Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scammed by a known Person ..solution pl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammed by a known Person ..solution pl.

Hi

Just wanted to update about a dealer who has been posting a lot of stuff on gumtree (he is not a watch dealer).I met him thru the contact number provided and he had a circa 1991 ladies Rolex Datejust for sale. He mentioned that he did not had box and papers. I checked the watch (am a Rolex enthusiast..and knew a bit about watches myself)myself and i think this proved to be my folly. liking the watch, I shelled out 1,800$ for the rolex.

later when i took it to one of my trusted dealer , chronoexchange (bro johnson), he took a careful look at the watch dial and told me that the watch dial in not real . I was taken aback ....when i contacted the seller he refused to acknowledge that he has not spoken the total truth . He is in Indonesia now , waiting for him to come back after which i will take him to task

any suggestions how to handle this situations? Look i know i have been careless...but i would request the experienced members to share their perspective on how to solve this ...thanks in advance

like to know what dial is it?

kindly post picture of the dial

in true honesty, once money changed hands it is tough to have any re-course

it is up to seller to do anything
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Me thinks being overseas is just an excuse.

Any evidence (SMS) to prove that he lied?

Comment

If you do not intend to settle this amicably in private with the seller (esp so if the seller is avoiding you), you may consider to lodge a police report. Whether anything comes out of it, depends on a lot of factors. Just gather all the relevant evidences such as your tele-communication exchanges, date/time/place where the transaction took place, the seller's physical descriptions, etc.
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I think you should pay $107 and get it authenticated at RSC before you do anything.

I had a similar experience 6 months ago. I paid ten over thousands for a 2 year old 116244 local full set. One day I passed by a pre-owned watches retail chain which I was familiar with and went in to take a look at the watches. I chatted with the shop's watch master/expert and he took a look at my 116244. After examining it with a loupe, he came to a very sure conclusion that the dial wasn't an original one from Rolex.

Upon hearing that, I went to RSC and paid $107 to have it authenticated. Much to my relief, I was told by the RSC that everything on my watch was original.

Therefore I think you should bring your watch to RSC before you do anything. RSC has the serial numbers of watch parts to check through. I think those watch experts out there might be a little too suspicious of anything that is different from their experience. However they might not have seen it all to be absolutely sure.

Comment

sorry to hear bro.... i dont think there is a case against him cos he can claim that he had told you the watch details including the dial. sorry this is hard to digest.

Comment

Reputable shops sometimes may also got it wrong.
              Send to Rolex Center for verification.

Comment

Sorry to hear your misfortune but 1991 Lady DJ at $1800 probably too good to be true

Now is your words against his...

Good luck bro

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond View Post
                  I think you should pay $107 and get it authenticated at RSC before you do anything.

I had a similar experience 6 months ago. I paid ten over thousands for a 2 year old 116244 local full set. One day I passed by a pre-owned watches retail chain which I was familiar with and went in to take a look at the watches. I chatted with the shop's watch master/expert and he took a look at my 116244. After examining it with a loupe, he came to a very sure conclusion that the dial wasn't an original one from Rolex.

Upon hearing that, I went to RSC and paid $107 to have it authenticated. Much to my relief, I was told by the RSC that everything on my watch was original.

Therefore I think you should bring your watch to RSC before you do anything. RSC has the serial numbers of watch parts to check through. I think those watch experts out there might be a little too suspicious of anything that is different from their experience. However they might not have seen it all to be absolutely sure.

May i know which master/expert is that?
                  Am not saying he is wrong but that means RSC is wrong so just wondering.
                  And if you think RSC cannot make a mistake, think again.

There is a reason why you get simply a recept for $107 that say nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by amitabh View Post
                    Hi

Just wanted to update about a dealer who has been posting a lot of stuff on gumtree (he is not a watch dealer).I met him thru the contact number provided and he had a circa 1991 ladies Rolex Datejust for sale. He mentioned that he did not had box and papers. I checked the watch (am a Rolex enthusiast..and knew a bit about watches myself)myself and i think this proved to be my folly. liking the watch, I shelled out 1,800$ for the rolex.

later when i took it to one of my trusted dealer , chronoexchange (bro johnson), he took a careful look at the watch dial and told me that the watch dial in not real . I was taken aback ....when i contacted the seller he refused to acknowledge that he has not spoken the total truth . He is in Indonesia now , waiting for him to come back after which i will take him to task

any suggestions how to handle this situations? Look i know i have been careless...but i would request the experienced members to share their perspective on how to solve this ...thanks in advance
                    Just get another original dial, dude.
                    Not expensive. Maybe $200-300 max

Comment

I would get a second opinion at RSC. Dial perhaps not original or perhaps a service dial or perhaps reworked? Need to confirm if the dial is a down right non rolex fake?

Unless his ad stated all original and untouched rolex parts or u specifically asked and have proof, it will be difficult as if the case, bracelet, movement, crystal are all authentic, he is in effect not selling a fake but a Franken. If the dial is rolex just not original to that watch or reworked then it isn't even a Franken.

Comment

Just wanted to update..I finally got in touch with him , now he claims that he had told me that the dial is not original .As advised by a few bros i went thru the details of my wattsapp and located the conversation on the watch (this was on my earlier phone)..there he has claimed that the watch is original except that it is old.
                        ...the seller claims that he is still overseas and will come back to singapore shortly. I am just concerned that he might con some other unsuspecting bro or sis.

hence i have decided to lodge a claim with gumtree and put the seller on notice that legal recourse would be taken if he dosnt reimburse my money . I have kept police as the last option in this case.

over 5 years i have bought and traded 20 over high end watches...this is the first time i got conned and even if many of you feel that less than 2k is a small ammount ...trust me the humiliation that i felt in front of my wife and the dealer whom i know so well ..is hard to forget

Comment

Originally posted by amitabh View Post
                          Just wanted to update..I finally got in touch with him , now he claims that he had told me that the dial is not original .As advised by a few bros i went thru the details of my wattsapp and located the conversation on the watch (this was on my earlier phone)..there he has claimed that the watch is original except that it is old.
                          ...the seller claims that he is still overseas and will come back to singapore shortly. I am just concerned that he might con some other unsuspecting bro or sis.

hence i have decided to lodge a claim with gumtree and put the seller on notice that legal recourse would be taken if he dosnt reimburse my money . I have kept police as the last option in this case.

over 5 years i have bought and traded 20 over high end watches...this is the first time i got conned and even if many of you feel that less than 2k is a small ammount ...trust me the humiliation that i felt in front of my wife and the dealer whom i know so well ..is hard to forget
                          Yup it not about the money, it integrity. He tried to cheat. Must give him jialat jialat. Really regretted that I let go of a guy that is well known here. Anyway do update us

Comment

thanks guys for all help , the seller has finlly agreed to give me the original dial and the glass. he has promised to leave the same in my mail bin by monday (still dosnt want to face me

he just wattsapped me pics of the same . Just that I think he should have come clear with me in the first place

Comment

Good to hear the happy ending at least for you

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X