GMT-Master 16700 and GMT-Master II 16710

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMT-Master 16700 and GMT-Master II 16710

Hi! I am newbie to Rolex watches and I am planning to get the GMT-Master/II in the next few days. I saw a GMT-Master 16700, black face with black bezel and the 2nd hand dealer told me that this is a rare piece and it is better than the GMT-Master II 16710 as it is a discontinued model and the movement is better than the 16710 model. The price of the 16700 is more expensive than the 16710.
    Appreciate if the experts out there can advice me which model has a better value?
    Thanks!
    Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 M
    Rolex GMT-Master II 116710 M
    Rolex GMT-Master I 16700 U
    Rolex Explorer II 16570 Z
    Rolex Air-King 114200 M
    Omega SeaMaster
    Tag Heuer 6000 series, 90's Swatch watches, Seikos and Russian watches

16700 is a earlier version of 16710.

both have already been discontinued.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Hi Triton,

Thanks! I have read this forum and there are many great information on the watches. What I would like to know is which one would be a better investment and I heard that the 16700 is quite rare. Is it true? The 16700 is more expensive than the 16710 in the shop.
      Rolex Air-King 114200 M
      Omega SeaMaster

Comment

Originally posted by williamsgl View Post
        Hi! I am newbie to Rolex watches and I am planning to get the GMT-Master/II in the next few days. I saw a GMT-Master 16700, black face with black bezel and the 2nd hand dealer told me that this is a rare piece and it is better than the GMT-Master II 16710 as it is a discontinued model and the movement is better than the 16710 model. The price of the 16700 is more expensive than the 16710.
        Appreciate if the experts out there can advice me which model has a better value?
        Thanks!
        which shop is that? perhaps u could try to look for the info here or try rolex forum and ask this chap JJ Irani.
        Remnants of my irresponsibility:
        "Foreign affections"
        1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
        2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
        3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
        4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
        What's NEXT?

Comment

i think u also have to do your research properly.

This is solely on my own opinion.. others may feel necessary to refute my opinion, I am perfectly okay with that.

The 16700 maybe more expensive now but will it be when you want to sell it later? If much of the appreciation in value was collected when he sold the 16700 to you now, will u be able to gain more from that in future? So its not necessaryily true that the 16710 which is cheaper now, will not fetch more than what the 16700 can fetch later.

Pardon my ignorance but I do feel that OLD is not necessaryily better. There have to be a demand for it to be more valuable in future and most likely, you have to be the one who have it earlier (either the 1st or 2nd owner) to benefit most of the watch appreciation in value.

If yr purpose of getting a watch is solely for investment (most probably you buy it and keep it, never to wear it and only appreciate it.. hey it rhyme), then go into details by doing more research. From the sounds of it, you are not a player, so maybe you should take more time to study and understand it before diving into a purchase by just getting your feedback from a forum or two.

Good luck dude.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
          - GMT II
          - GMT IIc TT
          - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
          - Master Eight Days (1608420)
          - U1
          - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Thanks!
            can reveal the quoted price? I think with the price the experts can give you a better advice.
            Last edited by daveevan; 12-01-08, 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Thanks for the advice! Yep, this will be my first Rolex and I am definitely not a player. I have been trawling through the Internet to get as much information as possible but nothing much surfaced (Maybe I have been diving into the wrong spots). The price quoted for the 16700 is 5.8K and the 16710 is 5.5K.
              Rolex Air-King 114200 M
              Omega SeaMaster

Comment

the 16700 is definitely more of a collector piece. If it's your first GMt, for practical purposes I would get a 16710 as a more practical user. Also being discontinued, the prices have begun to climb and have more space to climb than the 16700.

At $5.8k, it is very expensive. I wouldn't pay more than $5k for it ... and even then, only with papers.

$5.5k for 16710 these days is cheap. More typically they go for closer to $6k.

Comment

The 16700 is definitely rarer than the 16710.But I dun tink its a better movement.You cannot indepently slew the 24 hr hand.Remember.....dealers will tell you anything to sell their watch.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
                    i think u also have to do your research properly.

This is solely on my own opinion.. others may feel necessary to refute my opinion, I am perfectly okay with that.

The 16700 maybe more expensive now but will it be when you want to sell it later? If much of the appreciation in value was collected when he sold the 16700 to you now, will u be able to gain more from that in future? So its not necessaryily true that the 16710 which is cheaper now, will not fetch more than what the 16700 can fetch later.

Pardon my ignorance but I do feel that OLD is not necessaryily better. There have to be a demand for it to be more valuable in future and most likely, you have to be the one who have it earlier (either the 1st or 2nd owner) to benefit most of the watch appreciation in value.

Good analysis bro! Couldn't agree more!

another thing i dun feel safe about expensive 'collector' watch is its reliability, it may just break down anytime & will cost a bomb to repair.

JLC / Omega / Sinn / Breitling / Baume & Mercier / Zenith / Rolex / Tag Heuer / Panerai / VC / Longines / Seiko / Citizen / Casio

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE.

Comment

Hi guys,

since this thread is about the desirability of the discontinued 16710, I would juz like to add that there was an interesting topic about it, particularly for the 16710 owners, in another forum. Apparently, there is talk of variations in the movement as conventionally found in the 16710. It had been mentioned that the newer movement 3186 that is in the 116710 (GMT Master II with Ceramic bezel) was also found in a Z series GMT Master II 16710 . If this is true, then it defies much that had been written about the last series of the discontinued 16710 and could perhaps raised the potential collectibility of such 16710s. anyway for the benefit of those interested, here's the link to that thread:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...7164&rid=26403

BTW, not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to another forum but if its prohibited, please delete.
                      HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THOSE WHO
                      REALIZE THERE'S NEVER A RIGHT WAY.

ONLY A BETTER WAY.

Comment

that's an interesting "discovery"..... let's see how that thread develops over in timezone.....
                        the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
                        visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the feedbacks and advice! I am still "Rolexless" but intend to get the new blue face with orange numbers Air-King for my wife. I couldn't find it anywhere in Singapore but today Dickson called me that 1 piece just arrived. This will set me back $4.6K. Wonder if this model is worth the price to pay?
                          Rolex Air-King 114200 M
                          Omega SeaMaster

Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the feedbacks and advice! I am still "Rolexless" but intend to get the new blue face with orange numbers Air-King for my wife. I couldn't find it anywhere in Singapore but today Dickson called me that 1 piece just arrived. This will set me back $4.6K. Wonder if this model is worth the price to pay?

since it will be on ur wife's wrists, does she like it?

if it is going to be shared between both of u, do u both like it?

if like, why bother what others say.
                            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                            1. subject heading indicating your issue
                            2. your nick
                            3. your corresponding email address
                            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I couldn't find it anywhere in Singapore but today Dickson called me that 1 piece just arrived. This will set me back $4.6K. Wonder if this model is worth the price to pay?
                              i saw this at watch palace a few weeks ago......
                              the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
                              visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X