No announcement yet.

SINN U1 Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, actually while i was adjusting my deployant, i did noticed there is a small scatch on it and to my surprised it shown the shiny surface and honestly i am quite disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by mhkwong View Post
      Hi, actually while i was adjusting my deployant, i did noticed there is a small scatch on it and to my surprised it shown the shiny surface and honestly i am quite disappointed.
      As far as I know the deployment buckle is also tegimented for U1 black. For U2S or U1000S or any earlier version of 'black', the buckle is not tegimented, however AD told me, Sinn will replace the non tegimented to tegimented one for free.

To my knowledge, the tegimented PVD layer is not as hard as the tegimented steel. It is harder than the normal PVD, but PVD is still a PVD. It would be interesting to see how the PVD would survive after serious wear and tear. Maybe Tempus U1 owners can comment on it.
      [SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
      [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
      [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
      [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
      [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
      [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

hi, bros. hope this is helpful.

I got these spec from my u-black operating manual:

CASE:

-tempered submarine steel, black hard coated with a hardness of 1500 HV

- hardened diver's bezel with lumnous triangle, ....

so according to the spec fr the u-black manual, the hardness of the u black bezel and case (1500 HV) is more or less the same as the normal u1 and u2 (non-pvd).

but it is not specified in the manual whether the buckle is also treated/hardened. However, according to the SE at THG, the pvd buckle for the u-black is also treated.
        "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...
        the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind.
        If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

Comment

I think what Sinn claimed could be misleading. I tend to believe the results of the tests done by this fellow.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=198493
          [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

thanks for the wus link, bro

very informative read. hope we will get more info from THG or SINN
            If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

Comment

got this review of the black u1 tempus from

http://mob.watchprosite.com/show-for.../ti-382731/s-/

i will cut and paste the review by sjx on the black tempus u1

The Tegiment coating is much, much tougher than I imagined it would be. A few days ago I knocked the watch against the edge of a metal cupboard, resulting in a few silver flecks on the bezel - ouch. With a heavy heart I managed to get through the rest of the day. But in the evening I realised that the silver bits on the bezel were gone! It was no miracle - the silver specks were bits of the cupboard, not nicks in the Tegiment coating!

If you visit the various fan sites of Sinn you will find that such stories are quite common – but as a sceptic, you never can be sure that this is not just hubris until you experience it yourself. This Tegiment quality – while not bullet proof – has proven to prevent heartaches for its many fans and owners.

can any bro clarify the pvd coating / hardness with THG or Sinn?

Comment

This is my theory, don't quote me:

Base material: Sub steel. Sub steel is approximately 155% harder than normal 316L SS, probably surface hardness around 400-500HV
                Sub Steel is then tegimented>> this will increase the hardness to approximately 1500 HV
                PVD coating will be applied on top of the tegimented sub steel. The hard PVD coating itself has a surface hardness of more than 2000HV. The problem of conventional PVD coating is the big difference is surface hardness between the base material and PVD itself. If you apply PVD on top of normal SS or soft material, you will have the "egg shell" or "thin ice" effect. Layer is hard, inside is soft. Material underneath the PVD is not able to withstand the pressure, and it can lead to PVD coating failure after some wear and tear.

The tegimentation of the base material makes the difference. This differentiates Sinn from other companies. With the tegimentation of the base material, Sinn avoids the eggshell effect and hence improve the durability of the PVD coating.

The above theory is interpreted from few Sinn's publications. What Sinn didn't mention and this is solely my theory, the PVD hard coating is applied multilayer with different combination of PVD material. The combination of different PVD material in multilayer PVD coating could improve the wear resistance of the coating. I believe the adhesion of PVD to the tegimented base material is greatly improved.

What the guy at WUS found out from his experiment, the PVD coating of Sinn has a surface hardness of 328HV only. This may be right for the surface, but the PVD layer in contact with the tegimented base material could have much higher HV number. This could be the reason why Sinn published a PVD coating with 2000HV, as they are referring to the hardness of PVD coating in contact with the base material.

Hope this helps. I hope we have real expert in this forum to explain this better. This discussion forced me to take out some of my old Uni books that has collected dust over the years .

Comment

3.6k a good price? since it has been launched for a while...
                  Tag Heuer 2000 Professional Chronograph
                  Tag Heuer Formula 1
                  Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 16234
                  Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 116234
                  Rolex GMT II 16710
                  Sinn U1 SDR

Comment

Originally posted by phantom628 View Post
                    I agree with you bro...I'm also quite confused why people are buying and selling this watch almost immediately after they've got it. To me, its a fantastic looking watch which I can confidently wear it on a daily basis, which I have been doing so since the day I collected mine. And it has been a great conversation piece as well. I'm totally in love with my U Black and I'm proud to wear it. Its quite sad to see it being traded off by people who did not buy it for the love of it...
                    i am tempted after my SA sms me that there is one piece available...but....sigh...
                    Tag Heuer 2000 Professional Chronograph
                    Tag Heuer Formula 1
                    Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 16234
                    Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 116234
                    Rolex GMT II 16710
                    Sinn U1 SDR

Comment

Originally posted by evets View Post
                      3.6k a good price? since it has been launched for a while...
                      brand new piece is going at that price so it's ok...
                      I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                      A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                      Audemars Piguet ROO
                      Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                      De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                      Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                      Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                      Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                      IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                      Panerai 270
                      Patek Philippe 5711/1a