No announcement yet.

GMT IIC or SUB? Hard choice to make...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMT IIC or SUB? Hard choice to make...

Need some advice here as I'm a total rollie newbie.

Considering between a GMT IIC and SUB, both basic black dial one. Understand SUB is a newer model although price is slightly higher. Honestly I like both but budget only allow for one Which is more worth buying now?

Also I was in Italy recently and was quoted SGD7350 (after VAT deduction) for an EXP II. Think that is cheaper than here in SG? Too bad that time didn't ask the price for both GMT IIC or SUB. Wondering are these models cheaper to buy in Italy too? Cos some friends may be going there soon and thinking of asking them to buy if the price is really cheaper.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I feel the poison is starting to take effect liao...

If you travel a lot than I think the GMT IIc is a more suitable watch for you. Otherwise I prefer the Submariner anytime, cleaner dial.

Because of the strong Sing dollars lately, I think buying any Rolex model from Europe could be cheaper. Moreover you can claim VAT over there, but need pay GST here.

Comment

If poison start to take effect then buy 2 lor.

Comment

my advice is buy the one that you like more. before your friends travel overseas, check out the local AD to see how much they selling for the one you interested in. you can also have a 'estimate' street value by checking the garage section. then with a price in mind, tell your friend(s) that below $X, buy. that is it. remember to factor in the exchange rate on top of VAT.

you check price for explorer II, is it black or white dial or no difference in price. recently, a friend of mine secure a white explorer II less than what you have been quoted. so is it cheaper overseas? dont know. my friend bought it within the last 2 weeks.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by vinmiche View Post
          Considering between a GMT IIC and SUB, both basic black dial one. Understand SUB is a newer model although price is slightly higher. Honestly I like both but budget only allow for one Which is more worth buying now?
          in the rolex product "totem pole," the gmt master 2 will always be priced cheaper than the sub.

the gmt2C has been around for much longer than the subC. therefore it wil be easier to get a reasonably priced gmt2C.

as such, i recommend buying a pre-owned gmt2C locally and trying it out first as the two watches are shaped similarly.

the gmt2C has a slightly thicker case and a shallower caseback when compared to the subC. as such, it may feel a little different (depending on how fat your wrists is) when worn. so try both out before buying either.

besides a lower entry price, you are getting a more "useful" supercase rolex watch too! (extra gmt hand)

if you like the gmt2c, you can keep it. if you like the new supercase but prefer a sub, you can sell it or trade it in for the new subC which will cost more.

if you don't like new supercase, then maybe you should consider getting a classic oyster case...

whatever the case may be (pun intended), if you're unsure, i recommend not paying too much while you "test water"...

BUT having said that, some people need to own a watch in order to know they don't like it.

whether or not you're someone like that, be aware that it MIGHT happen to you!

happy watch hunting!
          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I just bought my new GMTII (ceramic bezel) last night after looking and trying the Sub (both black and green ones) and the GMTII at Hour Glass.
            I may be wrong, but my observation is the GMT is thinner than the Sub because the Sub has a protrusion under the case. The black Sub if I did not remember wrongly cost lesser than the GMTII.

My personal preference is the GMTII serves a purpose with its 3 time zone function and looks better with the 3rd green hand and thinner case.

Still have not gotten over the thrill yet for my new LorLek....

Comment

Originally posted by Cklasse View Post
              I just bought my new GMTII (ceramic bezel) last night after looking and trying the Sub (both black and green ones) and the GMTII at Hour Glass.
              I may be wrong, but my observation is the GMT is thinner than the Sub because the Sub has a protrusion under the case. The black Sub if I did not remember wrongly cost lesser than the GMTII.

My personal preference is the GMTII serves a purpose with its 3 time zone function and looks better with the 3rd green hand and thinner case.

Still have not gotten over the thrill yet for my new LorLek....
              Another piece of good news. Congratz!

But I wonder which "black sub" model are you referring to, that is less costly than the GMTIIc - 16610 or 116610?
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

please note that the VAT refund to you via card or cheque, is not the full amt. The company handling refund charge, I think abt 20%, and if the refund is via cheque, you will have to pay the foreign bank another fee :-(. I don't think the retailer will tell you about these charges. Once I have a VAT refund of S$28 but the foreign bank is charging $50 for clearing! In the end I go no refund

Comment

Originally posted by Cklasse View Post
                  The black Sub if I did not remember wrongly cost lesser than the GMTII.
                  i'm unsure about local pricing because i don't pay retail. other members can probably keep us informed...
                  “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                    i'm unsure about local pricing because i don't pay retail. other members can probably keep us informed...
                    hong kong shd be even cheaper and plus it doesnt have any taxes...shd get it there

Comment

My preference would definitely be the GMTIIc. Both GMTIIc and the Sub are iconic Rolex pieces, but the GMTIIc features an additional GMT complication over the plain-vanilla Sub, yet is cheaper! Aesthetically, I prefer the Sub's all-brushed bracelet though.

But still, buy the one that you personally like!

Watch Collection (click for photos!)
                      Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust
                      Tag Heuer Classic 2000 Limited Edition Red/Green Dial
                      Seiko Titanium Samurai
                      Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Limited Series
                      Panerai Luminor 1950 Marina 3 Days Automatic
                      IWC Ingenieur
                      Sinn U Black (THG Limited Edition)
                      Chopard Gran Turismo XL Alfa Romeo (Limited Edition) (sold)
                      Panerai Luminor 1950 Submersible 1000M
                      IWC Portuguese Automatic

Comment

Buy the one that you like.
                        Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Was in the same situation as you but in the end bought a 3 mths old GMT IIc juz last week coz it's cheaper, in ceramic bezel & with 3 times zone as well as green hand.

Comment

aiyo you all very 'bad'... now i confirm kenna poisioned liao!

but seriously, many thanks for all the great advice and tips! here's my interim decision after considering all factors: like GMT2C green hand, like SUB all-brushed bracelet, like SUB cleaner looks, like GMT2C cheaper price, don't know like which one for the wearing feel as haven't try yet. so guess just going to try both and decide then.

will update again after i get my rollie. once again, thanks for the helpfulness. cheers!

Comment

Maybe trying both on, will help you to decide easier. Cheers for your upcoming purchase.
                              Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X