Clear All

He is staying at Telok Kurau mah!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Comment

PUB looking into early flood warning to public
      By Mustafa Shafawi | Posted: 19 July 2010 1439 hrs

SINGAPORE: Since the flood on Orchard on June 16, national water agency, PUB, has been engaging the managing agents of affected premises as well as the Orchard Road Business Association to recommend early warning systems and structural measures to limit the impact of flash floods on premises.

Minister for the Environment and Water Resources, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim told Parliament on Monday that these measures include flood barriers and road humps to protect basement car parks.

Building owners and managing committees have also been encouraged to improve their communication and evacuation procedures as part of their emergency response plans for flood incidents.

In addition, Dr Yaacob said PUB has invited the businesses to participate in its SMS alert system so that they will be alerted of high water levels detected by sensors in Stamford Canal.

He said PUB will look into extending this flood alert system to the public.

PUB will also be making the data from its water level sensors available to the public on a website.

The existing network of 32 water level sensors will be expanded to 90 sensors by the end of the year and 150 next year.

He said PUB is also working with the Traffic Police to put up more signboards to warn motorists of flooded roads to avoid. - CNA/vm

Comment

The only problem to its fault is to look into the multi million dollar marina barrage, stop beating around the bush ....... demolish the damn iconic white elephant, before recommending the installingn of early warning systems and see if the flood still return.

Comment

Installing those alarms so that PUB can wake up those shop owners in the middle of the night to see how bad the damage has been done to their shops...

Putting up signs??? What a joke... you think those TPs can put up signs fast enough to warn motorists???? When there is a downpour and the road is jammed, common sense also tells you that the road ahead is flooded... what is the difference with or without signs??? Where can you go when the road is jammed???

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
          The only problem to its fault is to look into the multi million dollar marina barrage, stop beating around the bush ....... demolish the damn iconic white elephant, before recommending the installingn of early warning systems and see if the flood still return.

Comment

Debris 'worsened' flood, but didn't cause it: PUB

by Leong Wee Keat 05:55 AM Jul 20, 2010After blaming a blocked culvert along Stamford Canal for the flood at Orchard Road on June 16, national water agency PUB now says, after completing investigations, that the debris only "worsened" the flood but did not cause it.

Two bursts of rain 30 minutes apart had poured the equivalent of 1.5 Olympic-sized swimming pools of rainfall each minute into the middle section of the canal, between Delfi Orchard and Handy Road, which could only carry 1-1/3 Olympic-sized swimming pools each minute.

On Saturday, the canal overflowed again and "an urgent review" is underway.

But Member of Parliament Irene Ng (Tampines GRC) wondered if rapid urban development had reduced the island's ability to handle run-off from strong rainfall.

Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim said PUB would have to check that there is adequate drainage before any development can be approved: "We've not come across any incident that, because of an existing development, flooding is a result of that."

When Non-Constituency MP Sylvia Lim asked about the Marina Barrage's role in alleviating floods, Dr Yaacob said it had operated effectively to avert further flooding in downtown areas such as Chinatown during the three recent floods.

"In the case of Orchard Road, the canals are way upstream, and we may not have enough capacity to drain all the water as quickly as possible ... This has to be studied as a system and not just as a barrage, together with all the drains," he said.

Saying the authorities cannot "conclusively link these events to climate change", he told the House the Government will continue to study this "complex and evolving subject".

For now, a National Environment Agency study projects that by 2100, the average daily temperature could increase by between 2.7°C to 4.2°C; the mean sea level around Singapore could rise by 24 to 65 centimetres.

Ok, ok... we all know that the rain cause the flood, not debris, no PUB....

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
              Don't be surprised that cashcard readers are pre-installed on jetskis in sg....
              is my vehicle considered a car or motorbike?
              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
              Blue 6694
              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

It's the Barrage lah......you can't Bar the Rage of the thunderstorm leh lol!
                [IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/208if89.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/2ljjkgi.jpg[/IMG]
                [COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="3"]"I like my watches like I like women, BIG AND BEAUTIFUL."[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

does this mean the first time they did the investigation its just an any old how one, hoping that the issue will correct itself? Or they so incompetent that they need 2 to 3 times of investigation and re-investigation before they know whats happening?

Really a million dollar answer sia.
                  I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

" Building owners and managing committees have also been encouraged to improve their communication and evacuation procedures as part of their emergency response plans for flood incidents.

In addition, Dr Yaacob said PUB has invited the businesses to participate in its SMS alert system so that they will be alerted of high water levels detected by sensors in Stamford Canal.

He said PUB will look into extending this flood alert system to the public.

PUB will also be making the data from its water level sensors available to the public on a website."

Seemed to me that PUB is shifting responsibility to other entities to share the burden.

If they set up the alarm system, and it alerted the business/building owner that a flood is coming, and the business/building owner did not do or could not do anything, then who is responsible? So PUB hands off once they alerted the people? This is not right.

PUB build the drainage system. The drainage has a problem - not deep enough, not wider enough, not fast-flowing enough. They just have to fix it. Period.

How come suddenly their problem becomes other people's problem? Why don't they just admit their mistake and work on implementing a solution to address the actual problem - which is flooding, instead of doing all the wayang?

Comment

11650's story ... hahahhaa ... .. more info here... http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=42168&page=2

Yesterday my daughter got F for her Chinese exam... I was so shocked... I asked her why she never study, never revised??? Why??? Why??? Then today she told that her pen no ink during exam.... and then she told me her English got A...

ok loh... next time get an A for Chinese lah btw this time no ink only what... so don't be so upset lah.... cheers....
                      ..... i cont story... hahaha

....... next month ... my daughter came bck with another F for her chinese exam ... I was really really F shock... I asked her why she get F again ? Why Why Why ? no ink again ?? she told me this time she forget to bring pen .. for her exam ... but she told me she got A for literature....teacher praise her for her story telling.

ok loh...next time pls pls get A for chinese lah...btw this time no pen only what

Comment

MORE and MORE F.... I give up on my daughter already....

Originally posted by pet View Post
                        11650's story ... hahahhaa ... .. more info here... http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=42168&page=2

..... i cont story... hahaha

....... next month ... my daughter came bck with another F for her chinese exam ... I was really really F shock... I asked her why she get F again ? Why Why Why ? no ink again ?? she told me this time she forget to bring pen .. for her exam ... but she told me she got A for literature....teacher praise her for her story telling.

ok loh...next time pls pls get A for chinese lah...btw this time no pen only what

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Son View Post

He is staying at Telok Kurau mah!
                          He must be wondering why Mr Yakult's house not affected by the flood.

PS: Mr Yakult stays at Dunbar/Greenfield area. only 1 big canal separate the 2 private estates.
                          劳心者治人, 劳力者治于人。 治人者食人, 治与人者食与人。

善恶之报,如影随形。福祸无门,唯人自招!

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                            does this mean the first time they did the investigation its just an any old how one, hoping that the issue will correct itself? Or they so incompetent that they need 2 to 3 times of investigation and re-investigation before they know whats happening?

Really a million dollar answer sia.
                            The 1st investigation is to cover their ASSBrain incompetency.
                            2nd and 3rd time of reinvestigation is to tell us.....vote wisely!

Comment

Heavy rain this morning.... wondering anywhere flooded??

Comment

Heavy rain this morning.... wondering anywhere flooded??
                                MM quoted today, flood is unavoidable, its the act of god.... Singaporeans are expecting too much..... Well, which bosses wouldnt expect their "talented" employees to perform when they are very well paid (to peform) in this competitive corporate world?

I remembered Mr Malboro Tan metioned "There are no free meals in Singapore"

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X