No announcement yet.

Brand new or pre-owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't owned a BNIB since my fashionistic fossil watch back when I was nineteen or so! Anyway, I think its difficult to abide by a blanket "BNIB at all cost" principle; neither is it tenable to go pre-owned all the way. Like life, one must build in some flexibility since there's many considerations that one would have to factor in. E.g.

- Availability of watch. Some great watches have limited runs, so bo pian get pre-owned if you want to chup in

- Whether you're a vintage lover. No need to explain, this. Best you can hit is NOS or safe queen watch, either of which destroys bank accounts

- Robustness of aftermarket. As bro triton has mentioned, watches that don't hold their value in aftermarket, I'll definitely avoid BNIB... unless the watch is really swee and I don't intend to resell. In that case, I may be willing to pay a few hundred more for that brief moment of euphoria

Just my 2 cents

Comment

I personally prefer BNIB since I don't buy many (no money leh), I like to enjoy the process of shopping for it and getting it from a shop.

I will consider pre-owned only if it is discontinued but in a good condition or the serial number is very swee

Comment

I used to have my reservations but after looking at several pre-owned watched that were sold at marked down prices, I gave it more thought and actually concluded that buying pre-owned ones make sense.
        Just to share, I recently got a 2nd hand AP Royal Oak at the price of a brand new Milgauss...that is less than half of what u'll pay for a brand new one from an AD...
        Sometimes when I wear it, I even forget its "history"...after all, it looks brand new and pretty after servicing.....
        If you are disturbed about the history of the watch, u can always buy from the forum members...I'm sure they are more trustworthy and you can skip the mark-up from 2nd hand dealers.....Most importantly, you know they don't come from the wrist of a decomposed body...ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Rolax View Post
          .....Most importantly, you know they don't come from the wrist of a decomposed body...ha!
          would a seller actually tell you this piece of information? just wondering aloud thats all.
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Whether brand new or pre-owned, most importantly, the watch has to be in good condition and so worth its value. Buying brand new means that you have the full assurance that the watch is real and you are the 1st owner. However, buying pre-owned is not bad either, if the watch is in good or very good working condition, and you do save some as it's usually cheaper than current retail value. As long as verification is done on the pre-owned watches, or you really "trust" the seller (be it 2nd hand dealer or normal people), the pre-owned watch should be a good buy.

What fears most is there are many fake watches that do look and feel like real ones. If you do pay alot for such fakes, then it's disasterous. Thus always ask for papers or certificates if getting a pre-owned timepiece, despite hearing that papers or certificates could be fakes too.

IMO, a luxury timepiece is already beyond its objective of telling time and date. It's an art, masterpiece or treasure which you will cherish now and future. It could also be a good investment but it needs to take a long long long time. In any case, life is short, do something which you like, as long as within your means. Sometimes, such intangible benefits are beyond what money can get.

Hope that helps, my 2 cents worth of message. :-)

Comment

I am not rich at all, but I like watches like everyone els here.

I am old fashion and buy for keeps, or giveaways. To trade, that would be alien to my parents and me. To each his own.

Its like if I have 20k, will I buy 2 pre-owned or just 1 new. Choices we make everyday not just watches. I will buy the Brand new 1.

I like my things new, and even when it becomes ancient, it was new when I 1st have it.

this is a forum that not only talk about watches but trading is a great part of the culture here.

So was wondering whoelse here is a stickler like me who will try to buy BNIB from AD as much as I can, even if it takes double the time to save up. Those who deep pockets, well that a different kettle of fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Rolax View Post
                I used to have my reservations but after looking at several pre-owned watched that were sold at marked down prices, I gave it more thought and actually concluded that buying pre-owned ones make sense.
                Just to share, I recently got a 2nd hand AP Royal Oak at the price of a brand new Milgauss...that is less than half of what u'll pay for a brand new one from an AD...
                Sometimes when I wear it, I even forget its "history"...after all, it looks brand new and pretty after servicing.....
                If you are disturbed about the history of the watch, u can always buy from the forum members...I'm sure they are more trustworthy and you can skip the mark-up from 2nd hand dealers.....Most importantly, you know they don't come from the wrist of a decomposed body...ha!
                "Most importantly, you know they don't come from the wrist of a decomposed body...ha!"

Sure?

Originally posted by commoner View Post
                I am not rich at all, but I like watches like everyone els here.

I am old fashion and buy for keeps, or giveaways. To trade, that would be alien to my parents and me. To each his own.

Its like if I have 20k, will I buy 2 pre-owned or just 1 new. Choices we make everyday not just watches. I will buy the Brand new 1.

I like my things new, and even when it becomes ancient, it was new when I 1st have it.

this is a forum that not only talk about watches but trading is a great part of the culture here.

So was wondering whoelse here is a stickler like me who will try to buy BNIB from AD as much as I can, even if it takes double the time to save up. Those who deep pockets, well that a different kettle of fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                me ?
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

+1

Generally agree here. For example, if you wanted a brass Resonance or DRSD, it'll be verging on the impossible to find one new at an AD.

Originally posted by wongcheok View Post
                  Haven't owned a BNIB since my fashionistic fossil watch back when I was nineteen or so! Anyway, I think its difficult to abide by a blanket "BNIB at all cost" principle; neither is it tenable to go pre-owned all the way. Like life, one must build in some flexibility since there's many considerations that one would have to factor in. E.g.

- Availability of watch. Some great watches have limited runs, so bo pian get pre-owned if you want to chup in

- Whether you're a vintage lover. No need to explain, this. Best you can hit is NOS or safe queen watch, either of which destroys bank accounts

- Robustness of aftermarket. As bro triton has mentioned, watches that don't hold their value in aftermarket, I'll definitely avoid BNIB... unless the watch is really swee and I don't intend to resell. In that case, I may be willing to pay a few hundred more for that brief moment of euphoria

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Most ladies dun like pre-owned watches

I personally think ladies can live with pre-owned handbags but I seldom see them going after pre-owned watches.

These days there are more ladies in AD than men worldwide, I'm not kidding here. Most of em are buying w their own cash $!

Ladies nowadays have high education, better jobs & social standing and look for new watches from AD.

They oso tend not to buy from flippers, grey-traders & non official dealers.
                    I think ladies prefer e experience of being properly attended by retail outlets.

The onlie exception is handbags where some ladies who cannot wait due to long waitlist that can even be longer than any watches or when e stock is very limited or when it's very rare / popular will go for grey traders / flippers.

I see this not only in SG but in USA, Euro, Japan, Taiwan, Korea & China as well.

I am studying handbags nowadays in Taiwan, Korea & Japan.
                    I think we can make $ investing is rare, highly collectible good bags...

Comment

best is depends on whether it is worthit or not!

Comment

pre own

pre own watches definitely.

Comment

Brand new obviously! but as much as wallet permits us to do so
                          Currently Own:
                          Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Black Panda 26470ST
                          IWC Portugieser Chronograph IW371446
                          Sevenfriday SF-P2/01
                          Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 42mm 3570.50.00
                          Rolex Daytona 116523 Half Gold
                          Seiko SKX007 Modded
                          Breitling Cockpit C49350 Gold

Sold:
                          Panerai Luminor Marina Automatic PAM00048
                          Tag Heuer Chronograph Calibre 16 Day-date Carrera CV2A10
                          Tudor Heritage Black Bay Red 79220R
                          Rolex Datejust

Comment

I will choose brand new for first rolex watch.....

Comment

my opinion, I would tend to go for preowned for designs that were discontinued. Some old designs are nice...but if it is for new designs that are currently selling, I likely to go buy new ones...so preowned for old, or vintage or very rare ones...

Comment

Preowned is better

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X