X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by limkun24 View Post
    Dear peeps,

I just registered to this forum for only one reason. I am intending to propose to my gf with a watch instead of a convection ring, as this engagement gift would be timeless for her. As such, i have no idea where to start off with. We happened to pass by the Raffles City Rolex shop and one rolex caught her eye, the dial instead of numbers are flowers on it. I would like to check the prices at the boutique are fixed or able to get some discount?

Secondly, how is rolex comparable to the other brands in the market, i know rolex has been in the mkt for quite a while. Saying that, i only set aside 8-10k for an engagement watch for her, are there any other "flower" patterned rolex in the market.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
    My wife loves the flower patterned rolex too... I have no idea how much that cost. Maybe someone here can help.
    Luckily my wife preferred the no diamond version.
    Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to afford one yet... or rather, I would only get one for her once I got one for myself!! lol
    As for myself, I am drooling over a black dialed exp2 16570 and hope to own it one day.
    I know exp2 is not everyones cup of tea but so far it's the only rolex that sings to me...

Comment

• Originally posted by hanz079 View Post
      My wife loves the flower patterned rolex too... I have no idea how much that cost. Maybe someone here can help.
      Luckily my wife preferred the no diamond version.
      Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to afford one yet... or rather, I would only get one for her once I got one for myself!! lol
      As for myself, I am drooling over a black dialed exp2 16570 and hope to own it one day.
      I know exp2 is not everyones cup of tea but so far it's the only rolex that sings to me...
      for datejust i think will be max 15% from AD. my wife also aim the datejust brown face flower diamond marker with oyster bracelet. the last round was 19k and i have seen pre-owned around 16k.

Comment

• Originally posted by limkun24 View Post
        Dear peeps,

I just registered to this forum for only one reason. I am intending to propose to my gf with a watch instead of a convection ring, as this engagement gift would be timeless for her. As such, i have no idea where to start off with. We happened to pass by the Raffles City Rolex shop and one rolex caught her eye, the dial instead of numbers are flowers on it. I would like to check the prices at the boutique are fixed or able to get some discount?

Secondly, how is rolex comparable to the other brands in the market, i know rolex has been in the mkt for quite a while. Saying that, i only set aside 8-10k for an engagement watch for her, are there any other "flower" patterned rolex in the market.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
        Just got the floral face with diamond bazel and pink gold, list price before the 1 Jul price hike was $14896 and after 1 Jul, $15680.

Comment

• love the bezel.... very unique!
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

• Originally posted by triton View Post
            i have noticed that every once in awhile, someone will post questions such as

which rolex model should i buy? which has got better investment value?

if you can answer some of these questions, then you may have the answer

1) buying for who?
            2) to please oneself?
            3) is investment value an important factor? if yes, then just buy the daytona.

which model should i buy. you need to ask yourself why you want to buy a particular model. is it for investment purpose?

if it is not for investment purpose, then you need to ask urself, you buying this watch to please yourself? to show to others aka please someone else.

if it is to please someone else, then just anyhow buy a model can already.

if you asking which rolex has investment value? currently, the daytona tops the list. other models are depending on demand and supply. also dependent on other factors such as if a movie star was wearing that model.

how about other models such as a discontinued 16710? if there is demand and supply is low, then selling and buying price will be high. how about the new 116710? currently it is selling above premium price because supply is lower than demand. so now, it seems like a good investment value. however, when supply increase, price will be lowered. hence investment value drops.
            Congratulations! Well said...

Comment

• Hi rolex collectors,
              I have been reading through this thread and learned quite a fair bit about the brand
              but I still have a question to ask hope this is not too brunt.
              I know that for preowned watch, the price will depreciate as the years passed.
              Depending on the demand and condition, this will determine how amount of depreciation.
              But is there such a thing as a watch that will appreciate as time passed?
              I know this may subject to market demand and the production numbers.
              But is there such thing as gauranteered appreciation?
              Such as a prestige mercedees or sports car that will appreciate in value over time?

Comment

• guaranteed appreciation. yes. of course. my explorer II bought 20 years ago cost 3k. now i can sell for about 4.5k. but if you factor in the inflation rate. i can guarantee you that the increased in value has been eroded.

Originally posted by microseconds View Post
                Hi rolex collectors,
                But is there such thing as guaranteed appreciation?
                Such as a prestige Mercedes or sports car that will appreciate in value over time?
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

• Hi Rockdaman,
                  Can recommend your AD to me?
                  I am looking for a datejust, the one with 12 diamond on the surface.
                  Dunno what its called.
                  Hoping to get one from a AD which can give good discount.
                  I am willing to pay cash.
                  Thanks so much.

Comment

• Hi all,
                    I am looking at buying my first Rolex. Don't know anything about it. And as I read through the threads, get really confused. I have recently seen an advertisement showing a model with light blue face, and steel strap. This one looks nice, I was wondering how much it might cost. I am looking at a most basic Rolex model. Can anyone help please? Many thanks.

Comment

• Any body bought any watches from Png Watch Dealers? Used to be located at Beach Road and recently moved to Selegie?
                      My madness so far:

Omega 2254.50

Pam 112 'N' Series
                      Pam 305 'O'Series
                      Rolex 6694
                      Rolex GMT 2 9 Million Series aka "FAT LADY"
                      Rolex Exp I 'Z' Series 114270
                      Rolex Exp II 'F' Series 16570
                      Rolex Sub 'V' Series 16610

Rolex Sub ND 'AN' Series 14060M
                      Rolex Milgauss GV 'M' Series
                      Rolex Milgauss White 'M' Series

Sinn U1 SDR
                      Seiko Darth Tuna SBDX011
                      Ball Deepquest
                      JLC Navy Seal diver 42mm

Comment

• hi everyone,
                        wanting to get the wife a Rolex watch. our budget is around SGD7k. we looked around and kinda eyeing 179160 of RP SGD7840 (at Vivo) with 10% discount off. Watch Arena (Balestier) quoted 20% off (cash). any advice/experience (buying from Watch Arena) etc is appreciated. thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by teebengchong View Post
                          hi everyone,
                          wanting to get the wife a Rolex watch. our budget is around SGD7k. we looked around and kinda eyeing 179160 of RP SGD7840 (at Vivo) with 10% discount off. Watch Arena (Balestier) quoted 20% off (cash). any advice/experience (buying from Watch Arena) etc is appreciated. thanks.
                          With both watches being equal, and if paying in cash is no problem for you, the offer by Watch Arena is more worthy. There should be no issue with Watch Arena.

Good luck
                          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• hi Nim, Oceanklassik,
                            thanks very much for the advice. appreciate it. called up Watch Arena, it'll be brand new and no back-dated warranty card. international 2-year warranty. the guy told me name to be inserted on the warranty card if i choose to. hmm ")

thanks again.

best regards,
                            tee

Comment

• Originally posted by minusplus View Post
                              More info for fellow forumers. Extracted from "Tapestry of Time"...

"The Great Commandment is "Buy what you love". This comes about because some folks post questions like "which watch should I get?" or "which is better between X vs Y?"... "help me choose between A, B and C" etc etc etc

What is the preferred watch for someone else has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what would be the preferred or optimal watch for you. This extends to all other areas where taste or subjectivity comes into play yuh not just watches So the following advice is purely

to aid you in coming to the right decision for yourself. From time to time I will add to this when I attain greater enlightenment or when i do get down to it...

So what is the right watch for you?
                              What do you normally get up to during the week and weekends? Do you intend to buy multiple watches or are you looking for one that can cover it all?

Assess these factors:
                              - Do you want to wear the watch for your typical work days or is it for the weekend or specific activity or is it the one watch for everything?
                              - During your workdays what kind of attire are you in and how active do you get?
                              - If you're getting the watch more for weekend or other activities, then the question is what are these activities? Pulling at the pub, clubbing, diving, swimming, jogging, skiing etc
                              Does the watch you wanna get suit and hold up to all of this?

What is your necessary or preferred features, characteristics of a watch? Must be theres, can live withouts, dislikes...

- External beauty...the look: overall design, the case shape, dial layout and intricacies(guilloche, wordings and whatever is on its face), the type, marriage and quality of its different finishings, look of its numerals(arabics,romans,art deco-ish,) color and look of the hands
                              - Size: tiny, medium, large or a clock on the wrist
                              - Refined or rugged or swings both ways
                              - Certain key functions you are looking for (see appendix at the end of this post)
                              - Prestige or beauty or uniqueness in its inner workings
                              - Story, romanticism, classicism, history
                              - Exclusivity (you want to be the only one you see with it or you like being part of a community or somewhere imbetween)
                              - Hearts desire (Due to seeing it on the wrist of someone you admire or whose opinions you value or very sadly because your hero in some sports, arts or whatever field wears it. Due to being enchanted with the ads and marketing of the watch house. The spell being cast may be strong but this is where it gets most tricky
                              - Fancy things about it, gadgety stuff about it
                              - Price range

Price almost didn't come into play Because my advice here is if you want to get a certain watch and you've set your sights on it as the one for you (noting all my proposed assessment factors to prevent you from ending up with a mistake) then price may be a secondary factor. Of course, don't be eyeing watches that are totally out of your means.

Do consider the family expenses, mortgage, car payments etc before even setting your sights on a potential next acquisition. Don't spend above your means. When they say its an addiction they’re not joking.

If price is the key factor though, the suggestion is do not buy a cheaper watch instead of the one you would really like to get. Saving it up is best, credit can be bad if abused.

And resale price is a consideration only if you think you may be making a mistake on your purchase(which no one does at the time they make the purchase decision) and may sell it further down the road or you know you are definitely selling it down the road or may want to liquidate it for a rainy day.

Try not to believe the hype (well not all of it anyways
                              The game is luxury. Watch houses push
                              - exclusivity: limited editions, limited productions, prohibitive prices
                              - innovation: new materials, new combinations of different materials, new escapements, new in-house movements with X amount of power reserve and special features and the list goes on, technical superiority
                              - uniqueness: uniqueniss of the design, of the movement (inhouse or rare) or uniqueness of any part of the movement related to the watch. Uniqueness of the brand and of the watch history which can't be made up in a flash

Beware marketing ploys

With limited editions, ask yourself this. Is it made out of a
                              material that’s so scarce that they can't source for it anymore and therefore hv 2 limit it? Does it house a movement that will no longer be supplied and they have to limit it? Does it contain special parts that the watch company can't make any of without incurring ridiculous costs?
                              Never buy a watch without seeing it in the metal
                              ... unless you have or handled similar examples and know what exactly to expect; from heft to how it feels and looks on your wrist, to how you look with it on. No ad pics or beautifully taken pictures on some forum will be able to give that to you.

If it doesn't feel like you need to have it, then you probably don’t. If you’re not sure, step away. You can always reconsider and get it another day (except if its a problematic limited edition then its buy or potentially not have the watch or get it later at a possibly higher price or for limited production pieces you could possibly have to wait a few months.

Note, some watch houses do this so that this opportunity to pause and contemplate further before a purchase decision is taken away from you. You feel that if you don’t make the decision now, what you hold in your hand might escape from you. Some sellers are also guilty of doing this, saying that if you don’t get it they have a ready buyer.

Get what is a classic beauty to you
                              If you intend to buy and keep your watches, then buy what is a classic beauty for you. Look at it and ask yourself if you think you will like it 5, 10, 50 years from now. You can’t see the future and what the watch trends may be but some designs can go the distance. So ask yourself if this next acquisition is a classic beauty for me that I find beautiful today, will find beautiful 10 years from now and still beautiful 50 years from now.

Timing it. Don’t rush if possible. Don’t buy on impulse.

Post purchase – when the hunt is over. Enjoy your acquisition. Post pictures on various forums as well if thats your thing. As with all purchases, don't go around seeing if you got it at the best possible price. Just make sure you did your research beforehand and you got it at a sensible price at that point in time. If its reasonable and you were fine paying so much for it at the time, don’t sour it by looking at the grey market piece that pops up a week later going for 10% less than what you paid.

My advice to watch makers and watch houses and conglomerates – Treat your customers with respect. Don’t forego the loyalty built up with the current stable to get new ones. Don’t abuse them. The relationship should be one based on mutual respect or its not going to work now is it.

Eg. Don’t tell me an outsourced movement is in-house. Don’t tell me its limited edition and then issue another watch that’s only slightly different. Don't tell me its Swiss made and house a russian movement inside Don’t make fools of your buyers. Hopefully the advice here will aid in the watch buyer out there in making a better choice.
                              I hope you have found this advice to be of value to you in your hunt or search for the next piece."
                              a well written piece that i only managed to come across and read now.

sums it all up nicely

Comment

• Need some advice from the seniors.
                                Am in the process of getting a pre-owned rolex watch from the forum.
                                If let's say all other things being equal, 1 watch with overseas AD paper and 1 with local AD papers, which will you get?
                                Will the AD papers affect resale? Thank you.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X