This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shady marketplace

Is it just me or does the marketplace seems a bit shady at times?

First of all, we have people who buy the watch 2nd hand, and then claimed that they got it first hand. When u do a quick search on their posts, u realised they are lying (ok, sellers, there is a search function lor, so pls stop posting stuffs if u intend to lie).

Then we have sellers who claimed they wore it a certain number of times only. Which is obviously bull.

Then some pple who buy it 2nd hand, mark it up, and sell it on the marketplace again after they got sick of it.

And we got some pple who got it first hand at a steal, but refuse to disclose the original price that they paid, and claimed they lost the receipt.

Or they will claim that the best price in the market is so-and-so. Which with a quick check is obviously bull.

Of course, people still buy them. And some of them are suckers. And if they are suckers, its their own fault. I guess. And life is not fair anyway, some of you may argue.

It also reminded me of a kind neighbor who wanted to sell her balenciaga bag to my sis for 1k. I told her "you got it at 2nd hand for 1K, remember?" Then she said "970? I rarely use it". "But I always see u carrying it what?" Ok I didn't say the last sentence but i wanted to walk away with disgust at that point. And she drives a cool beemer. Its like, wtf?

I got friends who work at the airport and they can always help me get watches minus the gst. And that got me thinking, why would i settle for most of the marketplace watches which often are priced unrealistically. Just some of my thoughts. Hehe
    Just a 16613 Blue TT Sub

hmmm.... oso dunno why.... but willing buyer willing seller loh...

for buyers, must learn to 'loon' ... hehehee ... mst learn not to any how jump...

Comment

I think these kind of watches, buy already will get bad luck one, haha. Becos it carry the malice and lies of the previous owners. Lots of bad karma.
      Just a 16613 Blue TT Sub

Comment

Wah, can do that one? People who work at airport buy things no need to pay GST one meh???? No need to show passport or document of travaling as proof?

Originally posted by Bluedevil View Post

First of all, we have people who buy the watch 2nd hand, and then claimed that they got it first hand. When u do a quick search on their posts, u realised they are lying (ok, sellers, there is a search function lor, so pls stop posting stuffs if u intend to lie).

Then we have sellers who claimed they wore it a certain number of times only. Which is obviously bull.

Then some pple who buy it 2nd hand, mark it up, and sell it on the marketplace again after they got sick of it.

And we got some pple who got it first hand at a steal, but refuse to disclose the original price that they paid, and claimed they lost the receipt.

Or they will claim that the best price in the market is so-and-so. Which with a quick check is obviously bull.

Of course, people still buy them. And some of them are suckers. And if they are suckers, its their own fault. I guess. And life is not fair anyway, some of you may argue.

It also reminded me of a kind neighbor who wanted to sell her balenciaga bag to my sis for 1k. I told her "you got it at 2nd hand for 1K, remember?" Then she said "970? I rarely use it". "But I always see u carrying it what?" Ok I didn't say the last sentence but i wanted to walk away with disgust at that point. And she drives a cool beemer. Its like, wtf?

I got friends who work at the airport and they can always help me get watches minus the gst. And that got me thinking, why would i settle for most of the marketplace watches which often are priced unrealistically. Just some of my thoughts. Hehe

Comment

bluedevil., lie or not, good luck or not dunno lah... if u willing to buy, u hv to accept loh...anyway very individual 1 lah...

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
          Wah, can do that one? People who work at airport buy things no need to pay GST one meh???? No need to show passport or document of travaling as proof?
          last time i wanna buy, tell them i pay 1st, i go overseas come bck thn pick up, they say cannot...mst leave sg... WTF... but i think if the sales really wanna do it... sure can 1 lah
          Last edited by pet; 11-08-08, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Yes, pet you're right..

Why ask so much and why bother so much? Price right buy loh, price right sell loh...

Originally posted by pet View Post
            lie or not, good luck or not dunno lah... if u willing to buy, u hv to accept loh...anyway very individual 1 lah...

Comment

Yeah I have a few pilot friends. Perks of being in a sec school with people of high calibre; i get their schedule, and send them on buying missions around the world. U can pm me if u want a watch man. Esp if its one available on the marketplace with queasy prices
              Just a 16613 Blue TT Sub

Comment

Yes, pet you're right..

Why ask so much and why bother so much? Price right buy loh, price right sell loh...
                Ok good for u lor.
                Just a 16613 Blue TT Sub

Comment

I presume alot of 'sellers' in marketplace are trying their luck.... putting up a high asking price, letting potential buyers nego from there OR waiting for someone new to unknowingly buy the watch at a high price.

IMO, there are also a few dealers in marketplace too... juz tat they wouldn't identify themselves... so these dealers are not the average joe like u n me... they need to make $ from the buy/sale of these watches to sustain their biz rite?

So the bottomline is, buy the watch only if you are comfortable with the price. If not, wait for a better deal... no rush over these things.
                  A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

yes i caught a few of them doing this in SGROC...i'll not name names but if the buyers don't do their research then too bad...

good of you to bring this up, bro!
                    Last edited by wolfeyes1974; 11-08-08, 10:41 AM.
                    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                    Audemars Piguet ROO
                    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                    Panerai 270
                    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                    Rolex 116610LV
                    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

I've shared tis previously. What irks me is nt the pte sellers, ie pple like u n me, it's te PIs or even ADs ! They r making business out of tis n I still feel they hv to show responsibility n professionalism.
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Market place as in..the market place at SG-ROC?

Yeah I have a few pilot friends. Perks of being in a sec school with people of high calibre; i get their schedule, and send them on buying missions around the world. U can pm me if u want a watch man. Esp if its one available on the marketplace with queasy prices
                        You from ACS also? or RI?

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
                        I presume alot of 'sellers' in marketplace are trying their luck.... putting up a high asking price, letting potential buyers nego from there OR waiting for someone new to unknowingly buy the watch at a high price.

IMO, there are also a few dealers in marketplace too... juz tat they wouldn't identify themselves... so these dealers are not the average joe like u n me... they need to make $ from the buy/sale of these watches to sustain their biz rite?

So the bottomline is, buy the watch only if you are comfortable with the price. If not, wait for a better deal... no rush over these things.
                        Agreed

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

[QUOTE=Bluedevil;75687]Is it just me or does the marketplace seems a bit shady at times?

Shady is buying a secondhand car from a dealer, that's where you get ripped.

But honestly part of the lure/fun and collecting watches is really from obtaining rare, quirky, fun and interesting time pieces. Now for the majority of people on this forum 95%, can't or prefer not to go and buy brand new straight out. Why? Because we know that as soon as a watch is taken out of the shop (just like a car) it looses value.

I feel that unless it's a watch that you plan to keep forever then it's prob not worth buying brand new. If it's just a faze or a fashion piece then better to buy second hand...

Comment

Warning!WallofTextAlert!

First of all, we have people who buy the watch 2nd hand, and then claimed that they got it first hand. When u do a quick search on their posts, u realised they are lying (ok, sellers, there is a search function lor, so pls stop posting stuffs if u intend to lie). Wah, sipeh thick-skinned seller. Up to buyer to be alert.

This is generally true but it is also subjective cause it also depends on how violent the owner is. My wife's Pam after 1 year looks like it went through WW1 and WW2 combined.

Eh, nothing wrong with getting sick of a purchase and then flipping it to fund a new purchase right? If I've limited funds and I sianz with my 2 yr old E1 and now I beo the Milgauss, nothing wrong to sell the E1 to fund my new purchase what. I know of a watch forum where the same watch was flipped from one forummer to another, each time the price's higher. It's now with the 4th owner. As for the mark ups, they can mark up whatever they want, but are they selling it? If the price is not right, just walk.

And we got some pple who got it first hand at a steal, but refuse to disclose the original price that they paid, and claimed they lost the receipt. Agree with you 110% if your grouse is that you want the original receipt so your purchase more complete. But if what you are saying is that because seller got low price, shld likewise sell low...why shld he? Seller fully entitled to sell at whatever price he wants...up to buyer to do his checks and decide if he agrees to the price.

Or they will claim that the best price in the market is so-and-so. Which with a quick check is obviously bull. Which seller wldn't try some marketing to justify a higher price and try for a bigger profit? Again, seller can put whatever price he wants, up to buyer to do his checks before buying.

Of course, people still buy them. And some of them are suckers. And if they are suckers, its their own fault. I guess. And life is not fair anyway, some of you may argue. Sadly, such is life...

It also reminded me of a kind neighbor who wanted to sell her balenciaga bag to my sis for 1k. I told her "you got it at 2nd hand for 1K, remember?" Then she said "970? I rarely use it". "But I always see u carrying it what?" Ok I didn't say the last sentence but i wanted to walk away with disgust at that point. And she drives a cool beemer. Its like, wtf? And so you/ sis walked out of a bad deal because you were alert.. so why you frus? So what if your neighbour is rich? If just a neighbour and nothing more, she really has no obligations to you/sis

I got friends who work at the airport and they can always help me get watches minus the gst. And that got me thinking, why would i settle for most of the marketplace watches which often are priced unrealistically. Just some of my thoughts. Hehe And so you shld if you feel the prices are better...

Mkt place's still very much a place for me to check out for potential purchases, keep track of the prevailing asking/ mkt price and for a good laugh. All these are just typical advertising/ mkting smog that you have to filter, common and inevitable in any mkt place. When I go to the wetmkt with my mother, I also have to deal with such advertising/marketing. I will start worrying only when the real scammers start coming in, e.g. passing off fakeees as real or those who are all out to take monies and run type.
                            "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                            three times is enemy action and
                            over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                            ."

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                              Warning!WallofTextAlert!

First of all, we have people who buy the watch 2nd hand, and then claimed that they got it first hand. When u do a quick search on their posts, u realised they are lying (ok, sellers, there is a search function lor, so pls stop posting stuffs if u intend to lie). Wah, sipeh thick-skinned seller. Up to buyer to be alert.

This is generally true but it is also subjective cause it also depends on how violent the owner is. My wife's Pam after 1 year looks like it went through WW1 and WW2 combined.

Eh, nothing wrong with getting sick of a purchase and then flipping it to fund a new purchase right? If I've limited funds and I sianz with my 2 yr old E1 and now I beo the Milgauss, nothing wrong to sell the E1 to fund my new purchase what. I know of a watch forum where the same watch was flipped from one forummer to another, each time the price's higher. It's now with the 4th owner. As for the mark ups, they can mark up whatever they want, but are they selling it? If the price is not right, just walk.

And we got some pple who got it first hand at a steal, but refuse to disclose the original price that they paid, and claimed they lost the receipt. Agree with you 110% if your grouse is that you want the original receipt so your purchase more complete. But if what you are saying is that because seller got low price, shld likewise sell low...why shld he? Seller fully entitled to sell at whatever price he wants...up to buyer to do his checks and decide if he agrees to the price.

Or they will claim that the best price in the market is so-and-so. Which with a quick check is obviously bull. Which seller wldn't try some marketing to justify a higher price and try for a bigger profit? Again, seller can put whatever price he wants, up to buyer to do his checks before buying.

Of course, people still buy them. And some of them are suckers. And if they are suckers, its their own fault. I guess. And life is not fair anyway, some of you may argue. Sadly, such is life...

It also reminded me of a kind neighbor who wanted to sell her balenciaga bag to my sis for 1k. I told her "you got it at 2nd hand for 1K, remember?" Then she said "970? I rarely use it". "But I always see u carrying it what?" Ok I didn't say the last sentence but i wanted to walk away with disgust at that point. And she drives a cool beemer. Its like, wtf? And so you/ sis walked out of a bad deal because you were alert.. so why you frus? So what if your neighbour is rich? If just a neighbour and nothing more, she really has no obligations to you/sis

I got friends who work at the airport and they can always help me get watches minus the gst. And that got me thinking, why would i settle for most of the marketplace watches which often are priced unrealistically. Just some of my thoughts. Hehe And so you shld if you feel the prices are better...

Mkt place's still very much a place for me to check out for potential purchases, keep track of the prevailing asking/ mkt price and for a good laugh. All these are just typical advertising/ mkting smog that you have to filter, common and inevitable in any mkt place. When I go to the wetmkt with my mother, I also have to deal with such advertising/marketing. I will start worrying only when the real scammers start coming in, e.g. passing off fakeees as real or those who are all out to take monies and run type.
                              Well said.... n u r really neat
                              A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X