No announcement yet.

nightmare renovation contractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks. they want to behave like thugs, let them be lor. we are civilized people

Originally posted by kenlinliu1419 View Post
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience Triton.

Never mind, put it down to bad experience. I prefer to use the same people I know even though it may cost a bit more. Better all round for piece of mind.

If they threaten you or your family again, you can always round up a number of us ROC members to all gather at their premises too! You have their address too you know.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

i'll tell him to bring his balls along to the address he knows and not do it over the phone.
      I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
      A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
      Audemars Piguet ROO
      Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
      De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
      Habring2 Pilot Time Date
      Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
      Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
      IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
      Panerai 270
      Patek Philippe 5711/1a
      Rolex 116610LV
      Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Actually it seems very common for renovation contractors to chut pattern, although sometimes customers also make life abit difficult for these contractors. But most of the times its the contractor that is giving problems.

I just renovated my new place early this year and lucky for me, I met a very chin chai contractor, his workmanship may not be the best but I had to keep calling or sms, eh boss when U wan to collect cheque huh? work started 2 weeks liao but u have taken any payment yet. I had to chase him to take my money hahaha.

But my fellow neighbours encountered contractors that looked very professional, talk very professional but when it came to doing the job, very bad, didnt follow to specification, 40% payment before they even started on the job, then do different things than was agreed earlier, lousy workmanship, etc. Then halfway say oh u wan this must top up money la, etc.

Made life very difficult for my fellow neighbours, so in the end they had a big quarrel then the contractor said no remaining 60% payment then he will stop work, etc. Police called in la, big hoo ha, in the end everything still got done but everyone was unhappy la, then workmanship and finishing also not up to par.

Moral of story is better to use a contractor U had used before or referred to U by someone trustworthy. It is not 100% foolproof but still its better than just trying your luck with someone U do not know in the first place.

Bro Triton, paiseh for my long post, so in the end, did everything get completed properly? If not U can complain to HDB, etc to make a black mark.
        Check out my Amateur Watch Blog @ http://parte-di-tempo.blogspot.sg/

tsetse the fly hard to make more $$$ so can buy more timepieces

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
          u check out the link in my first post.
          thanks, noted the company name and contractor name. lucky not the one my dad is signing with phew..

anyway, my last reno last year wasnt very smooth sailing too..haiz..sometimes I feel that contractors have become sales man. know how to talk and persuade but know little when it comes to work.
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Hope everything turns out well....hahaha...
            Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

some problems/disagreements arise can be due to

1) standards & workmanship. customer standard of workmanship and workers workmanship differ. it is how to meet. my wife feel the area where one of each of the four tiles meet. she say not even. want to complain. however, we got our regular contractor to look. he say so long as the centre lines of the tiles are straight it is ok. this is due to the production of tiles. not all tiles are produced with even flat surface. for this, it is understandable. so my wife say ok. let it go.

customers like my wife and me have very high level of standards and expectations. i have to admit that the floor tiles are done pretty good. centre line are all straight. room parquet are sand down and polish. good.

we decided to use this contractor as recommended by my friend. no fault of my friend. i do not blame my friend. the main reason was because this contractor offered different opinions for us to consider. my own regular contractor that i have used for 5 years wont give different opinions. but workmanship is considered excellent by my standard. dont need to worry. i dont need to visit house renovation but with new one, i go daily. even the contractor also dont go daily to see/inspect cause i scared. this contractor also approved by HDB. have 3 offices. so i told myself initially that how bad can they be. not those fly by night. but i was still wrong. next time i will use my own contractor who has served me faithfully.

complain will leave a black mark. very easy for them to turn over new leaf. change company name, change registration business owners. use same work management also back to HDB list.

that is why i use their names and contact numbers (last 4 digit) to warn. i dont think you will change personal name and contact numbers especially when the contractor's number is quite nice one. (last four digit has combination of 3 8s) match car plate.

Originally posted by tsetse View Post
              although sometimes customers also make life abit difficult for these contractors.

Moral of story is better to use a contractor U had used before or referred to U by someone trustworthy. It is not 100% foolproof but still its better than just trying your luck with someone U do not know in the first place.

Bro Triton, paiseh for my long post, so in the end, did everything get completed properly? If not U can complain to HDB, etc to make a black mark.
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
              2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

this contractor wears AP, Panerai, Rolex leh. power right?

Originally posted by tsetse View Post

But my fellow neighbours encountered contractors that looked very professional, talk very professional but when it came to doing the job,

kindly email with
                2. your nick

Comment

some problems/disagreements arise can be due to

1) standards & workmanship. customer standard of workmanship and workers workmanship differ. it is how to meet. my wife feel the area where one of each of the four tiles meet. she say not even. want to complain. however, we got our regular contractor to look. he say so long as the centre lines of the tiles are straight it is ok. this is due to the production of tiles. not all tiles are produced with even flat surface. for this, it is understandable. so my wife say ok. let it go.

customers like my wife and me have very high level of standards and expectations. i have to admit that the floor tiles are done pretty good. centre line are all straight. room parquet are sand down and polish. good.

we decided to use this contractor as recommended by my friend. no fault of my friend. i do not blame my friend. the main reason was because this contractor offered different opinions for us to consider. my own regular contractor that i have used for 5 years wont give different opinions. but workmanship is considered excellent by my standard. dont need to worry. i dont need to visit house renovation but with new one, i go daily. even the contractor also dont go daily to see/inspect cause i scared. this contractor also approved by HDB. have 3 offices. so i told myself initially that how bad can they be. not those fly by night. but i was still wrong. next time i will use my own contractor who has served me faithfully.

complain will leave a black mark. very easy for them to turn over new leaf. change company name, change registration business owners. use same work management also back to HDB list.

that is why i use their names and contact numbers (last 4 digit) to warn. i dont think you will change personal name and contact numbers especially when the contractor's number is quite nice one. (last four digit has combination of 3 8s) match car plate.
                  Oic, yeah I do agree that they can easily change company name, etc. As a consumer, we have to have certain requirements and standard of work also. We are paying not a small sum of money for renovation, therefore its only right we have certain expectations.

Comment

this contractor wears AP, Panerai, Rolex leh. power right?
                    haha I also dunno lei, that time I still have not come back to liking watches yet so I nv go see properly also.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

but from my view , u shdnt believe the promises from contractor without a black n white. i worked in construction line so i know how tricky the contractor is.

hope everythg turn out well.

p/s : i work in contract and commercial department do PM me if u need any assistance
                      Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
                      Future - Geneva hallmark
                      Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

maybe i work with only 2 reliable contractors and they delivered as promised. as they always say, the working world is a learning playground

Originally posted by dennistwc View Post
                        but from my view , u shdnt believe the promises from contractor without a black n white. i worked in construction line so i know how tricky the contractor is.

hope everythg turn out well.

p/s : i work in contract and commercial department do PM me if u need any assistance

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                          i'll tell him to bring his balls along to the address he knows and not do it over the phone.
                          then you will also put a few parang and weapon waiting for him too? let him see whos the tougher one.
                          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                          Blue 6694
                          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

amitabha
                            走在人挤人的走道 我问了自已
                            没有爱情的人是否会长命
                            坐在没有人的角落 我又问自已
                            究竟应该继续 还是该放弃
                            没有人能了解我 现在的心情
                            想看你 想躲你 难以决定

Comment

bro,

i had similar bad experience wh i did reno abt 3 yrs ago...

engaged my ID cos liked their showcases in design mags, thot pay abit more nmind - in exchange for peace of mind so we can focus on career n wedding preps... how wrong we were...

cut the story short. an initial estimate of 4 mths eventually dragged to 12 mths... parties involved included debtcollectors (sent by them to harrass us), policemen, CASE, partner at a distinguished law firm (we engaged them)...

morale of da story - they know how to play the GAME, how much they can stretch u and push u... sometimes just gotta accept there're ppl w no integrity watsoever who'll resort to despicable options for abit of moolah...

my opinion of ppl in the industry has changed for the worst since...

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                ...my opinion of ppl in the industry has changed for the worst since...
                                and trust me; it aint limited to just the sunny island of singapore. even in oz, there are nightmare contractors and builders. the stories first hand; i tell you, i can probably publish a paperback. a show of hands who wants me to spill the beans on what ive seen
                                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                                Blue 6694
                                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X