or just numb in the brain??? Isnt it OBVIOUS why Singaporeans do not want to have children? Its so stressful already living in Singapore, having to pay for a HDB that costs 10 times more then 30 years ago, but our salary is NOT 10 times what it was 30 years ago ... (salary for a non-PSLE was about $900 per month, and HDB was about $30K for 5 rm flat ... 30 years back)

So.. I guess the "mystery" of why Singaporeans do not wish to have children, is solved.

Its just to stressful enough to make ends meet... so why have another reason to be stressed up...
    Posted by: whosaiddat at Wed Aug 19 23:02:54 SGT 2009

I think WE the origin Citizen of this Country has been downgraded to 'PRs' instead!!

In my opinion, Why our garment must ballot everything?? Study also need ballot, think in the whole world only this red dot got such rule!! So in my opinion, Why not make it simply, first phase all give to WE the Citizen of Spore since we, the FATHER, have to serve NS for 10-13 years or more depending.

If not in a nutshell, its 'MONEY TALKS BULL S H I T S WALKS'!!
    Posted by: feng shui at Wed Aug 19 22:55:07 SGT 2009

How we can survive last decade without PRs/FTs before n after PAP govrnmt ? We are people of brain talents in this country w/out resources n yet we gone thru without sweat until today for you n our children.We can welcome foreigners coming to our soil not for enjoyment but with equal hard working but remember priority reserves for locals (see my thread on Vietnam).We don't see conflict of interests today
    Look at Japan people of brain talents,they can survive w/out PRs/FTs
    Their policy is not new,they do not encourage foriegn immgrts which they can see will affect their people's livelihood but orderly maintain a std salaries for the people.The Jpnese hv change from high quality,unique pack n high price to nice pack, good n acceptable price cheap from Asean countries
    Do we hear Jpnese complain or quitters ? MM Lee see aging .....
    Posted by: Ooi Hong Leong loses S$1b at Wed Aug 19 22:52:47 SGT 2009

To read more please click here...
    http://www.asiaone.com/News/Educatio...19-161950.html

I know how you feel... my girl went thru balloting even we are staying <1km....luckily she got in... this year pri 1 registration is a bit crazy... I was stressed too...

Comment

Its really nerves wacking. This issues had been bought up many times throught out years at this moment of time without any resoultions for the MOE. It's time for the MOE to step out of their shell and given all Singaporeans parents a satisfactory reply.

Comment

Frogmen, I guess you're a parent too...

Comment

You are right bro, I went thru the Pri 1 registration last year but unfortunately didnt secured a place from the balloting even though i am within the <1km.

Comment

i abit more heng, my daughter now p2...

her p1 reg. whn come to 2c, still got 30+ seat for 1-2km. and only 16 applicant nia...so no need ballot... hee

its really stress out lah for parents, grandpa ( my dad, whn he was still healthy also join in the stress )... .. really a whole family stress.

tht same yr, i faster go join old boys ... get ready to get my boy into earlier phrase. hahahahhaa

as for PR/ citizen thing, i am ok with equal chance. .. but on the whole, tis p1 reg sys sucks ... hahahahhaha

Comment

My son didn't got a place in our 1st choice primary school ,3 years ago , we stay within 1km range , 200+ seats but got 2000+ kids , i think at least 20% are PRs .Maybe it also becos my son born in the millennium year .
              Focal JM_Labs .
              "The Sprits Of Sounds".

Rolex WG Daytona D series Silver dial 116509
              Rolex RG DD II with pink diamond dial V Series 218235
              Rolex YG President DD with Diamond and Ruby 18038
              Rolex Explorer I Black D series 114270
              Rolex DJ TT Grey Dial 16233
              Rolex Precision 6694 Black Dial
              Rolex Precision 6694 Silver Dial
              Rolex Oyster Perpetual Z series black dial 176200
              Panerai 233K 8 days power reserve
              Cartier Santos 100XL
              Hublot Big Bang Edition 44mm

Comment

Personally, I feel that the local pri 1 registration system is quite ok.

Ok because there is no system that is perfect. There are of course some popular schools and there are some not so popular schools. MOE cannnot change all school names to Raffles. Even if they do so, there will be "Good Raffles" and "Bad Raffles" schools after all....

There are limited resources in each school therefore there is a limited space avail each year. There are many phrases for diff groups of ppl and now we have "parent volunteers phrase" for ppl who wish to try earlier. At least our system is ballot when there is not enough space avail. In countries like Hong Kong and Japan, good schools interview students and parents. Sometimes they give "entrance tests" to kids as well. Luckily this doesn't happen in singapore....

Comment

IMO, this "1km thingy" sucks big time ! Because simply, the structure of each estate differs. Example, Child A lives at a hdb block just next to the school (a stone's throw away distance). Child B lives 8-10 blocks away (but still w/in 1km). And due to lack of vacancy, both are subjected to ballot. Fair?

B has a choice of another school just 2 blocks away but insist to vie with many others for the further-away school. After ballot, B got it while A didn't. Now, A has to travel a longer distance by bus/mrt/lrt to a school that is 10 blocks away when there's one just next to his/her door-step. Make sense or not?!

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Child B is entering Nanyang pri school. Child A is entering Oceanlassik pri school. Ha ha.... joking only.... but at least Child A and B do have a choice and a chance...

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                    IMO, this "1km thingy" sucks big time ! Because simply, the structure of each estate differs. Example, Child A lives at a hdb block just next to the school (a stone's throw away distance). Child B lives 8-10 blocks away (but still w/in 1km). And due to lack of vacancy, both are subjected to ballot. Fair?

B has a choice of another school just 2 blocks away but insist to vie with many others for the further-away school. After ballot, B got it while A didn't. Now, A has to travel a longer distance by bus/mrt/lrt to a school that is 10 blocks away when there's one just next to his/her door-step. Make sense or not?!

Comment

not dare to comment anythg coz i am PRs...
                      Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
                      Future - Geneva hallmark
                      Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

i tink i better go and join the old sch boys club....i suppose can help abit in the future....and time to plan to move near my old sch liao....must start to save up the pennies....hehehehe.....typical kiasu and kiasi 100% been thru NS true blood Singaporean here....dun mind doing free labour now to have less headaches in the future....now where to sign up for the club...hmmm....must go and ask the sch liao....
                        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by dennistwc View Post
                          not dare to comment anythg coz i am PRs...
                          hahahahaa...me no against pr... equal chance ok by me... hahahha

it's the jst they allocate too little for phrase 2c... eg. nanyang, mgs, rgps ...( use tis 3 sch, had experience while applying ) ... 8 - 30% ( depneding on yr ) outta total avail seat...

so with no 'relation' .. those in 2c is like lucky draw loh.

i think they should reduce those earlier phrase allocation... example, if u see those earlier phrase of say nanyang, majority of them in each phrase belong to the abv 2km ... ... only phrase 2c is the other way round... majority under 1km.........so even if u stay say at bukit timah just abv 1km away, yr chances is basically zero.... but applicant mom whos a old girl but stay in tampines... no problem sure get in

Comment

This one I agree with you...
                            There were 41 kids staying <1km applied for only 37 avail space and total intake was 210...so that's 17.6% ... but that's life... if not, it is not labelled as popular school....

Originally posted by pet View Post
                            hahahahaa...me no against pr... equal chance ok by me... hahahha

it's the jst they allocate too little for phrase 2c... eg. nanyang, mgs, rgps ...( use tis 3 sch, had experience while applying ) ... 8 - 30% ( depneding on yr ) outta total avail seat...
                            so with no 'relation' .. those in 2c is like lucky draw loh.

i think they should reduce those earlier phrase allocation... example, if u see those earlier phrase of say nanyang, majority of them in each phrase belong to the abv 2km ... ... only phrase 2c is the other way round... majority under 1km.........so even if u stay say at bukit timah just abv 1km away, yr chances is basically zero.... but applicant mom whos a old girl but stay in tampines... no problem sure get in

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                              This one I agree with you...
                              There were 41 kids staying <1km applied for only 37 avail space and total intake was 210...so that's 17.6% ... but that's life... if not, it is not labelled as popular school....
                              heng sway ah, i think some yr might see less thn 10% ... hahahha

me also from nanyang, but i didnt grad psle there... so they say no count ...

so LL got to apply at 2c. from past record . if u stay abv 1km, dont go apply at 2c, sure no chance 1.... i didnt, so i apply at rgs and got in.

i got to do some explaination to my daughtter... ( cos dun 1 to break children heart mah and disappoint her )...... cos she was frm nanyang kindergarden, abt 80% of her frd wnt in nanyang.... and i didnt get her in nanyang...

anyway... after a couple of wks no problem leow lah, now if u wnt to change her to nanyang, she also dont 1 lah.... she still keep contact with nanyang kinder frd, jst wnt to one ex-kinder frd's birthday party .

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X