Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

konek..... me wearing 16233 also no good easy life
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Limm View Post
      Wow Kt2U!
      You provided an excellent summary of changes/differences to 4 DD models over past 40 years in 4 lines!

this is the best short and sweet answer I seen, cleared all my doubts thank you!
      paiseh lah... just sharing the research I did when shopping for a day date... almost bought a bark finish 18038 until I talked to an uncle at watch shop who convinced me double quickset is the way to go. I also agree 18238 is the best value right now unless one can get a really good deal on a 118238 (the difference is at least 5K), because I think the movement is identical and the changes are more cosmetic... although many have reported that the updated bracelet is far superior than the old one. You can also get a 118238 on an oyster bracelet which is less prone to stretching as opposed to the traditional president bracelet.

Comment

But the president bracelet is iconic! That's why I buy solid gold

If not I would buy a Submariner or Daytona solid gold with oyster bracelet better

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

yea. i do agree with bro.
          Dream List :
          Patek Philippe 5167

Comment

DD 1803 only 35mm compare withe other DD 36mm. 1803 with leather strap selling $5,000 can check different tread.
            AP Vulcano 42mm
            AP Rubberclad 42mm
            PAM Chrono 1000 ( 187 ) 47mm
            PAM Power Reserve ( 090 D ) 44mm
            PAM GMT ( 297 L ) 44mm
            PAM Radiomir GMT ( 184 H ) 42mm
            IWC Aquatimer Titanium split min 42 mm
            Sinn U1 44mm ( 1000m )
            Rolex Daytona WG 116519 40mm
            Rolex GMT 16700 40mm
            Rolex Oyster stainless 1501 34mm
            Rolex Gold Pocket watch 40mm ( 1938 )
            Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon 40mm
            Tag Heuer Professional white face 38mm

Comment

Hi Kt2U and all ,thanks again.

am I right in dating the models the following way based on my own observation:-

118238-(double quickset) early 2000s to current day.
              18238--(double quickset) mid 90s to late 90s.
              18038--(single quickset (date) late 80s to mid 90s
              1803---(non quickset) early 80s to late 80s.

I read the first DD appeared in 1957, what model was that anyone know?

My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
              1) WG DIA 18239
              2) YG DIA 18238
              3) WG 18239
              4) YG 18238
              5) YG 18248G Bark
              6) WG DIA 18039
              7) WG 18039
              8) YG 18038
              9) Tridor DIA 18039B
              10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
              11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
              12) WG 1803
              13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
              1)GMT II 116718 18K
              2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
              1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
              2)D15037 14k
              3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

it is also interesting to note that the DD in the old advert came in a oyster style bracelet and not the president bracelet.

my interest in DDs made me interested in not just the watch but its develpment and history over the past 50 years.not sure if there are other DD fanatics like me out there
                1) WG DIA 18239
                2) YG DIA 18238
                3) WG 18239
                4) YG 18238
                5) YG 18248G Bark
                6) WG DIA 18039
                7) WG 18039
                8) YG 18038
                9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                12) WG 1803
                13) YG 1803

1)GMT II 116718 18K

Others
                1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                2)D15037 14k
                3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

it is also interesting to note that the DD in the old advert came in a oyster style bracelet and not the president bracelet.

my interest in DDs made me interested in not just the watch but its develpment and history over the past 50 years.not sure if there are other DD fanatics like me out there
                  1 right here...but I havent got mine yet...still saving

I believe 1803 is more of 70s to 80s...or earlier. It SHOULD be the earliest DD.

Comment

If you haven't seen this blog yet, check it out. Fantastic read about the history of Rolex President... http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2008/0...nt-part-1.html

Comment

The first model came out in 1956 which is the 6511. The one in your picture should be the 6611 since it has the COSC wording. Check this page out http://www.secondtimeround.com/day%2...20history.html

Based on the above, the timeline should be

18238--(double quickset) early 90s to late 90s.
                      18038--(single quickset (date) early 80s to late 80s
                      1803---(non quickset) early 70s to early 80s

Comment

Originally posted by kt2u View Post
                        If you haven't seen this blog yet, check it out. Fantastic read about the history of Rolex President... http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2008/0...nt-part-1.html
                        Oh yes I heard about this blog before

Comment

DD 18078 purchased in 1983, after so many years still so beautiful, no need botox injection

Comment

Hi SamGmt,
                            that is a fantastic DD!
                            Thanks for sharing.
                            the difference in the model number is because of the bezel?
                            may I ask how much was the price of your DD back in 1983 if you remember?
                            I was told all DD owners in the past never lost money because if you have it long enough , even the pre-owned prices can eventually catch up with your purchase price!

Hi Kt2u

thank you again, this is a fantastic read of the DD and thanks for sorting out the dating of the models.

I am posting this for the benefit of others easy read:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            DAY DATE

Released in 1956 after Rolex had been enjoying quite a barren spell in the sale of its manufactured complicated timepieces it soon began to revive fortune. This new 6511 the "Day Date" had a window at 12 spelling out the day at 12 and the date was shown at 3. Due to the complexity of the watch, with its automatic movement, additional day and date discs and a screw down back it was a very large and thick watch which gave it presence on the wrist. Introduced as a niche model it soon gained the popularity it deserves and after the introduction of the concealed clasp it was known as the "President"

The Day Date became Rolex's flagship and saviour. The first model (6511) lasted just over a year before it was replaced by the externally identical 6611. This model featured the new calibre 1055 movement with its free sprung Micro-Stella balance and was the first to be labelled " Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" on the dial. This new accuracy standard guaranteed the watch to remain within + 3.0 seconds per day.

The Day Date earned the nickname the "President" when Rolex reportedly gave one to the then President of the United States Dwight Eisenhower. It is believed that President Eisenhower was given this watch in conjunction with the launch of the concealed clasp.

These early models did not have the hack feature and appeared rather bulky. In their never ending quest to modernize the basic configuration of the Day Date, Rolex designers have changed from the bulbus bubbleback look of the early models to the slender shape employed today.
                            With only a few mild case design changes over the years the first modification to the Day Date was the addition of the hack feature in 1972. This allowed the second hand to be stopped dead if you wanted to set the time via a preset accurate source. At this time the shape of the head was essentially the same as it is today. The Day Date was available in white gold, yellow gold, pink gold and platinum although during the early 1930's the pink gold watch was fazed out.

The " Quick set " feature solved one of the watches biggest problems. Introduced in the late 1970's Quick set was added to all Rolex models by 1983. Instead of turning the crown round and round to change the date the wearer could just pull the button out half way and a few turns at most and the correct date was displayed.

The introduction of the quick set feature also coincided with other developments for the Day Date. The inclusion of the sapphire crystal not only gave the watch a sleeker look but also added to the durability of the watch. The sapphire crystal fitted tighter than the plastic glass employed before and rendered the watch glass scratch proof near enough. The early Day Date models were waterproof to 165 feet ( 50 meters) while the current model is safe at depths of upto 100 meters. At the same time the current model is much slimmer.

In addition to the advancements structurally and internally Rolex introduced a new number system that is still in use for today on some models. They added an extra digit to the model number. This number although denoted a new line actually represented the material the watch was when it left the product line.

Introduced at the end of 1990 was the "Double Quick Set" watch. This was model 18238 and it made the setting of the Day and Date even easier as they could both be done on the button. Rolex has also increasingly expanded their "Crown Collection" to include all types of precious stones by now although they were available with diamonds on the bezel from their introduction.

From the end of 2000 the Day Date has been available in pink gold again. The watch has also been introduced with a doomed sapphire mineral glass and can come on an oyster bracelet to bring it in line with many of their other models.

The Day Date across the world has become synonymous with class and style. This watch remains one of the most prestigious additions a man can have to his wardrobe.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            1) WG DIA 18239
                            2) YG DIA 18238
                            3) WG 18239
                            4) YG 18238
                            5) YG 18248G Bark
                            6) WG DIA 18039
                            7) WG 18039
                            8) YG 18038
                            9) Tridor DIA 18039B
                            10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
                            12) WG 1803
                            13) YG 1803

1)GMT II 116718 18K

Others
                            1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
                            2)D15037 14k
                            3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

Hi SamGmt,
                              that is a fantastic DD!
                              Thanks for sharing.
                              the difference in the model number is because of the bezel?
                              may I ask how much was the price of your DD back in 1983 if you remember?
                              I was told all DD owners in the past never lost money because if you have it long enough , even the pre-owned prices can eventually catch up with your purchase price!

It's normal...usually u can recover the watch value in ard 10 years...works for MOST Rolex models

Comment

Me, Me ! Also a fans of DD , eyeing a WG DD for very long alry , but still haven't come across any good deal .
                                Focal JM_Labs .
                                "The Sprits Of Sounds".

Rolex WG Daytona D series Silver dial 116509
                                Rolex RG DD II with pink diamond dial V Series 218235
                                Rolex YG President DD with Diamond and Ruby 18038
                                Rolex Explorer I Black D series 114270
                                Rolex DJ TT Grey Dial 16233
                                Rolex Precision 6694 Black Dial
                                Rolex Precision 6694 Silver Dial
                                Rolex Oyster Perpetual Z series black dial 176200
                                Panerai 233K 8 days power reserve
                                Cartier Santos 100XL
                                Hublot Big Bang Edition 44mm

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X