X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred_Tan
    replied
    Most ladies dun like pre-owned watches

I personally think ladies can live with pre-owned handbags but I seldom see them going after pre-owned watches.

These days there are more ladies in AD than men worldwide, I'm not kidding here. Most of em are buying w their own cash $!

Ladies nowadays have high education, better jobs & social standing and look for new watches from AD.

They oso tend not to buy from flippers, grey-traders & non official dealers.
    I think ladies prefer e experience of being properly attended by retail outlets.

The onlie exception is handbags where some ladies who cannot wait due to long waitlist that can even be longer than any watches or when e stock is very limited or when it's very rare / popular will go for grey traders / flippers.

I see this not only in SG but in USA, Euro, Japan, Taiwan, Korea & China as well.

I am studying handbags nowadays in Taiwan, Korea & Japan.
    I think we can make $ investing is rare, highly collectible good bags...

Leave a comment:

• wees
    replied
    +1

Generally agree here. For example, if you wanted a brass Resonance or DRSD, it'll be verging on the impossible to find one new at an AD.

Originally posted by wongcheok View Post
    Haven't owned a BNIB since my fashionistic fossil watch back when I was nineteen or so! Anyway, I think its difficult to abide by a blanket "BNIB at all cost" principle; neither is it tenable to go pre-owned all the way. Like life, one must build in some flexibility since there's many considerations that one would have to factor in. E.g.

- Availability of watch. Some great watches have limited runs, so bo pian get pre-owned if you want to chup in

- Whether you're a vintage lover. No need to explain, this. Best you can hit is NOS or safe queen watch, either of which destroys bank accounts

- Robustness of aftermarket. As bro triton has mentioned, watches that don't hold their value in aftermarket, I'll definitely avoid BNIB... unless the watch is really swee and I don't intend to resell. In that case, I may be willing to pay a few hundred more for that brief moment of euphoria

Just my 2 cents

Leave a comment:

• Oceanklassik
    replied
    Originally posted by Rolax View Post
    I used to have my reservations but after looking at several pre-owned watched that were sold at marked down prices, I gave it more thought and actually concluded that buying pre-owned ones make sense.
    Just to share, I recently got a 2nd hand AP Royal Oak at the price of a brand new Milgauss...that is less than half of what u'll pay for a brand new one from an AD...
    Sometimes when I wear it, I even forget its "history"...after all, it looks brand new and pretty after servicing.....
    If you are disturbed about the history of the watch, u can always buy from the forum members...I'm sure they are more trustworthy and you can skip the mark-up from 2nd hand dealers.....Most importantly, you know they don't come from the wrist of a decomposed body...ha!
    "Most importantly, you know they don't come from the wrist of a decomposed body...ha!"

Sure?

Originally posted by commoner View Post
    I am not rich at all, but I like watches like everyone els here.

I am old fashion and buy for keeps, or giveaways. To trade, that would be alien to my parents and me. To each his own.

Its like if I have 20k, will I buy 2 pre-owned or just 1 new. Choices we make everyday not just watches. I will buy the Brand new 1.

I like my things new, and even when it becomes ancient, it was new when I 1st have it.

this is a forum that not only talk about watches but trading is a great part of the culture here.

So was wondering whoelse here is a stickler like me who will try to buy BNIB from AD as much as I can, even if it takes double the time to save up. Those who deep pockets, well that a different kettle of fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    me ?

Leave a comment:

• commoner
    replied
    I am not rich at all, but I like watches like everyone els here.

I am old fashion and buy for keeps, or giveaways. To trade, that would be alien to my parents and me. To each his own.

Its like if I have 20k, will I buy 2 pre-owned or just 1 new. Choices we make everyday not just watches. I will buy the Brand new 1.

I like my things new, and even when it becomes ancient, it was new when I 1st have it.

this is a forum that not only talk about watches but trading is a great part of the culture here.

So was wondering whoelse here is a stickler like me who will try to buy BNIB from AD as much as I can, even if it takes double the time to save up. Those who deep pockets, well that a different kettle of fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Leave a comment:

• breitling77
    replied
    Whether brand new or pre-owned, most importantly, the watch has to be in good condition and so worth its value. Buying brand new means that you have the full assurance that the watch is real and you are the 1st owner. However, buying pre-owned is not bad either, if the watch is in good or very good working condition, and you do save some as it's usually cheaper than current retail value. As long as verification is done on the pre-owned watches, or you really "trust" the seller (be it 2nd hand dealer or normal people), the pre-owned watch should be a good buy.

What fears most is there are many fake watches that do look and feel like real ones. If you do pay alot for such fakes, then it's disasterous. Thus always ask for papers or certificates if getting a pre-owned timepiece, despite hearing that papers or certificates could be fakes too.

IMO, a luxury timepiece is already beyond its objective of telling time and date. It's an art, masterpiece or treasure which you will cherish now and future. It could also be a good investment but it needs to take a long long long time. In any case, life is short, do something which you like, as long as within your means. Sometimes, such intangible benefits are beyond what money can get.

Hope that helps, my 2 cents worth of message. :-)

Leave a comment:

• exxondus
    replied
    Originally posted by Rolax View Post
    .....Most importantly, you know they don't come from the wrist of a decomposed body...ha!
    would a seller actually tell you this piece of information? just wondering aloud thats all.

Leave a comment:

• Rolax
    replied
    I used to have my reservations but after looking at several pre-owned watched that were sold at marked down prices, I gave it more thought and actually concluded that buying pre-owned ones make sense.
    Just to share, I recently got a 2nd hand AP Royal Oak at the price of a brand new Milgauss...that is less than half of what u'll pay for a brand new one from an AD...
    Sometimes when I wear it, I even forget its "history"...after all, it looks brand new and pretty after servicing.....
    If you are disturbed about the history of the watch, u can always buy from the forum members...I'm sure they are more trustworthy and you can skip the mark-up from 2nd hand dealers.....Most importantly, you know they don't come from the wrist of a decomposed body...ha!

Leave a comment:

• Chunster69
    replied
    I personally prefer BNIB since I don't buy many (no money leh), I like to enjoy the process of shopping for it and getting it from a shop.

I will consider pre-owned only if it is discontinued but in a good condition or the serial number is very swee

Leave a comment:

• wongcheok
    replied
    Haven't owned a BNIB since my fashionistic fossil watch back when I was nineteen or so! Anyway, I think its difficult to abide by a blanket "BNIB at all cost" principle; neither is it tenable to go pre-owned all the way. Like life, one must build in some flexibility since there's many considerations that one would have to factor in. E.g.

- Availability of watch. Some great watches have limited runs, so bo pian get pre-owned if you want to chup in

- Whether you're a vintage lover. No need to explain, this. Best you can hit is NOS or safe queen watch, either of which destroys bank accounts

- Robustness of aftermarket. As bro triton has mentioned, watches that don't hold their value in aftermarket, I'll definitely avoid BNIB... unless the watch is really swee and I don't intend to resell. In that case, I may be willing to pay a few hundred more for that brief moment of euphoria

Just my 2 cents

Leave a comment:

• feilong108
    replied
    hehehe...i tink as the saying goes....Each to his/her own....comfortable then buy...

Leave a comment:

• Oceanklassik
    replied
    My point is not about auctions. It's about some people's concerns over getting pre-own watches, are not unfounded. It doesn't matter if the watch is bought from an auction. Won't the buyer later sell it elsewhere, like to shops and even online ?!

Leave a comment:

• toffeesthings
    replied
    [QUOTE=Oceanklassik;328652]I can't really give the details but I happened to be at the place where the body was discovered. There was a ROLEX watch on the wrist but I can't recall which classic model exactly. Looked quite bling. It was a Police case so the Police took possession of the watch and since no one came to claim it, it was auctioned off. I wonder who might be the 'lucky' buyer.

Yikes! That's one reason to refrain from auctions.
    That said, I recall that Dr. Bernard Cheong once commented, "Buy new, buy used but always buy you."

Leave a comment:

• k83
    replied
    its actually my galfrd's husband, whether he was someone ex i dunno, haha

Leave a comment:

• wolfeyes1974
    replied
    Originally posted by k83 View Post
    i do have a friend whos rather superstitous and will never buy any pre own watch, as he has the mentality that people only sell their watch fr bad reasons, thus he afraid he will inherit bad luck from pre own watches
    so your friend's galfriend is brand new and not someone's ex? haahaa...kidding...

Leave a comment:

• Oceanklassik
    replied
    Originally posted by exxondus View Post
    wah serious ah!! i don mind spending an hour to read if you are willing to type out this story sia...sounds horrible to do that to a deceased, assuming don have permission
    I can't really give the details but I happened to be at the place where the body was discovered. There was a ROLEX watch on the wrist but I can't recall which classic model exactly. Looked quite bling. It was a Police case so the Police took possession of the watch and since no one came to claim it, it was auctioned off. I wonder who might be the 'lucky' buyer.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
    Unless you are buying from people you know very well, as it is not uncommon that the seller pretend to be the first owner when he is maybe the 5th owner, because there is a common perception that lesser owners mean watch is better taken care of.

That is speaking from experience - I just bought a preowned watch last week from a bro in this forum who claim he is the first owner, but I later found out that he bought it a month ago from another seller in the same forum - not a problem for me 'cos what matters is the condition of the watch, but just don't understand why want to bluff lor.
    That's why I say to buy from someone I know, which means, someone I can trust. If he tells me he is the first and only owner, I believe he is.

Originally posted by k83 View Post
    i believe thats the general perception la, 1st owner = lesser abuse = better condition
    And that is not wrong.

Leave a comment:

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
Working...
X