No announcement yet.

What has happened to Panerai?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U R THE MAN bro Ocean!Hahahahaha....your style sibei solid....i ought to learn a thing or two from you!
    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I agree with what the brothers here have said about ADs with their rumours. These ADs know human psychology and that people are stirred by comments like "this model will be discontinued soon", 'you better buy now or there will be a price increase....". I was even told that the PAM 0 & 5 will be discontinued in 2009.

Lately, I have even heard that the entire line of PAMs with ETA movements will be discontinued as Panerai wants to focus on in-house movements only including the P.9000 series. Am I moved by such rumours? No!
      His: AP ROO, Hublot BB, PAM 24/29/183/372, Chopard L.U.C 2000/Mille Miglia, Rolex Milgauss 116400 GV/Sub 16610 LV/1680 "Red Sub"/GMT Master 1675/GMT Master II 16760 "FAT LADY"/Seadweller 16600/DSSD 116660, Tudor 94010 "Snowflake"/94200 "BIG Block"/Heritage Chrono/Black Bay, Omega Seamaster 2254.50/2538.20

Hers: AP ROO & AP Millenary, Cartier Santos, Chopard Happy Sports & Cannes Fest, PAM 49, Rolex Explorer1 214270

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
        U R THE MAN bro Ocean!Hahahahaha....your style sibei solid....i ought to learn a thing or two from you!
        No I'm not trying to find fault purposely but being a representative of a company that sells goods worth millions of dollars, one has to be responsible for one's words. Legally speaking, this can tantamount to Cheating, under Section 420 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224. I recalled there was a debate over some legal issues concerning buying a pre-own car which had "tweaked mileage". It means the car dealer/agent, adjusted the mileage to a smaller reading so that he/she could pass off the car as being less older/driven, so as to boost the sale.

Cheating? Or merely a commercial dispute??
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Power....next time can go to you for legal advice liao...hehehehe.....
          Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I can't remember if there was any result, but in short, as long as a consumer made a purchase with the sole purpose of what he/she was informed of, then it turns out to be untrue, then it becomes cheating. Take the same example of the car purchase:

If the buyer's main intention/purpose of buying that car is solely because of the low mileage (triggering point), that was actually 'tweaked', then it becomes cheating, and the seller is liable. However, if the low mileage was only a "portion" of the intention/purpose of the buyer to make the decision to buy that car, then it becomes merely a trading dispute.

I relate that back to the watch purchase. If the main triggering point to make me purchase the SD was a promise made by the salesman that the watch was discontinued, then if it was not so, then it was cheating. But if the "discontinuation" only formed a part of my decision-making, then cheating doesn't stand.

Any lawyer(s) in the house to advise? I stand corrected.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Ok...not too sure why we want to go from Panerai to law..but here goes....

What you have just described in the "car dealer" scenario is what in the legal parlance is called "misrepresentation". Normally it must be a misrepresentation that goes to the subject matter and that you must have relied on the misrepresentation to enter into the contract to buy before u can rely on misrepresentation.

The remedy for misrepresentation is that the contract is voidable i.e. you can choose to be put back to the position before u enter into the contract.

i pretty sure the "car dealer" scenario, you would have good case as the mileage goes into the subject matter of the goods. With regards to the watch, I am not so sure...other than the fact that the dealer/seller is making a representation to you that the watch is going to be discontinued and limited numbers in the future. Maybe watches have their own trade practice where if a watch is discontinued, it would be worth much more than it is.

I might be wrong.....dun quote me...haha

Comment

Good. I learnt something. Tx.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  Actually I find these phrases too commonly used. It has been somewhat abused. The discontinuation of watch models (any brand) has always been over rumours, and there will always not be any official statement by the brands, in any form to inform the public that a watch model is discontinued .

Having said that, it is likely a marketing ploy of sort and over years, it is accepted, or forced to be accepted as a norm. Now, this comes to the purchase. If rumour starts that a particular watch model is discontinued and a sales person informed so, to a customer, and the customer buys that watch to realise later that it was not discontinued, then how? Can seek redress legally?

Anyone like to try?

I would bet that in a city like Singapore where a lot of livelihoods are based on sales of high end products to locals and tourists alike, I beleive you could easily win the case but I would suspect the AD would want to settle out of court the day before the trial starts.

Comment

Originally posted by hikaru33 View Post
                    Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but I am curious about one thing....

Why is it that of lately, there is no new PAM112 on the market? Instead I see a lot of PAM000?

The AD at Marina Bay Sands had the check to tell me that 112 is discontinued.....I had the shock of my life......
                    There's a 112 for sale here>>http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=44636
                    1 3 5
                    ├┼┼╕
                    2 4 6 R

Comment

Well, I like to think that me being very very new to the scene of watch buying, they won't sell these popular Panerai to a walk in customer like me. So I guess there are 112s around but its just not my fate to own one yet....
                      I would say the girl could be new and her colleague does not have good knowledge of pams, cos the people i deal with has been honest to me since the first time i dealt with them so shld be pretty alright de or a misunderstanding ya
                      Check out my Amateur Watch Blog @ http://parte-di-tempo.blogspot.sg/

tsetse the fly hard to make more $$$ so can buy more timepieces

Comment

Yeah.....with Marine Bay Sand being a rather new AD and what not.....

Comment

Yeah.....with Marine Bay Sand being a rather new AD and what not.....
                          Yup thats correct!!!!

Comment

Bingo

Comment

Actually when visiting any retail shops, not only watch shops, it also depends on your luck when enquiring anything with the sales person. If the sales person don like you, don tink you will buy or the sales person bad mood or the sales person simply doesnt know anything, you will have a negative shopping experience.

I have went to a few watch ADs and subject to negative service as well. For eg. Sorry Sir, this watch has been FULLY paid by a customer so you cannot view the watch and the sales girl emphasized FULLY paid....

Some will say oh no discount @ all, you can ask around, nobody gives discount for this watch.

There are also some that will say, unless you are buying else cannot view cos their boss will scold la, or say previous experience of a walkin customer that didnt buy but view then accidentally scratched the watch while trying it on, etc.

These are the kinda negative scenarios that are normally encountered. Of cos there are alot of Positive Experiences as well. So it all depends on luck I would say. Sometimes you go out and find alot of things not going well for U or meet some very rude and uncouth ppl, sometimes you meet very nice ppl. So try another AD or branch, you may meet someone U you like and the sales person gives U very good service.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X