Rolex...ah Beng or Uncle Watch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex...ah Beng or Uncle Watch.

In Singapore, there are 2 groups of people with different perception and think of Rolex is belongs to Ah Beng or uncle watch.

What do you guys think of this statement, ever heard of this and what is your thought?

I came from the other non rolex forum, I brought out the word "Rolex", all the ah beng and uncle comes after me

I am thinking...in other countries, are these people exist or they have diferrent perception as well

I am a Rolex supporter and definitely NO such thinking. To me it's straight and simple...."just a watch" to tell TIME and probably could hold the value better.

Cheerio,
    yes
    23.46%
    no
    76.54%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by ^Lee^ View Post
    In Singapore, there are 2 groups of people with different perception and think of Rolex is belongs to Ah Beng or uncle watch.

What do you guys think of this statement, ever heard of this and what is your thought?

I came from the other non rolex forum, I brought out the word "Rolex", all the ah beng and uncle comes after me

I am thinking...in other countries, are these people exist or they have diferrent perception as well

I am a Rolex supporter and definitely NO such thinking. To me it's straight and simple...."just a watch" to tell TIME and probably could hold the value better.

Cheerio,

I think those people who think that way, will be surprised by the number of younger generation PMEBs who are really into Rolex. Somehow the common perception is slanted towards the uncles and ah bengs, but the number of executives and white-collar types who are into it is also very high.

Comment

It all depends on what you choose to believe and who you wana listen to.

Rolex has its history and repute.. and as you've correctly stated, holds value better than most watches... Uncle, Ah Beng, well, no one can stop them from buying any watch they want right?

The most important point is the image of yrself that you cast on the watch you are wearing that makes the ultimate statement.. not what others think.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
      - GMT II
      - GMT IIc TT
      - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
      - Master Eight Days (1608420)
      - U1
      - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Wat u'v mentioned is nt new. Thre's a particular generation here in S'pore/small population, who thinks tat ROLEX is an "Ah Pek/Uncle" brand. I've a friend in his mid to late 30s who told me that when his dad-in-law was soon passing away, he wanted to give away his few ROLEX watches. So he gave one to my friend's wife(old man's daughter) n asked him to choose one. To my surprise, my friend did nt want any n commented tat it was too "ah pek". He did nt even realise te "hidden" value in it.

Btw, this friend of mine owns a TAGh and a Breitling.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

just like benz...u think it's uncles who drive it? not really...right? we've PMEBs driving benz too...

i wld say educated ah beng like me wear rolex...hahaaaa....am a new generation....

cheers

james
          I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
          A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
          Audemars Piguet ROO
          Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
          De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
          Habring2 Pilot Time Date
          Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
          Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
          IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
          Panerai 270
          Patek Philippe 5711/1a
          Rolex 116610LV
          Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
            just like benz...u think it's uncles who drive it? not really...right? we've PMEBs driving benz too...

i wld say educated ah beng like me wear rolex...hahaaaa....am a new generation....

cheers

james
            Oops! Yes le. BENz's for uncles, and sometimes aunties..
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lee^ View Post

Cheerio,
              Man I love this kinda topics

Ok,in asian countries especially the chinese,they love to wear Rolex. It has since been a "towkay" watch,which only the richer ppl could afford aka STATUS SYMBOL. These "uncles,ah peks" worked all their life,once they get this kind called their CPF,hahaha...got money in hand before they kick the bucket they want to enjoy that luxury in life that many can't.

So ever since this trend came about,the TT datejust and solid gold DJ/DD was the bestseller in the asian market. Chinese LOVE gold,esp the older generation...so definitely they will get the models made of gold,if it's within their means.

Ah bengs wise,I think I would only say the older generation would be those that drive the market. Lesser of the younger generation,these days ah bengs all punk 1 dun like gold. The older ones still believe,gold holds value and Rolex watches too.

It maybe something common for ah peks,uncles to wear them,but I don't hope this image spoils the beauty of the watch. In the recent years, the sports series have been popular with the white collar coolies..so the trend is here again. This shows,Rolex is TIMELESS,they have a watch for everyone every generation.

For me,I am a young owner,you slowly go find out how old I am GUYS Dont't tell him. hahaha...anyway,I am one of the very rare ones at my age who know how to appreciate and really love Rolex watches,some just buy for the brand but I know I m diff. So...to me I NEVER believe Rolex is a uncle watch

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Young uncle lor..
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

i would not say it is towkay or along that line.

i would say the current generation of 50s and above wear rolex is to show that they have "made it" in life. so they wear rolex and drive mercedes.

this perception has been pass on from one generation to the next. so we are more inclined to associate rolex and mercedes to this group of people

it is the same as driving a BMW which is associated with the yuppies generation.

however, perception has changed. people who still associate mercedes and rolex to the businessman need to see things in a different light.

i wear a rolex and drive mercedes, does that mean im uncle or ah beng? :-)
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                    Man I love this kinda topics

Ok,in asian countries especially the chinese,they love to wear Rolex. It has since been a "towkay" watch,which only the richer ppl could afford aka STATUS SYMBOL. These "uncles,ah peks" worked all their life,once they get this kind called their CPF,hahaha...got money in hand before they kick the bucket they want to enjoy that luxury in life that many can't.

So ever since this trend came about,the TT datejust and solid gold DJ/DD was the bestseller in the asian market. Chinese LOVE gold,esp the older generation...so definitely they will get the models made of gold,if it's within their means.
                    Agree with Darkie. At the end of the day, I guess it's all gotta do with preception.

To be frank, I can't be bothered what others think about it. Call me Ah beng or Uncle or anything you like. More importantly, I wear what's comfortable and what I think looks good on me
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                      Young uncle lor..

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post

i would say the current generation of 50s and above wear rolex is to show that they have "made it" in life. so they wear rolex and drive mercedes.

this perception has been pass on from one generation to the next. so we are more inclined to associate rolex and mercedes to this group of people

it is the same as driving a BMW which is associated with the yuppies generation.

however, perception has changed. people who still associate mercedes and rolex to the businessman need to see things in a different light.

i wear a rolex and drive mercedes, does that mean im uncle or ah beng? :-)
                        Those kind are stereotype 1...

Comment

Originally posted by minusplus View Post
                          Agree with Darkie. At the end of the day, I guess it's all gotta do with preception.

To be frank, I can't be bothered what others think about it. Call me Ah beng or Uncle or anything you like. More importantly, I wear what's comfortable and what I think looks good on me
                          I agree...you happy can liao...who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post

It used to be la...hahaha...now all change liaos

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

It maybe something common for ah peks,uncles to wear them,but I don't hope this image spoils the beauty of the watch. In the recent years, the sports series have been popular with the white collar coolies..so the trend is here again. This shows,Rolex is TIMELESS,they have a watch for everyone every generation.
                              One of the main reasons why younger generation white collar coolies prefer the sports series is because they think the datjust/daydate models looks uncle mah. I've heard this direct from quite a few sports series owners.
                              Submariner 14060
                              Breitling Colt Auto II
                              Chopard Mille Miglia GMT
                              Bell & Ross BR03-92
                              MM20

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X