Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, for those who have bought pre-owned from AD or non-AD, to get the peace of mind, you can send to RSC for authentication. This is how you do it for FREE:

Go to RSC. Look for the oldest female service staff you can find (i.e. more than 50 years old). That auntie will tell you there is no need for authentication, its nothing but just a peice of paper, blah, blah, blah......

Tell her to give you a service quote. She will grudgingly send the watch into the jnr techkie in the 'fishbowl', but not before telling you that they take absolutely no responsibility if they open the case and it stop, blah, blah, blah......

After the techkie is done, (unless your Rolex is manufactured in the last 5-7 years), she will come back with a list of things that needs changing. Then she will calculate the 'total damage' (her actual words) it will do to your wallet, blah, blah, blah....and she shows you how a good, recent Rolex should be (she wears a late model DJ).

You node knowingly and then.......

Tell her in a firm voice "Thank You" and you won't be needing the recommended repairs. She will send the watch back to the techkie and they put the bracelet/strap and case back together and return to you. You get a FREE authentication. But remember to get the most 'vintage' service staff you can find. Oh, correction, antique. Vintage is 20-80 years old. Antique is more than 100 years old.

I sent my 16013 in sometime back and they recommended me to change 1) the case, 2) the case back, 3) dial and 4) hands. Oh, crown is mandatory to ensure water tightness and included in the cost of the case change.

I thought to myself - wah lau, change case, back, dial and hands - what's left is not original anymore, no value left. But on the other hand, I get a brand new DJ for 1/4 the retail price of a new DJ.

And BTW, you can go back with the same watch and each time there will be different diagnosis (recommended changes). So the techkie in RSC is not consistent.

And they did not tell me my aftermarket acrylic crystal is not original Rolex.

Go figure.

Comment

• it is hard to tell the difference. that is one of the reason why they have the eteched rolex crown on the glass now.

Originally posted by Uncle Ricky View Post
      And they did not tell me my aftermarket acrylic crystal is not original Rolex.

Go figure.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

• Well I think it's not impossible...

Should be able to tell from the cyclops

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

• hi chums, i'm a little curious. would opening the caseback have any adverse effect to the movement? i read somewhere just now that movements are encased in vacuum prior to leaving the factory and frequent unscrewing of the crown could be detrimental to the watch. come think of it, it does make some sense taking our humid atmospheric conditions into consideration. any bros with any views on this?
          Remnants of my irresponsibility:
          "Foreign affections"
          1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
          2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
          3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
          4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
          What's NEXT?

Comment

• They can easily do a test on it...so no worries

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
              Well I think it's not impossible...

Should be able to tell from the cyclops
              i think it is a combination of the cyclops and font of the date wheel. sometimes you can play with the cyclops via the font.
              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
              Blue 6694
              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

• i understand that a test can be done on the watch but how about creating the vacuum within the watch. dun think the technicians at rsc can do that rite?

btw darkie, very nice avatar u got
                "Foreign affections"
                1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
                What's NEXT?

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfgUuOz6_Y

Here's how it's done

Thanks

Comment

• no vacuum at all......
                    the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
                    visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

• Originally posted by ohlins View Post
                      no vacuum at all......
                      I think he probably misunderstood it bonk:

Comment

• thanks for the link.
                        "Foreign affections"
                        1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
                        What's NEXT?

Comment

• since we are in the topic of verification at RSC, i would like to ask a noob question. If i m bringing a BNIB watch for verification, like what some bros have mentioned, RSC will open up and check but will not hold responsibility if water proofing is damage. Can i assume in this case since its BNIB, RSC still have to check the water proofing FOC as servicing after verification since its still under warranty? Or servicing is a separate charge regardless if your watch is under warranty?

Comment

• Hope my reply in red below helps..
                            Originally posted by yeshe View Post
                            since we are in the topic of verification at RSC, i would like to ask a noob question. If i m bringing a BNIB watch for verification, like what some bros have mentioned, RSC will open up and check but will not hold responsibility if water proofing is damage. YES.. but I reckon in an event when your watch do get water into the mechanism and with a warranty card stating its less than a year, it should be covered by the warranty Can i assume in this case since its BNIB, RSC still have to check the water proofing FOC as servicing after verification since its still under warranty? Nope.. they won't! I've seen them through the glass panel when my watch was verified and I was the only guy there, the other technicians / engineers are just talking while only 1 of them worked.. I followed the process with my eyes and after that, they just go to the bench behind to close the back case...Or servicing is a separate charge regardless if your watch is under warranty?I am under the impression that servicing is a separate thing to your warranty... While under warranty, there is no such thing as FOC servicing...

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                            - GMT II
                            - GMT IIc TT
                            - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                            - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                            - U1
                            - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

• wow.. so its like paying $75 and maybe end up having extra problem on your BNIB watch. Does warranty cover water proofing btw? Or maybe i can try to be funny, bring in a BNIB watch and ask them for a quote for servicing? then in that case, they have to check everything for me at the same time verification??

Comment

• For me very simple...buy a BNIB = practically no worries

If I were you...I would save the $75 and treat myself to something nice.

With that being said...of course you may feel that $75 give you a peace of your mind...then go ahead. But from wad I see....even if you were to pay $75 you still worry haha...might as well dun pay.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X