Why MWTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why MWTS?

I have been wondering why people put up their watches/items as MWTS (might want to sell). The only logical reason I can think of is that the seller want to "test water" and see if there is any interest on their watch with the stated asking price. So let's say if the response is over-whelming, then the seller might decide not to sell (since it is MWTS), withdraw the sale and then relist it at a higher price two months later (to adhere to forum rules). To me this is another form of auction and is potentially time-wasting for serious buyers who is willing to meet the asking price, so why is this MWTS allowed at all?

Or, if the seller is not even sure whether to sell the watch or not, isn't that potentially a time-waster too for serious buyers? Have anyone come across any retail shop that put up item as MTWS? Just don't make sense to me...

Anyone cares to share their opinion?
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

I agree with you that there is a possibility of test water. that is why there is a 2 month cooling period. this was design to prevent potential seller from pushin up price.

one scenario. I get my regular gray to source for a watch in Europe currently no stock. wait for 2 weeks. as I need to sell current watch to fund new purchase. so I post mwts, 2 week later still no stock so I withdraw
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
      I agree with you that there is a possibility of test water. that is why there is a 2 month cooling period. this was design to prevent potential seller from pushin up price.

one scenario. I get my regular gray to source for a watch in Europe currently no stock. wait for 2 weeks. as I need to sell current watch to fund new purchase. so I post mwts, 2 week later still no stock so I withdraw
      Hmm...your scenario like contra leh. Whether that should be encouraged is another discussion or up to you guys as mod, but in most if not all the MWTS posts that I saw, the watches are preowned leh.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post

On 2nd read I think I misunderstood your reply. I thought you were talking about selling the new watch that one is sourcing but yet to get it.

However I maintain my view that MWTS is not a serious sale and hence should not be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
          I have been wondering why people put up their watches/items as MWTS (might want to sell). The only logical reason I can think of is that the seller want to "test water" and see if there is any interest on their watch with the stated asking price. So let's say if the response is over-whelming, then the seller might decide not to sell (since it is MWTS), withdraw the sale and then relist it at a higher price two months later (to adhere to forum rules). To me this is another form of auction and is potentially time-wasting for serious buyers who is willing to meet the asking price, so why is this MWTS allowed at all?

Or, if the seller is not even sure whether to sell the watch or not, isn't that potentially a time-waster too for serious buyers? Have anyone come across any retail shop that put up item as MTWS? Just don't make sense to me...

I don deny what you posted above. However, on the other hand, there could really be those that are undecisive on whether to sell or not due to certain scenarios as what Triton pointed out (need cash urgently, and later no need liao cos strike toto).

Anyway, so let's say we eradicate MWTS, make it illegal to use here. Then we have another scenario as per below:

i.e.
          Assuming I put a WTS thread. There is overwhelming respoinse and so I say, seller remorse and decide to withdraw.

2 weeks later, i put another WTS thread with a higher price.

Do we also ban such people? So eventually, what is the line we need to draw to handle such scenarios?

The point is, even if we erradicate MWTS, it does not solve the foundamental problem. Hence, the header is really more for 'show' in a certain way. the mentality is still more with the seller.

Bottomline is, we cant force any seller to sell just cause you met their selling conditions. What you can do is probably blacklist them, which to me is also a waste of time.
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Pegasi bro, just ignore those threads.

Comment

Bro exxondus, I understand and accept seller remorse (but may still blacklist such seller if I am the buyer :P) I also agree that there are other reasons that make seller back out of a deal, like the one that triton mentioned.

But to list the item as MWTS is different, to me I think there is already an intention from the beginning not to sell the watch under certain condition. So maybe it is only fair to the sellers that all MWTS posts indicate under what condition/situation will the seller not go ahead with the deal?

For one, I will be very hesitate to respond to a MWTS post...unless I am really desperate

Comment

to me, MWTS and WTS makes no difference. At the end of the day, buyers are at the mercy of the sellers. Potential sellers (MWTS or WTS) can always post their item up at the garage, even if their asking price is met, decision still lies with them at end of day.

Comment

For me i usually think for a long time before puting my watches for sale as i do not like to waste time and efforts...nowadays alot of buyers like to see professional type of pictures before commiting...Hence if i decide to let go of my watches i sell...unless due to poor respones or something in the same vein, i will withdraw out lor....
                  Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by k83 View Post
                    to me, MWTS and WTS makes no difference. At the end of the day, buyers are at the mercy of the sellers. Potential sellers (MWTS or WTS) can always post their item up at the garage, even if their asking price is met, decision still lies with them at end of day.
                    Agree, but the difference is, if WTS and seller back out last minute, the buyer can give a bad feedback (and rightly so if he feels his precious time/effort was wasted). But if MWTS and last minute seller says I dun want to sell already, buyer L L.

Comment

Speaking from personal experience...I think seller is facing a dilema whether or not to sell and at the same time seller's remorse. Although, I have never post any MWTS, i understand the pain some sellers are going thru, that is to part with their beloved watch.
                      1 3 5
                      ├┼┼╕
                      2 4 6 R

Comment

true...sometimes it is quite difficult to decide whether to sell or not sell...but have to make a choice lar....sell the watch for new poison...hehehe....mostly this is life lar..at least for me...or else where got so much $$$ to buy new poisons....

Life is short...enjoy every moment....
                        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I am totally against people who post MWTS! What kind of rubbish is he trying to post in the 1st place? He states a price & if someone meet it? So is he gonna sell or wanna increase the selling price? I would never wanna buy anything from someone that put MWTS in his post, perhaps I will put MWTB!
                          I rather push my Alfa Romeo than drive a BMW

Alfa 1.5 Sprint
                          Alfa 33
                          Alfa 147
                          Alfa GT
                          Alfa Spider 3.2 V6- now
                          Alfa 4C- maybe next time

Comment

if seller back out last min, then he deserve the negative rating, but if seller did not promise to close the deal, thn buyer really LL suck thumb! , cant do much....

Agree, but the difference is, if WTS and seller back out last minute, the buyer can give a bad feedback (and rightly so if he feels his precious time/effort was wasted). But if MWTS and last minute seller says I dun want to sell already, buyer L L.

Comment

Pl allow me to contribute.

I tend to sway towards, "to each his/her own". There are many valid reasons why people want to put "MWTS". Triton had mentioned one, exxondus too. Sometimes, it is just inevitable that one will need/want to sell a watch or two, but at the same time, can't make a decision. Ponder this:

Who is in a (more) losing position, if a watch deal did not go through? The one who still holds the cash (buyer), or the one with the watch and needs the cash (seller)?

If we all here are equally rich, as rich as the richer ones, then seriously, no one needs to hesitate in selling and buying. So personally, though I do not favour "MWTS", I do not despise.

Tx for reading .
                              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X