No announcement yet.

Rolex verses panerai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like both (Rolex Sports only, and PAM Luminors only) for different reasons, some of them listed above, but primarily because both have very iconic looks that other brands only wish they have. Showcase 2 of my loves...

Of late, I find myself veering towards the PAM. For the larger size, for the ability to mix and match the look using different straps to suit different occasions. But I still give my Rolex wrist time at least once a week cos it just goes with any attire I'm in!

Personally, I find the arguments for or against Pam vs Rolex based on the point on movement (in-house vs modified ETA) a little futile (dun flame me ah, just MHO). I recall, in the not too distant past, Daytona has to rely on Zenith's El Primero movement, where as PAM's innovation is more on the sturdy casing and large (easy to read, glow in the dark) dials that suited Italian Navy. Some vintage Pams even relied on Rolex movements!

I reckon both Rolex and Pam are not trying to pretend they are a true blue manufacture (like JLC, Zenith, VC, etc). Having said that, both brands have taken steps to up the ante and do movements themselves, for some, if not all models. I don't think I will ever see a Rolex with 8 days power reserve or Tourbillon movement, cos that's not what they position themselves to be.

Both try to use their history to their advantage. Yes, Rolex is a bigger brother, but PAM is coming up, that explains in our humble ROC forum, there is a dedicated thread to buy & sell Pams. And the very fact that this thread was even started supports my point. Have a good day folks

Comment

Originally posted by 1248614 View Post
      I like both (Rolex Sports only, and PAM Luminors only) for different reasons, some of them listed above, but primarily because both have very iconic looks that other brands only wish they have. Showcase 2 of my loves...

Of late, I find myself veering towards the PAM. For the larger size, for the ability to mix and match the look using different straps to suit different occasions. But I still give my Rolex wrist time at least once a week cos it just goes with any attire I'm in!

Personally, I find the arguments for or against Pam vs Rolex based on the point on movement (in-house vs modified ETA) a little futile (dun flame me ah, just MHO). I recall, in the not too distant past, Daytona has to rely on Zenith's El Primero movement, where as PAM's innovation is more on the sturdy casing and large (easy to read, glow in the dark) dials that suited Italian Navy. Some vintage Pams even relied on Rolex movements!

I reckon both Rolex and Pam are not trying to pretend they are a true blue manufacture (like JLC, Zenith, VC, etc). Having said that, both brands have taken steps to up the ante and do movements themselves, for some, if not all models. I don't think I will ever see a Rolex with 8 days power reserve or Tourbillon movement, cos that's not what they position themselves to be.

Both try to use their history to their advantage. Yes, Rolex is a bigger brother, but PAM is coming up, that explains in our humble ROC forum, there is a dedicated thread to buy & sell Pams. And the very fact that this thread was even started supports my point. Have a good day folks
      This is what I call a good post

Not meaningless comments or vague/misleading info and then ask people to call the shop/manufacturer to clarify.
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

I feel that both brands are in a class of their own, sometimes things cannot always be put into which one is more "valued", "prized" than the other.

At times I feel like getting a PAM too, but then most of the time after a while, it dies down for me. Maybe because for me, I find that the big watch is a "fashion trend", which will continue to stay but it's hard to keep wearing such a big watch for me.

111 is quite nice though, haha, just scared that I will lose a lot if I get bored of it. :P

Comment

Good post bro! Agreed whole heartly... I do also love both brands... but only Sport models from Rolex and Luminor from Pam...

Just enjoy the watch we like... Both are equally great!

Comment

Both Rolex and Pam are a must have watch for me. I like Rolex sport but Pam is a great daily beater (with it's changable strap and simple outstanding design) for all occasions. You will find PAM great especially when you are late for appts. All you need to do is to change the strap or just go with it's std black rubber strap and you will not go wrong.
            Rolex Smurf 116619LB | Rolex Deepsea 126660 | Rolex Batman 116710BLNR | Rolex Daytona Black 116520 | Rolex Kermit 16610LV | Rolex GMT 2 116718LN Green Dial | Rolex Polar 16570 | Rolex DJ 115200 | AP ROO Montauk Highway | PAM 312 | PAM 425 | Cartier Santos XL | Maurice Lacroix Skeleton MP6258 | Maurice Lacroix PT6187/97

Comment

Thanks fellas, just speaking my mind, hope never offend any of the bros here.

Recently I have to send my GMT 2C to RSC, still under warranty thankfully, the hour hand is not moving although the watch is ticking... so anecdotally, not the sturdiest movement (or maybe I just sweh-sweh lor). But it is repaired now, and the watch still looks swee on my wrist!

Also, when in the market for the Pam, I really wanted the 233, but horror stories of their movement in the initial batches (dot dial) held me back, plus the fact that it is handwound and not auto is a bit of a minus point. It still a handsome watch though. I settled for the Pam 312, still a happy chappy

My other workhorses are the IWC BP, JLC MC Chrono, and Zenith EL Primero Open Chrono... all ticking beautifully... those I feel are pedigree movement. But somehow, the rolex and pam gets more wrist time.... hehehehh

Comment

Beautiful pair bro!

Comment

Lovely....
                  (Big Watch Siao)
                  BALL
                  Rolex
                  Panerai
                  Omega
                  Cartier
                  Panerai
                  IWC

Comment

I guess it's like a case of Mercedes Benz vs BMW. Each of them, unique in their own special way. I am a owner of Pam and Rollies but I tend to give my rollies a little more wrist time.

Just my 2 cents.
                    My madness so far:

Omega 2254.50

Pam 112 'N' Series
                    Pam 305 'O'Series
                    Rolex 6694
                    Rolex GMT 2 9 Million Series aka "FAT LADY"
                    Rolex Exp I 'Z' Series 114270
                    Rolex Exp II 'F' Series 16570
                    Rolex Sub 'V' Series 16610

Rolex Sub ND 'AN' Series 14060M
                    Rolex Milgauss GV 'M' Series
                    Rolex Milgauss White 'M' Series

Sinn U1 SDR
                    Seiko Darth Tuna SBDX011
                    Ball Deepquest
                    JLC Navy Seal diver 42mm

Comment

i think PAM kind of more suitable with business shirt..rollie can go with any shirt....

Comment

Originally posted by myjianrong View Post
                        i think PAM kind of more suitable with business shirt..rollie can go with any shirt....
                        On the contrary, i find PAMs kinda hard to wear with my business shirts because of its size. It just doesn't seem to wanna fit under my shirt sleeves. For business wear, i normally wear my sub or turn-o-graph and i will wear my PAM on my casual wear days.

Comment

Take 1 as the wife and the other as the mistress. The choice as to which falls under the specific categories is yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Alter_Ego View Post
                            On the contrary, i find PAMs kinda hard to wear with my business shirts because of its size. It just doesn't seem to wanna fit under my shirt sleeves. For business wear, i normally wear my sub or turn-o-graph and i will wear my PAM on my casual wear days.
                            same sentiments. My 6694 for office wear and Pam for casual wear.
                            I'm in bad company........

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X