No announcement yet.

New Pam Owner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As promised to Arcfire, here's my 3rd and possibly the last strap for 2014. I can't possibly buy straps for my wife only so here's mine from Panerai Florence!

Calf Strap - is it the Assolutamente one because in my receipt, it is shown as something else??!!

Love how the calf leather "change" colour when you stress it by bending the strap.

And finally mounted on the 351 (loves how the strap colour compliments the hands!)

Apologies for not showing more exotic straps but these are the first 3 straps from Panerai that I thought I would never purchase, due to the fact that they are standard straps and not customised ones!

Happy strap hunting!!

Comment

• Originally posted by shuseido View Post
      Ocean bro, let's see if I can help abit.

1. Which type of buckle is more comfortable to wear; in comparison between sewn-in straight buckles and screw-in curved types? I observed that those sewn-in straight buckles seem to protrude outwards?

I prefer screw-in buckles anytime. So, can change if I wish. There are many interesting buckles out there with different designs. With sewn-in buckle, your strap have to stick with it till end of it's life. LOL...

If just to answer your question, comfortable to wear, both not much difference. You are right that sewn-in straight buckles will protrude outwards more, much more. Hee hee… But it gives more vintage feel. My personal opinion. Will see if I can take the picture of the protruding part tonight.

2. Is it better to use metal tubes for the straps or do without? What's the pros and cons? I heard those metal tubes will scratched the inner lugs over time?

Tubes may not be used on certain Radiomir models due to the lug’s design. Better or not to be used, sometime depends on the strap also. For Pam models without quick release, the strap without tubes might get un-screwed unknowingly due to the narrow hole. It happened to me once! Luckily I noticed it before the screw totally dropped off.

Another pro is, easier for the screws to get thru the strap. You might accidentally “injured” the inner strap while pushing the screws thru if the hole is too narrow.
      Normally, tubes are designed with 0.5mm shorter, so to avoid scratching the inner lugs. However, your concern above is true. Inner lugs might still get scratched.

3. From your experience of having owned and used so many straps of various brands, which brand(s) in particular will you recommend and why?

74 serie from Malio.. lovely! :P
      Originally posted by azrielsc View Post
      Great comments from Shuseido! Let me see if I can add on to his comments:

1. Which type of buckle is more comfortable to wear; in comparison between sewn-in straight buckles and screw-in curved types? I observed that those sewn-in straight buckles seem to protrude outwards?

I don't feel that there is a comfort difference between the different buckles designs because if you notice, the buckle does not actually touch your wrist at all. I believe it is all about the looks.

a. The curved ones will "hug" the curvature of the strap around your wrist, giving it a more flushed look. And you can get to swap the buckles to your liking!

b. For the flat-sewn in buckle, yes, it sticks out a bit since it is flat. But the cool thing is that you can customise it a bit by engraving something on the underside, like what I did for this brass buckle, my wedding anniversary date.

Like what Shuseido mentioned, the flat-sewn in buckle is permanently attached to the strap so you can't change it without destroying your strap.

2. Is it better to use metal tubes for the straps or do without? What's the pros and cons? I heard those metal tubes will scratched the inner lugs over time?

Metal tubes are great and there have been discussions about the wear and tear of NOT having any tubes vs having tubes. I generally use tubes except for certain straps that I am using spring bars instead of screws for my Pams that do not have the quick-strap release mechanisms. The reason behind it is that the spring bars are already quite fat so they cannot be inserted into the metal tubes. I don't bother if there are scratches on the inner lugs, to be honest.

3. From your experience of having owned and used so many straps of various brands, which brand(s) in particular will you recommend and why?

Hmm... tough question!

One common request that I always tell the strap maker is to not punch any holes. So when I receive the straps, I will try it out and then punch the hole myself. In this way, my strap will fit me PERFECTLY, unless I screw up my hole punching! The reason behind this is that every strap, regardless if it is from the same strapmaker, is different. Different in its thickness most of the time. So due to the thickness, the buckling hole distance from the lug end changes, if you get what I mean.

I love all the straps that I have made, but generally, there are some strapmakers that I would go for because of their particular hides that they have! Like:

a: Paneray for their exotic croc/alligator straps.
      b. Distressed leather: Gunny, Malio
      c. Maddog for exotic and funky skins like elephant (which I insist that it comes with its CITES cert so I know that the hides are legally bought)
      d. SNPR: Some spectacular leather designs

For those that are in my collection which I did not mention, it does not mean that the other straps are of sub-standard, but I don't want to bore everyone with my entire listing (not that I have a lot though)! There are so many strapmakers out there which I really want to try but of course, money no enough!

I guess the best way is to know exactly what you want and convey it to the strapmaker. I usually have a 10+ point request template which I will inform the strapmaker:
      • Type of leather/skin and colour
      • Length of strap
      • Padded?
      • Width of strap (same width of strap or tapered
      • Tail design (Long/short tapered or straight cut)
      • Stitching colour
      • Stitching design (open, box (closed) or stitchless)
      • Edge design (Raw or burnished)
      • Type of buckle (polished/bronze/brushed/PVD/etc)
      • No of keepers (both floating/one fixed and one floating)/thickness and colour of keepers
      • No of punched holes/no holes
      • Signature or stamp of strapmaker
      • And any other requisites you want in a strap

With this list, the strapmaker cannot go wrong! And if he does, usually he will redo a new one for you as a FOC replacement. This has only occurred to me once. It also makes it easy for him as your instructions will be clear and concise. And importantly, do not rush him! All of my straps take 6-8 weeks to make and deliver so being patient is definitely a virtue!

I hope my ramblings answer your questions! And happy strap hunting!

OMG .. What have I done to myself

ok..ok kidding la

Thank you Mr shuseido and Mr azrielsc . I appreciate your in-depth sharing and advices . And those nice photos of yours . In fact, from shuseido's photo, I am more assured that it is fine to have a sewn-in buckle leather strap . Guess it should not be uncomfortable after all . I'll probably start 'hunting' for a(few) good strap for my watch.

Thank you
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post

ok..ok kidding la

Thank you Mr shuseido and Mr azrielsc . I appreciate your in-depth sharing and advices . And those nice photos of yours . In fact, from shuseido's photo, I am more assured that it is fine to have a sewn-in buckle leather strap . Guess it should not be uncomfortable after all . I'll probably start 'hunting' for a(few) good strap for my watch.

Thank you
        Welcome to the world of straps!

Here's a photo of the my 26mm sewn-in GPF Mod-Dep buckle!

There really is no reason not to get a sewn-in buckle...

Comment

• Originally posted by azrielsc View Post
          As promised to Arcfire, here's my 3rd and possibly the last strap for 2014. I can't possibly buy straps for my wife only so here's mine from Panerai Florence!

Calf Strap - is it the Assolutamente one because in my receipt, it is shown as something else??!!

Love how the calf leather "change" colour when you stress it by bending the strap.

And finally mounted on the 351 (loves how the strap colour compliments the hands!)

Apologies for not showing more exotic straps but these are the first 3 straps from Panerai that I thought I would never purchase, due to the fact that they are standard straps and not customised ones!

Happy strap hunting!!
          I blame you for the recent decrease in weight and thickness of my wallet....

Not long after receiving 2 straps from my black friday sale purchase, I've just went and got myself another 2......

Now I need to hunt for a strap case..... Oh gawd... what have you done to me?!?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post

ok..ok kidding la

Thank you
            You are most welcome Ocean bro.

Sewn-in or not, in the end, you will have at least each type of buckles once! LOL... Happy strap hunting!

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcfire View Post
              I blame you for the recent decrease in weight and thickness of my wallet....

Not long after receiving 2 straps from my black friday sale purchase, I've just went and got myself another 2......

Now I need to hunt for a strap case..... Oh gawd... what have you done to me?!?!?!
              Go and read my past posts in this thread.... I showed 2 kinds of strap cases that I currently have!!

Poison!

Comment

As promised to Arcfire, here's my 3rd and possibly the last strap for 2014. I can't possibly buy straps for my wife only so here's mine from Panerai Florence!

Happy strap hunting!!
                Azrielsc bro, this is indeed the famous "Assolutamente" if I am not wrong. It is same as the one came with my 422.

Comment

• Originally posted by shuseido View Post
                  Azrielsc bro, this is indeed the famous "Assolutamente" if I am not wrong. It is same as the one came with my 422.
                  Really? Oh cool! I think after conversion and VAT refund, cost me S$260. Happy! Now it goes into my strap case, hopefully not forgotten though.

Thanks Shuseido Sir!

Comment

Really? Oh cool! I think after conversion and VAT refund, cost me S$260. Happy! Now it goes into my strap case, hopefully not forgotten though.

Thanks Shuseido Sir!
                    Good price! Enjoy it!

Comment

• After reading few pages of straps post.. Gain lots of tips from everyone here. Now straps shopping.. But looks like also spoilt with choices...

Comment

• Originally posted by silverkay View Post
                        After reading few pages of straps post.. Gain lots of tips from everyone here. Now straps shopping.. But looks like also spoilt with choices...
                        Yes, ain't it great!! So many choices to choose from and if you have an idea, you can get it customised!

Comment

Yes, ain't it great!! So many choices to choose from and if you have an idea, you can get it customised!
                          Not so great for the wallet, oh strap god......

My wife has started questioning my new acquisitions....

Comment

• Cool strap

Comment

• Okay okay... I know that I was "away" for a long 6 months without a strap...

So anyway, wifey has requested for another strap to match another bag acquisition so I had to order!

Paneray Blue Nile Gator V Horns Strap

115/63mm, 24/24mm, royal blue open stitching with single wide keeper, burnished edges, no holes punched

There are 2 holes, one for wifey's wrist and the other hole for my mum, who loves to swap watches/bags with my wife.

It has a bit of greenish tint to the edges of the scales when you bend the strap

Please excuse the dusty lightbox. It has been a while since I last used it for strap photo taking!

Cheerio!
                              Last edited by azrielsc; 21-07-15, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X