Resale Value - Panerai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amitabh View Post
    I feel that PAM is getting into a mass production frenzy without realizing that in this world scarcity determins the value not availability

This is exactly what Panerai is trying to master. Making the scarcity an availability.

Special Edition means only a certain limited number of owners gets one but with many many more Special Editions? Means more and more owners get to own the piece of scarcity. The same as producing the many numerous regular limited production models. Its limited but regular. Its regularly limited.

Congrats on your 317. A time machine that has it all. I am still waiting to strike 4D so I can finally land its Titanium brother the 311.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
    it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
    How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done.'

Comment

go for the 275 with the dot dial , I just sold mine to Bro johnson from Chronoexchange :-)

Originally posted by Ryuden View Post
      This is exactly what Panerai is trying to master. Making the scarcity an availability.

Special Edition means only a certain limited number of owners gets one but with many many more Special Editions? Means more and more owners get to own the piece of scarcity. The same as producing the many numerous regular limited production models. Its limited but regular. Its regularly limited.

Congrats on your 317. A time machine that has it all. I am still waiting to strike 4D so I can finally land its Titanium brother the 311.

Comment

With so many of the "same" thing is how panerai do business. No right or wrong to this. However, I am a bit lost coz I can't name a "MUST have" model anymore.

If Panerai staff is reading this, please slow down in making so many new radiomir models. Most prefer luminor I think.

Comment

go for the 275 with the dot dial , I just sold mine to Bro johnson from Chronoexchange :-)
          I'm curious - did you try to sell on the forums and failed to get a better price than what you sold to the said dealer?
          Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

The dot dial is a definite winner for its cleanness but I have a weakness for titanium and tobacco when it comes to Panerais...

And like Pegasi mentioned, have you tried selling on your own via forums? Unless the price offered to you was as good as unloading one to direct buyer.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
            it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
            How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
            That's how winning is done.'

Comment

No I never tried selling this on the forum . I am very sure if i tried I would have gt a fantastic deal . To be honest I needed cash urgently to fund another deal, hence i went to Bro johnson who bought it from me at a very good price

the watch is almost new ....I am not trying to sell ....i dont need to just ...just that you expressed intrest and i happen to know about this hence passing it on .

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
              I'm curious - did you try to sell on the forums and failed to get a better price than what you sold to the said dealer?

Comment

over the years while talking to forum members especially panerai watch owners, what if one day, panerai decided to go "mass produced" in various aspects such as increasing production numbers, models. what will happen to their resale value.
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

No I never tried selling this on the forum . I am very sure if i tried I would have gt a fantastic deal . To be honest I needed cash urgently to fund another deal, hence i went to Bro johnson who bought it from me at a very good price

the watch is almost new ....I am not trying to sell ....i dont need to just ...just that you expressed intrest and i happen to know about this hence passing it on .
                  Ok...So, you were very sure you would get a fantastic deal if you tried to sell it on the forums, but you were so desperate to get fund for another watch and therefore you sold (or trade) it to the dealer "at a big markdown" (quote from your earlier post).

But I don't understand the last part - You are not trying to sell what? And who expressed interest on what?

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                    Donno about you guys, but I lost track of the models after the 3 series ...
                    Anyway, just disposed of my 190H, so I am Pam-less ... for now.
                    Waiting for a 44mm version of the 372 or 587; I believe sooner or later it will come.
                    For present pieces, while prices have softened, they are still not low enough to tempt me to get one.

Ender
                    I have had no fewer than 30 Pams since 2004. When 372 (127 killer) came out, I exited the Pam market, keeping one 1 titanium base cos its got the Pam DNA. What follows are remakes of LE piece, small variations and another model number. At that time, I knew Pam is going to be seen everywhere but it also means nothing special and that most people cannot tell from one model to another just be looking at it from far.

For me that's it for Pam.

Resale prices is the result of many factors. Pams still hold ok resale (but that's relative depending on what you compare with) but it now blends more like all other watches. I would say, Pam has lost its roots and former uniqueness in exchange for greater mass market appeal (which ironically means it is less appealing to the older collectors)

I still have fond memories of my 127, 217, 249, 232, 190, 1A and 116. Those to me are what Pam is about.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                      over the years while talking to forum members especially panerai watch owners, what if one day, panerai decided to go "mass produced" in various aspects such as increasing production numbers, models. what will happen to their resale value.
                      Mass produce is not the same as over produce. No manufacturer will plan to over produce but will always aim to increase sales (and hence production volume). Over-supply is usually a consequence of inaccurate sales forecast (as a result of product/pricing/marketing strategy etc) + competitions.

For me and (I believe) for most people, the problem with OP is not increasing the volume but number of models. However, that does not necessary mean OP have failed to increase overall sales, but it should be fair to say that any long-term negative impact as a result of such product strategy is something they do not anticipate.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                        Mass produce is not the same as over produce. No manufacturer will plan to over produce but will always aim to increase sales (and hence production volume). Over-supply is usually a consequence of inaccurate sales forecast (as a result of product/pricing/marketing strategy etc) + competitions.

For me and (I believe) for most people, the problem with OP is not increasing the volume but number of models. However, that does not necessary mean OP have failed to increase overall sales, but it should be fair to say that any long-term negative impact as a result of such product strategy is something they do not anticipate.
                        Reasons why the number of Pams (both quantity and models) will only increase (which might or might not impact resale). Rolex makes 900000 watches a year and resale still ok.

1. It is part of Richemont and not independent.
                        2. Richemont looks to OP as a 2nd tier Luxury product (Similar to IWC but not like Lange)
                        3. Richemont sees the potential for OP to "muscle" into the segment where AP used to dominate (Hublot also join in)
                        4. Richemont's purpose of making OP in-house is in line to mark OP in the correct segment. Keep it ETA and they will not be able to sell watches above RRP$20K.

So, I think Richemont is milking its DNA to make it mass market high horology but that in itself is a little flawed as the roots of Pam is a affordable military watch. Trying to make it into haute culture is a mis-normer. Haute culture belongs to the Patek, Lange and VC!

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                          I have had no fewer than 30 Pams since 2004. When 372 (127 killer) came out, I exited the Pam market, keeping one 1 titanium base cos its got the Pam DNA. What follows are remakes of LE piece, small variations and another model number. At that time, I knew Pam is going to be seen everywhere but it also means nothing special and that most people cannot tell from one model to another just be looking at it from far.

For me that's it for Pam.

Resale prices is the result of many factors. Pams still hold ok resale (but that's relative depending on what you compare with) but it now blends more like all other watches. I would say, Pam has lost its roots and former uniqueness in exchange for greater mass market appeal (which ironically means it is less appealing to the older collectors)

I still have fond memories of my 127, 217, 249, 232, 190, 1A and 116. Those to me are what Pam is about.
                          well said, this is why i'm all left with a 243...those were the days!
                          :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                            Reasons why the number of Pams (both quantity and models) will only increase (which might or might not impact resale). Rolex makes 900000 watches a year and resale still ok.

1. It is part of Richemont and not independent.
                            2. Richemont looks to OP as a 2nd tier Luxury product (Similar to IWC but not like Lange)
                            3. Richemont sees the potential for OP to "muscle" into the segment where AP used to dominate (Hublot also join in)
                            4. Richemont's purpose of making OP in-house is in line to mark OP in the correct segment. Keep it ETA and they will not be able to sell watches above RRP$20K.

So, I think Richemont is milking its DNA to make it mass market high horology but that in itself is a little flawed as the roots of Pam is a affordable military watch. Trying to make it into haute culture is a mis-normer. Haute culture belongs to the Patek, Lange and VC!
                            A fair interpretation/assessment.

Didn't someone say it's all about money?

Comment

The bubble has burst. Yeah right.. Still waiting for a Pam 005 at SGD $3500.00 to complete my set of Pam 000 and Pam 005 : )

I would say .. it is less insane now. It was way off tangent during 07 circa
                              I own a Rolex !

Comment

Originally posted by Paneraii View Post
                                The bubble has burst. Yeah right.. Still waiting for a Pam 005 at SGD $3500.00 to complete my set of Pam 000 and Pam 005 : )

I would say .. it is less insane now. It was way off tangent during 07 circa

Not impossible. I paid $7500 for a 5G back then. Now, it's 1/3 down.

Maybe I should hunt for my old flame, 183G!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X