Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please - GMT II or Explorer II or Sub as a gift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please - GMT II or Explorer II or Sub as a gift?

Hi everyone

Would appreciate any advice you can possibly give between the 3 models listed below? I am thinking of getting it as a bday present for my hubby to be.

1. Explorer II - black face (Quoted S$7.3k at Suntec)
    2. GMT II 16710B Pepsi with 3186 (I see someone fm forum selling for $9.5k - is that a good price?)
    3. Submariner 16610 (I see from the list price that it's one of the few other sporty watches within my budget).

As it's a surprise gift, i can't actually go ask my fiance about his preference. Would you be able to offer any advice on the value of the watches I'd shortlisted above?

Also, as you can tell that i'm kinda clueless about rolex purchases, why do people have BNIB watches for sale? Does it mean that it was bought as an investment initially? If so, amongst the 3 listed, are any of them potentially good for investment, especially if he doesn't like the model i'd gotten him? *crossing fingers*

I see people recommending the watch shops at Lucky Plaza. I'm thinking of visiting the place there but is there any shop in particular you'd recommend? Please feel free to PM me if it's inconvenient to mention their names publicly.

Thank you so much in advance!

Buy BNIB from the sellers...cheaper

No la...it does not mean it's bought as an investment...some of them are Parallel Importers or they buy and they dun like...

It's hard to tell you which 1 has potential...it's like you ask me which share will go up..my opinion is different from others for sure. Most impt...buy wad you like

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

It's very individual choice/preference. I'd personally go for the Sub first, then the Gmt followed by te Exp2 (of course if price is nt an issue to me). It's my preference. My advice is u try to get sme hints frm him using any discreet method n walk te ground to ask those shops. Then make ur choice n go for it. If u'd like company to visit those shops, do drop me a PM..
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Thank you both, shi fus.

I am swayed towards the Sub and the GMT II personally. But of course, the Explorer II is nicest on the pockets.

What would be a good price for the Sub?

Comment

Your best bet? Buy all

Hehehehe...good price for sub...if you can get it BNIB at around 7k+ should be pretty good

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Wow, if my gf / fiancee can make me a rolex, i will be the happiest guy in the world...
            Rolex Submariner Z series

Comment

I will go for the sub or ExpII... safest bet is Sub... He might be shocked wearing a Blue/Red Rolex for the first time.....

Comment

First of all, you need to set a budget then look @ what watches is available to you. I dont see a point stretching your budget in this financial turmoil.

next would be whether to buy from AD or reputable resellers. If you from AD, you are ALMOST 100% sure that it is a BNIB and genuine. You can save a trip to Rolex Service Centre to authenticate the watch. If you choose to buy from resellers, then it is ADVISABLE for you to go to RSC to authenticate the watch @ a fee of $75.00.

it is strongly RECOMMENDED that you visit Lucky Plaza's shops there to check and compare the prices they quote you for the particular model. you can check the prices from watch shops such as Watch Palace, The Hour Glass, Tai Hong Hung.

Explorer II can be purchased below 7k from reputable resellers here. some even offered 6400. which works out to be almost 900 difference
                GMT II Pepsi is currently being sold @ a premium now. the last done list price is 7555.
                Submariner can be gotten in the region of 7500 from reputable sellers.
                do note that the price quoted above are all BNIB aka Brand New In Box

some sellers advertise their watches as BNIB because they purchased it overseas with the intention to sell @ a profit here. their selling price may or may not be lower than the quoted price from AD here.

i would go on the record that buying a watch may it be rolex or other brands is because u LOVE the watch. if the watch appreciates in value, then good. if you intend to buy a watch for investment purpose, then you would have to get the discontinued 16710 when it was @ list price or below. if you buy it @ 9500 and in hope to make money out of it, chances are slim within the next couple of years. cause i know someone who bought it @ 7000 last year and asking for 9000 now. if u buy it @ 9500 now, you may have to wait quite a long while to make that kind of profit margin.

honestly, if u place a 16710 with 3185 and another with 3186 in front of normal people, i doubt very much they can say the difference. only those who know the wiggle test could possibly tell the difference. in such situation, i would not pay that kind of price just because it is a 3186 movement.

Originally posted by Sugar View Post
                1. Explorer II - black face (Quoted S$7.3k at Suntec)
                2. GMT II 16710B Pepsi with 3186 (I see someone fm forum selling for $9.5k - is that a good price?)
                3. Submariner 16610 (I see from the list price that it's one of the few other sporty watches within my budget).

Would you be able to offer any advice on the value of the watches I'd shortlisted above?

Also, as you can tell that i'm kinda clueless about rolex purchases, why do people have BNIB watches for sale? Does it mean that it was bought as an investment initially? If so, amongst the 3 listed, are any of them potentially good for investment, especially if he doesn't like the model i'd gotten him? *crossing fingers*

I see people recommending the watch shops at Lucky Plaza. I'm thinking of visiting the place there but is there any shop in particular you'd recommend? Please feel free to PM me if it's inconvenient to mention their names publicly.

Thank you so much in advance!
                Last edited by triton; 24-10-08, 07:49 PM.
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Very detail and good info!

Originally posted by triton View Post
                  First of all, you need to set a budget then look @ what watches is available to you. I dont see a point stretching your budget in this financial turmoil.

next would be whether to buy from AD or reputable resellers. If you from AD, you are ALMOST 100% sure that it is a BNIB and genuine. You can save a trip to Rolex Service Centre to authenticate the watch. If you choose to buy from resellers, then it is ADVISABLE for you to go to RSC to authenticate the watch @ a fee of $75.00.

it is strongly RECOMMENDED that you visit Lucky Plaza's shops there to check and compare the prices they quote you for the particular model. you can check the prices from watch shops such as Watch Palace, The Hour Glass, Tai Hong Hung.

Explorer II can be purchased below 7k from reputable resellers here. some even offered 6400. which works out to be almost 900 difference
                  GMT II Pepsi is currently being sold @ a premium now. the last done list price is 7555.

some sellers advertise their watches as BNIB because they purchased it overseas with the intention to sell @ a profit here. their selling price may or may not be lower than the quoted price from AD here.

i would go on the record that buying a watch may it be rolex or other brands is because u LOVE the watch. if the watch appreciates in value, then good. if you intend to buy a watch for investment purpose, then you would have to get the discontinued 16710 when it was @ list price or below. if you buy it @ 9500 and in hope to make money out of it, chances are slim within the next couple of years. cause i know someone who bought it @ 7000 last year and asking for 9000 now. if u buy it @ 9500 now, you may have to wait quite a long while to make that kind of profit margin.

honestly, if u place a 16710 with 3185 and another with 3186 in front of normal people, i doubt very much they can say the difference. only those who know the wiggle test could possibly tell the difference. in such situation, i would not pay that kind of price just because it is a 3186 movement.

Comment

Well put. Clear and concise.

Comment

Thank you to all Rolex masters, in particular to Triton! I really enjoy reading all your advice. I think for a newbie like me who does not even own a Rolex myself, it's really very very informative!

Grateful to all who have posted their comments. Good point - maybe a pepsi colour combination can be a bit shocking for a first time wearer. Hmm....and I'll be paying a huge premium for it.

I do have another silly question though - do ppl buy the submariner because of its functions? As in, is this watch meant more for divers? We are actually still learning swimming.....

Also, I note that between the Sea Dweller 16600 and the Submariner 16610LV, they have the same list price? I can't really tell what's the difference between the 2 watches from the pics on the net. Except that the sea dweller does not have the "magnifying" glass thingy on the date. Is that an important attribute of Rolex watches?

Xie xie and have a nice weekend everyone!

Comment

i cannot say ppl buy sub for its function. honestly speaking even recereational divers who goes diving does not reach that deep. so im more inclined to guess that it is because of its looks possible its thicker case which makes it looks more rugged and intimidating.

hard core divers would get a sea dweller instead as it has a helium valve and its does not have a cyclops.

the sub LV is a special edition watch to commerate its 50th anniversary. the sea dweller has been discontinued. however, i dont recall both having the same list price unless im mistaken.

there are some people who insist that a rolex without cyclops is like ferrari without the prancing horse logo.

however, ur thread title is between a GMT II, explorer II and sub. so i will address some points which i miss in previous post.

explorer II and GMT II both can tell 2 time zones. however the GMT can tell third time zone if you know how to. GMT II has a rotating bezel which explorer II does not. explorer II and the 16710 has similar thickness, however the 116710 has a slightly thicker case.

if you are getting a watch based on budget, then it would be explorer II followed by sub followed by GMT Master II.

if you are getting a watch based on function, then which is the one you need more, dive watch or 2nd time zone.

so if u can answer the 2 questions, you probably end up with one choice.

Originally posted by Sugar View Post
                        I do have another silly question though - do ppl buy the submariner because of its functions? As in, is this watch meant more for divers? We are actually still learning swimming.....

Also, I note that between the Sea Dweller 16600 and the Submariner 16610LV, they have the same list price? I can't really tell what's the difference between the 2 watches from the pics on the net. Except that the sea dweller does not have the "magnifying" glass thingy on the date. Is that an important attribute of Rolex watches?

Xie xie and have a nice weekend everyone!
                        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                        1. subject heading indicating your issue
                        2. your nick
                        3. your corresponding email address
                        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Believe me... sooner or later... u will hv 3 of these watches u mentioned in your collection...
                          There is a very fine line between this "hobby" and "mental illness."

Look on the wife's face when VISA bill arrived, Priceless!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaRolex View Post
                            Believe me... sooner or later... u will hv 3 of these watches u mentioned in your collection...
                            Yes this is what happened to me.
                            Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                            Rolex LV submariner
                            Rolex TT black submariner
                            Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                            Rolex Non date submariner
                            Rolex Explorer2
                            More...

Comment

Haha, the thought of having ALL 3 watches sounds good. Cos that will mean I am a VERY rich lady, like all you guys out here! Am very impressed with your collection!

I will prob stick with the Sub or the Explorer since they are the more affordable units that i can purchase from the ADs directly and cos I don't see anyone selling these watches in this forum.

GMT II may have to be given a miss unless I spot a really good deal! Personally, this is the watch I like best but paying a $2k premium during the current economic meltdown seems a little extravagant. Oh well....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X